Weather Thread - 1/16 to 1/18

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This time of year I can only imagine this was the case for dozens of schools.

I would question whether Saturday should have been cancelled even if the forecast for that day had held up. In central Iowa they were only forecasting 1-3" for Saturday afternoon. That's an inconvenience, but that's winter in the Midwest.

I don't get why they just don't leave it up to the individual teams. If you decide not to come they refund you your entrance fee and just forfeit out your games. I would imagine the majority would have been able to make it. With a tournament pulling teams from different parts of the state alot of it can come down to where you're coming from as well.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
"Moderate to heavy wintry precipitation...through much of the day Friday and into the night"

Reactions: cyfanatic

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't get why they just don't leave it up to the individual teams. If you decide not to come they refund you your entrance fee and just forfeit out your games. I would imagine the majority would have been able to make it. With a tournament pulling teams from different parts of the state alot of it can come down to where you're coming from as well.

I have a friend who was involved with a youth tournament and ran into a weather event similar to this weekend’s. It’s more complicated than you think to just have several teams not show up.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I see Weather Underground is currently projecting 8 to 9 inches of snow for Des Moines/Ames on Thursday Night/Friday
Have now dropped it down a bit to 5-6 inches so see how it plays out the next couple days.

Looks like total projections could be tricky based on the temperature.

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
The latest reports show that temperature models are colder for Friday, so the large amount of moisture, the wind, and the cold temps are now pretty well known. Just a matter of where the storm hits. Tracking towards NE Iowa and Wisconsin currently which is why the totals were probably lowered. But no real amounts can be trusted as solid predictions until about Thursday morning/Thursday evening.

Reactions: cyfanatic

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
so in reality will be getting 1-2"
giphy.gif

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

We had two tournaments...1 in Urbandale and 1 in Indianola...that were cancelled last weekend. UDale is about a 40 min drive for us on a normal day, 40 minutes from UDale to Indianola then about 35 minutes back home from Indianola. We were planning on taking 2 cars so that I (or my wife) could watch the majority of one kid’s UDale tournament (while the other stayed the whole time), while being able to get the other kid to the Indianola tournament on time.

We would have made it all work had the tournaments not cancelled the night before, but I’m telling you...I would have been piiiiiiiiiiiissed if we had shown up and had to sit there with my thumb in my ass because a bunch of teams didn’t show up.

Not to mention referees who may show up, expecting to be paid, but not have games to ref. If refunding entry fees, where does that come from? Etc Etc Etc

Just saying.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron