KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I remember seeing he was going through the process a couple months ago. It must have been the intention to do both. Most of those guys do have other jobs.

Getting your real estate license is not a two week process. There’s something like 100 hours of required classroom time and exams.

Real estate is what you make of it. I think the average real estate agent in DM only sells like 6 houses a year.

Actually you have to work your Sphere of Influence.....write a dozen or so personal notes every day to people you know and market yourself to the best of your ability......That's real estate 101...btw I was a GRI aka Graduate of the Realtor Institute.....

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Actually you have to work your Sphere of Influence.....write a dozen or so personal notes every day to people you know and market yourself to the best of your ability......That's real estate 101...btw I was a GRI aka Graduate of the Realtor Institute.....

That’s kind of what I meant by it’s what you make of it. Obviously there’s some salesmanship involved but the time and effort you put into it definitely pays. You have to be willing to work ****** hours or you’re not going far.

I have a parent that does it in the metro. Works a lot of off hours but also sells a lot of residential property, relatively speaking. They love it but their wired that way. Started doing it, coincidentally, after getting laid off.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The first post wondered "If podcasts are advertiser sponsored, don't most people not even listen to the attached commercials?"
That post had a response "Hosts do live reads in many cases."
I was simply adding the clarification that those live reads aren't somehow golden in comparison to attached or embedded commercials -- but that they too can be skipped. I had no intention of claiming one medium's superiority or inferiority to any other medium. Nor was I trying to say that live reads aren't more effective, as they clearly are for many reasons.
Though to be fair -- doing something else during a commercial is not the same thing as skipping past the commercial.

well i am 100% with you that in terms of what can save the media, nothing will. Live reads will give them a slow death as well. It really sucks when users vow to their fate to one vendor when they podcast they like and never purchase a thing from that advertistere.

Like homemakers. We like it, but i cant believe they are in business long

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Somewhere in an office, Gary Barta is asking a peon to hold his beer so he can one-up this PR debacle KXNO has caused the last two days.

Not really. KXNO admitted they were wrong. When has Barta ever done that? see: Dolph suspension.

i.e...Barta has already "one-up'd" this PR blemish...more than once I might add.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and mj4cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If they don't have an app for reservations then I'm out, I hate talking to people.

Twenty25 en haute de l'Amend.

"Don't mind the residual aroma left over from the meat packing operations, it went out of commission in 2020."

Missed 10 pages of the thread after everybody got booted from KXNO and jumped to the last page and this was the first post.

This me:

giphy.gif

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Found out this morning that as part of the simulcast on 106.3, The Woody Show will no longer be on the air in Des Moines, along with the only station to play alternative music programming.

I literally stopped listening to KXNO because of that ridiculously awful morning show of theirs. I switched to the Woody Show and would usually leave the radio on 106.3 for the ride home from work too.

I am glad that some of those people got their jobs back, but....

Last edited:

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Found out this morning that as part of the simulcast on 106.3, The Woody Show will no longer be on the air in Des Moines, a long with the only station to play alternative music programming.

I literally stopped listening to KXNO because of that ridiculously awful morning show of theirs. I switched to the Woody Show and would usually leave the radio on 106.3 for the ride home from work too.

This is actually a great example of why the KXNO team should be on 106.3.
The majority of people (based on the outcry this week), want local content.

The national syndication stuff isn't going away. And guess what, if you really like that, I'm sure you can stream it through the iheart app.

If the local content goes away, it's gone.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

The national syndication stuff isn't going away. And guess what, if you really like that, I'm sure you can stream it through the iheart app.

Agree, local is leaps and bounds better than national.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Found out this morning that as part of the simulcast on 106.3, The Woody Show will no longer be on the air in Des Moines, a long with the only station to play alternative music programming.

Same.

I’ll be subscribing to their podcast once the switch is made. Nice to have a good laugh on the way to work each morning

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

Cant really stream it in my car to and from work. But yes, I can stream at work.

I think iHeart is in for a shock for how much smaller their audience for 106.3 will now become.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Cant really stream it in my car to and from work. But yes, I can stream at work.

I think iHeart is in for a shock for how much smaller their audience for 106.3 will now become.
I haven't used it yet but a local alternative music station here advertises the radio.com app to stream them and it's free. Doesn't help the local station for alternative though.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

....or they'll be pleased how many more sport talk listeners they now reach at 25,000W vs 5,000W. I"m sure that is what they are banking on.

As someone else pointed out, there are other alternatives to 106.3. There isn't for local sports talk.

My guess this is a huge win and they realize it....otherwise the rehires would not have happened.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
From northpine.com:
Nielsen Audio ratings show KXNO has more than two-thirds of the Sports audience in Des Moines despite having two competitors, including one with an FM translator. KXNO also has a consistently higher 12+ share than Alt 106.3, which was the lowest-rated of the core commercial full-power FM signals in the market (though it had been trending upward).

http://www.northpine.com/blog/2020/01/1 ... hem-to-fm/

IowaRealEstate

Oct 15, 2012
Ankeny
www.CharterHouseIowa.com
Some real estate chatter in here and since I am involved, I am happy to separate fact from fiction for any who care to know the truth on a couple things.

1. Ross is joining Charter House and is excited to do so. Ross and I have been friends for years and he is excited to be able to help people in central Iowa buy and sell homes.
He is currently going through his licensing process and should be available to help people sometime in February. We think Ross will do an AWESOME job and if you need to buy or sell, we hope you will give him a shot.

2. The licensing process is pretty straightforward. You do an online course to start. Read a chapter and take a test. This takes 40-60 hours depending on the person.
After that you take 3 in-person classes that takes one week to complete.
You must pass a background check and then you take the real estate exam which is comprised on a state and national portion which covers real estate laws and procedures.
The whole process, including becoming a member of an MLS will cost right around $2,000.

3. It is true that nationally, the average real estate agent does not make a lot of money. Keep in mind these numbers get skewed by people doing it part time or just 1 or 2 deals per year to help friends or family.
The agents doing real estate "full time" at Charter House made $79,000 on average last year. All of them have been in real estate less than 3 years. Each agent pays Charter House $5,000 per year to be part of this firm. That is extremely low in this world.

Hope this clears up a few things. I am HAPPY for Ross and for Chris that they got fired. They both came out of this thing better than before and that is a great thing for both of them!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I had the Woody Show on for a few minutes as I was coming to work this morning in KC. They were talking about being knocked out of the Des Moines market. It sounded like they found out about just like everyone else did and received no internal word that they wouldn't be there any more. It could have been PR, but they sounded legitimately upset about how it went down. They proceeded to talk up the Des Moines listeners as well as the Iowa State Fair and other events.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron