KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ahhh...that makes sense. I wonder if they want the other people to essentially contract out shows? Like do they want Travis and Heather to do what Marty and Ken did for years on all of their other radio shows?

If I were Murph and Andy, I'd tell iheart to go pound sand.They'd probably be ones that could just start an independent podcast since they have day jobs.

You mean have 1 scumbag who was constantly ripping people off and not paying his bills to have said show on the air? Yeah I think they'll be a hard pass on that... :p

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Curious if any of you who may have worked in radio know how contracts work. Meaning, i assume Downs was salary and worked at the station full time, but like Chris, is he contracted for like 3-4 hours a day?

Same with Murph/Andy.....are their paid for that show and the time (so like 15 hours a week) or whatever? Again, just curious.

i always figured Ross and downs were salaried but the rest of them were contracted. But what do I know?

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Curious if any of you who may have worked in radio know how contracts work. Meaning, i assume Downs was salary and worked at the station full time, but like Chris, is he contracted for like 3-4 hours a day?

Same with Murph/Andy.....are their paid for that show and the time (so like 15 hours a week) or whatever? Again, just curious.

Wouldn't know the specifics of anybody's contract, but all of mine through the years had non-competes built-in. They generally hold water. iFart could waive that, but likely won't.

My guess is that it would be at least 6 months until any of them could work in radio again in DM.

• Disagree
Reactions: ArgentCy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The "new" media pushing the local media to the side is tragic.

KABC in Los Angeles just did something similar. If this is happening in major markets then mid and small markets can't be far behind

The death of news (print, radio, and television) because of the internet is a horrible thing

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and tyrelrobert

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Wouldn't know the specifics of anybody's contract, but all of mine through the years had non-competes built-in. They generally hold water. iFart could waive that, but likely won't.

My guess is that it would be at least 6 months until any of them could work in radio again in DM.

Just in time for football season starting back up.

• Creative
Reactions: Cycsk

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

would the no compete apply to the ones let go?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

non competes can’t prevent someone from making a living. If they signed a severance package it’s different, but if not any non compete they signed would probably not be upheld by a judge for that reason.

• Winner
Reactions: ArgentCy and tzjung

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny

If they were let go, I would think a non-compete wouldn't apply. I would understand if an employee left on their own, but once let go, wouldn't that mean that I-heart broke the contract, in which non-compete's wouldn't apply.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Any of them fired can go to another station immediately. You can’t fire someone and then hold them to a non compete. For the others I think it’s be interesting to see what the contract says. For example Murphy and Andy losing AD is there anything in there about that.

I think this will be interesting to see who has worse PR the DMR or iHeart.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wonder if 5-0 will still be on Murph and Andy today after this. They mentioned this morning he was going to fill in for Murph today I believe

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If you listened to the Morning Rush, he provided so many laughs (many/most at his own expense) you would understand.

I was a regular listening. I liked him and he did bring something to the show. But he is not the reason I listened and don't think I'd have missed him that much if the show had continued without him. That isn't a slam, just my take.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
For those confused by my statement, I apologize. I was let go today too.
I mean this with humor to lighten the situation, but

200.gif

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
For bad reasons, but I can't wait to hear Andy's take on the whole thing. To be honest, I wonder if Iheart would not air the show based off of them cutting Ken off during his discussion of the topic.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Unfortunately, it's probably sort of a "Wins above Replacement" situation. Sure, local shows get better ratings, but they're also more expensive than syndicated national shows. And they're banking that enough people who listen to the radio for sports coverage are still going to listen to those national shows. Purely profit driven. And they're probably not wrong. That's the ****tiest thing about it.

I won't listen to national sports talk. I don't care about Lebron or the Cowboys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron