Twister Sister Summary - more of the same leads to another loss

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I could start cutting and pasting comments from previous postings and it would describe this game. I’ll just summarize:
1. Point guard dribbles and players stand around. Guard dribbles some more.
2. Team plays well for three quarters.
3. Team disappears for one quarter. (This time the fourth quarter as TCU shot 53% and ISU shot 23%)
4. Team loses due to #3.
5. Only three players contribute offensively.
6. Scoring from Rae disappears again

Strange things happened in this game. ISU out rebounded the toads in dominating fashion and yet, TCU had more shots on basket and made more. How does this happen? 18 turnovers. The guard play is just killing this team right now. It sure explains why so many guards were recruited for next year. Any early enrollees?

Nice to see Maddie back in there again. Unfortunately she has to work her way back into being a contributor. Nez seeing less time. Washington and Thurmon aren’t impacting as we might have hoped.

So, the big question is...is this team so limited in the guard court that getting to 50% in league play is a pipe dream? Home court is no longer an advantage. The game is four quarters long and the ladies are playing three. Can this be fixed? Right now I just don’t know.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Concerning guard play -
1. That was CBF's first comment post game - you need good guard play to win in the Big 12. Given this, I surprised that we didn't see Washington at all.
2. Ray plays her heart out, but the extended dribbling out front drives us all crazy. Seems the first goal is to get the ball to the post, but the defense is on that scheme.
Most players seem to stand around too much while she dribbles, waits for a screen. Who's at fault - her for excessive dribbling or players standing around, or both?
3. Just seems like we need more motion in the offense ??

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Concerning guard play -
1. That was CBF's first comment post game - you need good guard play to win in the Big 12. Given this, I surprised that we didn't see Washington at all.
2. Ray plays her heart out, but the extended dribbling out front drives us all crazy. Seems the first goal is to get the ball to the post, but the defense is on that scheme.
Most players seem to stand around too much while she dribbles, waits for a screen. Who's at fault - her for excessive dribbling or players standing around, or both?
3. Just seems like we need more motion in the offense ??
Totally agree. I can’t understand why the coaches don’t see this. One point guard must be on the favorite list and one isn’t

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Have you seen Nia in the games - she struggles much more than Rae, there is no favoritism, just the previous results.

Yes, I agree, but she usually gets in for a few minutes. Looked like (last game or so), they had a set play with team mates clearing out for her to drive to the bucket and dish off if she was overly covered. But she didn't even see the floor last night.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Who's at fault - her for excessive dribbling or players standing around, or both?

If nobody is cutting, picking or moving to get open, what choice does she have - pick it up and get trapped?

Haven't we been making this complaint about CBF teams for 15 years?

• Winner
Reactions: ISU71

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Yes, I agree, but she usually gets in for a few minutes. Looked like (last game or so), they had a set play with team mates clearing out for her to drive to the bucket and dish off if she was overly covered. But she didn't even see the floor last night.

I think you are thinking of Jade - not Nia.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
If nobody is cutting, picking or moving to get open, what choice does she have - pick it up and get trapped?

Haven't we been making this complaint about CBF teams for 15 years?

Yes, I'd agree. If the players stand around, it creates a trapping situation, even if still dribbling as defense even double teams her. She can't win when this happens.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big 12 overall: ISU 4th in scoring, 9th in scoring defense

Big 12 only games: ISU 2nd in scoring, 9th in scoring defense

Big 12 overall and Big 12 only: Opponent turnovers, ISU, dead last. In conference play by a huge margin.

Anything stand out there? And everyone is pointing out bad point guard play, bad referees and not getting to shoot enough free throws?

We more than hold our own scoring but this is not a good defensive team. Only the woeful defense of Marlene's Texas Tech team gives up more points in conference play. We essentially tied for 4th in scoring defense last year which was maybe not noticed since we lead the league in scoring. Average defense would probably get us to .500. Even our bad defense might get us close considering OSU, Kansas and KSU aren’t good at either end of the court although I am not optimistic considering the trend.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Big 12 overall: ISU 4th in scoring, 9th in scoring defense

Big 12 only games: ISU 2nd in scoring, 9th in scoring defense

Big 12 overall and Big 12 only: Opponent turnovers, ISU, dead last. In conference play by a huge margin.

Anything stand out there? And everyone is pointing out bad point guard play, bad referees and not getting to shoot enough free throws?

We more than hold our own scoring but this is not a good defensive team. Only the woeful defense of Marlene's Texas Tech team gives up more points in conference play. We essentially tied for 4th in scoring defense last year which was maybe not noticed since we lead the league in scoring. Average defense would probably get us to .500. Even our bad defense might get us close considering OSU, Kansas and KSU aren’t good at either end of the court although I am not optimistic considering the trend.

Imagine where we would be if the offense was more efficient and didn’t turn the ball over? Less defense to play. Fewer chances for the other team to score..

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Have you seen Nia in the games - she struggles much more than Rae, there is no favoritism, just the previous results.
I’m referring to Jade. It seems like good ball movement, less dribble, more passes, and less standing around.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Re: standing and watching the dribbler. I could say many things, but I choose not to. All I will say is, IMO, "its not the players". Its the system.

tomvet

Aug 30, 2014
This team is going nowhere unless we do something different at the point. The knock on Jade is that she can't score and turns the ball over, well...... that's what we have right now. The difference is the Jade is much quicker. Let her drive the basket and either make a layup or kick the ball to a player who can score. At least something is happening rather than everyone standing around waiting for the clock to run down. Jade needs a chance to get some floor time and get comfortable and show her stuff rather than be on the floor for 15 seconds at a time like she was 2 games ago. On a happier note, its a real pleasure to watch Joens and Scott play; Ashley is such a competitor and fighter and Scott is just a wonderful player. They are right up there with the finest that have ever worn the cardinal and gold. Go Cyclones!

• Agree
Reactions: geewago and SMP05

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Based on the results of past few years in both basketball teams I think it is time to call TJ and Aus and ask them to come home!

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Re: standing and watching the dribbler. I could say many things, but I choose not to. All I will say is, IMO, "its not the players". Its the system.

This is the one area where I feel CBF needs to take a hard look. I know Kristin is a very good player and Ashley is even better but we can not come down the court every time thinking it has to go to one of them first. Rae gets too many complaints about her play when she is just doing what was called from the bench. Let her or who ever is playing the point just take it to the hoop or to the first open player and go from there. We too many times get into the situation of we HAVE to run a play but it is not open so we dribble hoping it comes open.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It's not the system...it's the lack of players in some positions (that's recruiting or how players pan out). When we have a more complete team (see last year if you've forgotten) which includes a good point guard then we succeed. The lack of a point player along with the game changes discussed over and over leave us where we are at. BUT if you find yourself in a position where what you've been successful with isn't working you have to be able to make adjustments. One of the more famous of those was in football last year when the DC went to the 3 man front.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'll get killed for this but I'll say it anyway. Ever notice the big difference between ISU teams and all the other teams in the conference? I get that Bill recruits the midwest and a good portion of midwest players look like the players we have but at some point...Bill has to start recruiting athletes. When I see our team I don't see athletes. I see online all the time ISU fans making fun of Fran for recruiting all white boys but guess what? That's our girls team. We need some players with athleticism and edge and I'm not seeing that.

You want to talk defense? It starts with athleticism...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron