KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
. . . which can be skipped but that's not always convenient (especially in a car) (and presuming pre-recorded content).

And this is different from any other medium how? If I'm watching TV or listening to the radio, I can switch channels during commercial breaks and then come back.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
. . . which can be skipped but that's not always convenient (especially in a car) (and presuming pre-recorded content).

In the podcast world live reads are more effective as you don't hear a change in voice. I can hit fast forward on my app until I hear the host voice return if it's a commercial break, but not viable for live reads.

Also live reads are unpredictable in length. If you go to commercial you know you have a couple minutes before you need to return.

Live reads can be more funny too as it's spontaneous as the advertiser wants the hosts to play around with the material rather than be robotic.

edit: not really replying to Ted specifically, just a general comment on Live Reads.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don’t think people realize how hard to enforce non competes are. Generally they are successful more as a deterrent than actually enforceable.

This is true having just signed one at my current employer. But...bigger companies have A LOT more money to spend on lawyers than an individual does.

So while an employee may win, how many are willing to spend the $$$ required to win? As my lawyer said - These companies may know they won’t win but are petty enough to tell their lawyers to drag it out as much as possible to make it as inconvenient and costly as they can.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Based off of Ross'/Chris'/Murph's recent tweets/posts, it makes me think that there may be something going behind the scenes. Makes me think they "rent their own time" from Iheart like Miller and Condon do or maybe going to 1700? Who knows.

Ross making a comment about "you haven't seen the last of me and my radio friends"
Chris posting here about "more news to come"
And Murph's tweet saying something about "your voice about local radio is definitely being heard by higher ups"

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cycsk

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
a bit off topic and maybe mentioned elsewhere, but travis hines missed his first b12 road game in 8 seasons now that trib and register are owned by the same company. losing a great reporter covering our team would really suck.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hopefully some local advertisers step up if there are ways to get these guys on the air somewhere....I'd buy from a company that I know stepped up to support them.

Last edited:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Based off of Ross'/Chris'/Murph's recent tweets/posts, it makes me think that there may be something going behind the scenes. Makes me think they "rent their own time" from Iheart like Miller and Condon do or maybe going to 1700? Who knows.

Ross making a comment about "you haven't seen the last of me and my radio friends"
Chris posting here about "more news to come"
And Murph's tweet saying something about "your voice about local radio is definitely being heard by higher ups"
Yep, something seems to be happening.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've been out of pocket this week. What did you guys do while I was away???
vauEUgn.gif

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
All you need is an FM radio and a cigarette lighter/12 volt charger and you can Bluetooth everything a modern car does, make calls, listen to podcasts or Spotify, you name it. And they cost less than $20.

Search Amazon for wireless Bluetooth FM transmitter.

shopping
I've used an FM transmitter before. I've also used a Bluetooth receiver plugged into an audio jack. When I had an iPhone I could connect via a USB connector in the car. My Android phone doesn't work using that USB interface. I've connected my phone and portable SiriusXM radio using about every means available in my last few cars. If we go far enough back I've even used a cassette deck with a special audio cassette to connect remote devices to my car radio. I find the audio jack works best with the Android. I expect my next car will have Android Auto built in. If it doesn't I'll probably look for a car that does.

2017Cyclone

Dec 1, 2017
a bit off topic and maybe mentioned elsewhere, but travis hines missed his first b12 road game in 8 seasons now that trib and register are owned by the same company. losing a great reporter covering our team would really suck.
He mentioned in the Ames Tribune podcast he and Randy would be switching off every road game due to the Ames Tribune switching.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron