KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'll believe it when I see it. Rumors are there were over 1000 layoffs yesterday. Even if a fraction of those folks got new jobs, thats a LOT of legal cases.

Maybe this is naive, but I kind of think KXNO has something a bit unique when compared to the other iHeart stations that may have let people go so the other talent in other locations may not be in as high demand to get back on the air quickly. We are a small market, a college team market, and we have 2 power 5 schools that were heavily covered here. Not sure that type of combo in duplicated a lot of other places that iHeart may have have other sport talk stations.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ArgentCy

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Revenue from advertising is whatever the market will bear, too.

Stations have always charged more for commercial air time if the audience is larger. But a large audience does not necessarily mean businesses want to advertise during a program. It makes no financial sense to advertise a product that no one in the listening audience will buy. Luxury car ads are not on programs that target teens.

Think about the ads that historically air during a televised golf tournament as opposed to an MTV show.

Is it worthwhile to shell out $1000 for a few commercials if no one hears them? Or even if the message is heard, is it worth spending the $1000 if no one who hears the commercial will buy the product? It's a tough call for advertisers.

Super Bowl ads are the extreme. Is it a good Super Bowl ad if it is entertaining but no one can remember the product? I say not really. I suppose a business can gloat about being able to produce a Super Bowl worthy commercial and spend millions for 30 seconds, but does it sell product?

Again, it seems to me that the market determines a lot.

If an advertiser does not feel it is getting its money's worth from sponsoring a show, it will stop sponsoring the show. Seems to me that is just businesses doing business.

A station has to sell a fair amount of advertising to make a local show profitable unless the hosts are being paid not much more than minimum wage. Just the cost of electricity for an hour's worth of programming requires several paid advertisements.

Radio operations with live hosts is expensive. It can be the best broadcasting, but it is expensive.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not related to the layoffs (which suck. hard.), to me it shows the importance of spending your money locally. I’ve been guilty of convenience, Amazon, Target, etc but after I moved jobs a few years ago into the East Village, I’ve gotten to know some of the shop owners. That’s a HARD way to make a living.

This year I committed to buying all Christmas gifts locally and it wasn’t easy. But I did it. The more we all support local entities, the more ad dollars they have to pour into these guys’ next venture to reinvent local radio. It’s difficult but not impossible.

I live in a rural area and I buy absolutely as much as I can in town. If I want to go out to eat, I go in town, etc. If you you have these services in your area, and like them, you better support them.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Thought y'all would be interested to know the CF Podcast Network had its best day of the last six months yesterday and is on pace to surpass that today. We appreciate all of you who are listening.
Is it more beneficial to CF if I download or stream directly off the CF website as opposed to streaming on Spotify? Or does that not really matter? Either way is just as easy for me but I'd rather do whatever helps CF the most.

WhitUp

Sep 19, 2009
I always felt the local shows made KXNO, I would think 1700 the Champ would jump at the chance to steal all these shows with a ready made audience. If Marty Tirrell was making 200 K or whatever working for them, why is this not a viable option?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I always felt the local shows made KXNO, I would think 1700 the Champ would jump at the chance to steal all these shows with a ready made audience. If Marty Tirrell was making 200 K or whatever working for them, why is this not a viable option?
Wait, was Marty making that much?

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
right but it’s hard to believe they can make much money doing that.
Well if they are out there pounding the pavement for advertisers, they may get to keep all of the ad dollars. The other shows have sales people in their ad department thus more mouths to feed. If they are good at selling ads, they might make a nice living out of it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I do not think it is semantics -- good products and good customer experience first means a good company. I think we are converging to the same point.

:)

I still do think local media is a special case, though, because of the effect the Internet had on advertising revenues. Here is a chart for retail/department stores, which you aptly bring up as a comparison for another industry riled by the Internet --

47232146_15345119842963_rId6.png

So department stores lost around 33% of their sales to the rise of the Internet. Even that sector did not get the 75% ding that local media got. Plus, look at all that growth for the red line that I imagine the blue line was imagining would be theirs circa 1995.

Leveraged buyouts and the like are fine when you think you are buying into traditionally profitable industries, which local media was before the Internet. When that profitability dries up and collapses just a few years after deregulation let the dogs loose on consolidation of local monopolies, and all the sudden those monopolies are not profitable anymore, then the problem of those buyouts was not doing them in the first place, but doing them not realizing an entire sector's business model was about to become obsolete.

The companies doing the Leveraged Buyouts often know that they are screwing the company. They don't care because they are going to make tons of money on "advising" the companies and selling the debt. It's the debt markets and companies like GS able to sell these often times terrible deals ability that makes it possible.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Thought y'all would be interested to know the CF Podcast Network had its best day of the last six months yesterday and is on pace to surpass that today. We appreciate all of you who are listening.

Listening to your Fart right now (much better than that statement sounds). Stanz has been pumping out the content but I hope CW has stocked up on all the latest Energy Drinks. We haven't had one of those highly caffeinated episodes in a while.

Reactions: isutrevman

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Maybe this is naive, but I kind of think KXNO has something a bit unique when compared to the other iHeart stations that may have let people go so the other talent in other locations may not be in as high demand to get back on the air quickly. We are a small market, a college team market, and we have 2 power 5 schools that were heavily covered here. Not sure that type of combo in duplicated a lot of other places that iHeart may have have other sport talk stations.

Can we get William Hill odds on whether or not the iHeart CEO could find Des Moines on a map? Don't think they care, especially after reading that statement yesterday.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Can we get William Hill odds on whether or not the iHeart CEO could find Des Moines on a map? Don't think they care, especially after reading that statement yesterday.

I think they care, but I don't think they have the infrastructure and intelligence info in place to be able to properly analyze what cuts make sense and which do not. Maybe they are in survival mode and time doesn't provide them that opportunity to analize? Reminds me of when Sweaty Chetty was Iowa's Governor and the budget was a mess (not his fault, it was an economy thing). Instead of strategically making the difficult and time consuming decisions on where to cut and where not to, he just did an across the board cut to all state budgets regardless.,

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If the car has an audio jack. Otherwise it may be a little more to buy a portable bluetooth speaker and go that way.

All you need is an FM radio and a cigarette lighter/12 volt charger and you can Bluetooth everything a modern car does, make calls, listen to podcasts or Spotify, you name it. And they cost less than $20.

Search Amazon for wireless Bluetooth FM transmitter.

shopping

Last edited:

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
It is pretty much that way now. Music stations simulcast and/or have what's called voice tracking where the announcer records all the talk segments in advance. No interaction with the audience. Live, local talk radio is an expensive format. Airing network talk radio is basically free if the station agrees to air all the national ads. Music radio in the digital age is a computer in a room.

Hey bus driver... play some BTO.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pretty sure you wouldn't have Keith Murphy telling Channel 13 to go pound sand if they laid off Ed Wilson or whatever. This is a pretty melodramatic position he can afford to take because KXNO is/was essentially a hobby for he and Andy.

Of course it is. Anything else you got?

Reactions: capitalcityguy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

All this drama and a Matt Campbell "Off the Record" makes for a good CF day!

• Agree
Reactions: Psyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron