OBJ Giving LSU players cash after game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is there a backstory to this smoking Joe thing?

The only thing I can think of are the old Smokin' Jay memes.

6a3.jpg

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
To be fair if you had just won the game, in the hysteria at mid-field, one of your most famous recent alums comes up to you and hands you something, it's not like you are going to investigate it before accepting it.

If a friend of mine came up and handed me something, I'm not gonna analyze it to see if it's coke or something.

Noticing it and pocketing it to keep it would be a different story, but I haven't read into it that far.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
To be fair if you had just won the game, in the hysteria at mid-field, one of your most famous recent alums comes up to you and hands you something, it's not like you are going to investigate it before accepting it.

If a friend of mine came up and handed me something, I'm not gonna analyze it to see if it's coke or something.

Noticing it and pocketing it to keep it would be a different story, but I haven't read into it that far.

Pocketing something? Unless football pants have changed since I played, there aren’t any pockets. Where do you put it? In your sock?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
the only people upset by this will be dead in 30 years.

In 30 years I'll be less than 90 YO. Planning on still being active enough to tell people to get off my lawn. And my issue is not so much that it happened but more so how this will all be glossed over and NCAA will do nothing.

Soon, activities like this will be swept under the "making money off image and likeness clause" and the playing field will continue to tilt.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Lyon309Cy

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
In 30 years I'll be less than 90 YO. Planning on still being active enough to tell people to get off my lawn. And my issue is not so much that it happened but more so how this will all be glossed over and NCAA will do nothing.

Soon, activities like this will be swept under the "making money off image and likeness clause" and the playing field will continue to tilt.

i too also hate change. why cant my life stay the same as it was when i was a small child. progress more like ball-less (they want to take are man-hood and make the frogs gay)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is it stupid OBJ can't give money to these kids? Yes. But the rules are well established at this point and handing them $100 bills on the 50 yard line with hundreds of cameras rolling is just idiotic.

• Agree
Reactions: Jerms and ArgentCy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Worst part is Odell was telling the kids at the 50 yards line, 'i told you I got you' he promised players money for winning. NCAA probably won't do anything though.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Worst part is Odell was telling the kids at the 50 yards line, 'i told you I got you' he promised players money for winning. NCAA probably won't do anything though.

I doubt the NCAA does anything to LSU or the kids, but at what point do they start restricting who gets sideline passes? The NCAA could do some sort of deal where any improper gifts would result in a banned from field pass lists or something. That may help more than laying the hammer on LSU.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I doubt the NCAA does anything to LSU or the kids, but at what point do they start restricting who gets sideline passes? The NCAA could do some sort of deal where any improper gifts would result in a banned from field pass lists or something. That may help more than laying the hammer on LSU.

Go to the team banquet hand out $100 hand shakes and nobody would have said a word or noticed.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Go to the team banquet hand out $100 hand shakes and nobody would have said a word or noticed.

That's really the underlying issue. The most blatant cheating is so hard to catch. A backpack full of cash is really easy to give to a college student with nobody being the wiser. It's telling that most things the NCAA catches are the more complex cases like sports memorabilia, family donations, ad endorsements, etc where somebody is trying to bend the rules. If you just outright cheat, it's harder to catch.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

So we have a cop who is harassing players for smoking after winning the biggest game of their lives and now OBJ has a warrant out for his arrest. Seems like NOPD is looking for attention

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

So we have a cop who is harassing players for smoking after winning the biggest game of their lives and now OBJ has a warrant out for his arrest. Seems like NOPD is looking for attention

I'm all for it. People shouldn't be able to do things a normal person couldn't just because they're good at football.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How is this any different than Lebron giving Ohio State players Beat headphones?