Question internet in central Iowa

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A good trick for anyone who knows how to use the console in Windows. ipconfig/release then
ipconfig/renew is an easy way to reset your IP on the service providers network. Sometimes you need to disconnect the cable and not just unplug the modem to get a clean connection as well. Forces the system to purge you and reset your IP on the network.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
A good trick for anyone who knows how to use the console in Windows. ipconfig/release then
ipconfig/renew is an easy way to reset your IP on the service providers network. Sometimes you need to disconnect the cable and not just unplug the modem to get a clean connection as well. Forces the system to purge you and reset your IP on the network.
The only way that does what you think is if you're directly connected to their network. 100% of the time you have a router between you and them, and all you're doing is requesting a new IP from the router.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The only way that does what you think is if you're directly connected to their network. 100% of the time you have a router between you and them, and all you're doing is requesting a new IP from the router.
Works great for me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Google Nest speeds at our house. We have the 3 pack:

Screenshot-20200106-142539-Home.jpg

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I live in Ankeny and switched to MC about a year ago after having CL for many years. MC is definitely faster - I have the 500 mbs speed and Speedtest.net tells me that I’m running at 440 MB’s on 5G and 90 MB’s in 1G. 1G seems to be more reliable and have better range. I still rent the MC router but will purchase a new system based on this thread. An issue we have is I need to restart the router about 1-2 times a week when I briefly lose service. Restarting almost always takes care of the issue.
I will be looking at Google or Netgear mesh systems. Any advice on which one to get? I really don’t need the Google Assistant with their mesh since we already have Alexa.

I have the same question but I'd also throw Eero in as well since I'm down the Alexa road.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
  • Informative
Reactions: cyfan92

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Question for those that use Google Mesh.

New house, and we have to make a jump from the house to the outbuilding. I am certain we can't make the jump without this: AmazonLink (open to other ideas/solutions for a 150 foot jump from garage corner to outbuilding)

Can a Google Mesh work, with plugging into the above unit on the outbuilding?

We will use two of the Mesh units in the house, the third in the outbuilding.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA

New house, and we have to make a jump from the house to the outbuilding. I am certain we can't make the jump without this: AmazonLink (open to other ideas/solutions for a 150 foot jump from garage corner to outbuilding)

I use 2 of these Amazon product to get internet to my shop 300+ feet from the house. One is on the outside of the metal building and gives great internet all over between the house and building, but needed another one inside to get signal through the metal shed. All use the same wireless id or whatever so devices can't tell them apart, looks like one big network.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
Well, it doesn't like my link so it is this item on Amazon. They have a 5gHz as well "
TP-Link Long Range Outdoor Wifi Transmitter – 2.4GHz, 300Mbps, High Gain Mimo Antenna, 5km+ Point to Point Wireless Transmission, PoE Powered w/ PoE Adapter Included, WISP Mode (CPE210)"

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

The documentation I've read says that it wouldn't go that far but I'm guessing that it might. I sometimes stay connected to my wifi when I'm about a block down the road.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

It seems like you can set that up using WDS bridging, so that the two nodes communicate with each other only and do not modify the network traffic. My guess is the mesh might be able to operate through it, but I don't know for sure

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm curious how others landed on the mesh network systems you did. I'm trying to decide on one, and they all look fine and I'm suffering from "spec fatigue."

My needs are like most...replacing a five year old router, wanting better coverage, better performance (recently cut the cord), good software that lets me identify and manage each device, and something I can install and manage without getting too deep into the weeds.

I've read good things about Google Nest Wifi but I'm nervous about its lack of ethernet ports. We stream on two TVs, one of which would have a wired connection to the router, but I assume the second TV would still be better off with a wired connection to a mesh satellite rather than relying on its own wireless adapter. And I can envision other (rare) needs for an ethernet port - like a computer network adapter crapping out, for example.

Ubiquiti seems to earn raves but I'm concerned it's over my head technically.

I'm leaning toward the Netgear Orbi RBK50, mostly because if I buy through Costco I can get an extra satellite above the usual 1 router/1 satellite for the same price.

I feel like these are all similar enough and highly-regarded enough that I'll probably be happy no matter what. So talk me into it, talk me out of it, whatever. Thanks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron