KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://whotv.com/2020/01/14/shows-canceled-jobs-cut-at-kxno-due-to-iheartmedia-restructuring/

Sounds like Murph and Andy wasn't cancelled, but they're still deciding what they want to do. Crappy situation for those two, not that there'd be any real hard feelings if they stick it out. I really can't imagine that show without AD though.

Really sucks for local businesses as well, that's a ton of advertising space that just went up in smoke

The worst part of that article is CW saying the news caught everyone by surprise. It'd still would have sucked even if everyone knew that layoffs might be coming, but to get blindsided like that is just ******.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
National sports talk radio is incredibly boring because of how broad they need to keep the subject matter just to have people tune in.

There's no depth to it or any passion with it, it's all just contrived and I hate this whole thing.

Maybe kxno couldn't make more money with local programming but at least they had something that was worth listening to.

I'm really sorry to get this news Chris.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have been in Iowa less than 3 years but the morning show was absolutely terrible.

PM drive time was only slightly better.

The 10am pair was the only show that was actually dedicated to sports.

I mean everyone has their opinions. The only one I consistently listened to was Fanatics. I really enjoy Ken Miller, but Conden is very hard to listen to, so I I didn't listen to them. I find Travis awful to listen to. But those are just my opinions. Plenty of people like Travis.

• Winner
Reactions: rochclone

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The worst part of that article is CW saying the news caught everyone by surprise. It'd still would have sucked even if everyone knew that layoffs might be coming, but to get blindsided like that is just ******.

No doubt. Nature of the business I guess. You can't let someone with a foot out the door have air time since they could do some serious damage to the company. I feel bad for all involved, especially Ross and AD. Sucks that Ross has been there for so long, and can't take the mic one last time.

Seems like all involved are smart people with a dedicated work ethic. They will land on their feet, it just sucks that the need to.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Nope, he and Trent are not iHeart employees. Sounds like their show and Murph and Andy for the time being will remain

Ahhh...that makes sense. I wonder if they want the other people to essentially contract out shows? Like do they want Travis and Heather to do what Marty and Ken did for years on all of their other radio shows?

If I were Murph and Andy, I'd tell iheart to go pound sand.They'd probably be ones that could just start an independent podcast since they have day jobs.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
The Morning Rush and Fanatics made my daily 45 minute drive each way fly by. I am really pissed and feel bad for everyone involved.

Reactions: nboltz

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I have my favorites as far as shows go, but I at least somewhat enjoyed all of them. I understand keeping costs low, but in a state with no pro teams, this is the ideal demographic for local radio. Really bums me out because I listened to KXNO while driving to/from work and streamed while at work and really enjoyed it. I can't imagine how the employees are taking it. I feel really bad for Ross. He poured his heart and soul into the radio station and did whatever they needed him to do. He has made a career of radio and now I am not sure what he will do.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I can’t imagine M&A staying without AD and many of their colleagues getting screwed
I wonder how much longer there contract is for? If they want to leave KXNO they won't be able to broadcast on the radio somewhere else till it is up. That is unless out of the goodness of their heart IHeart says they are free to go elsewhere which i highly doubt that would happen.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
None of these personalities deserved what happen to them, but I bet they were all constantly looking over their shoulders ever since iHeart's bankruptcy plan was approved last year at this time - if not before. Employees that work for financially strapped companies always get the shaft in the name of saving money/satisfying investors.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wonder how much longer there contract is for? If they want to leave KXNO they won't be able to broadcast on the radio somewhere else till it is up. That is unless out of the goodness of their heart IHeart says they are free to go elsewhere which i highly doubt that would happen.

But the thing is that the 2 of them don't really need it. I mean local broadcast people don't make a ton of money (I think) but Keith has been around forever and Andy hosts the morning show. I always figured that their show was more of a way for them to have fun and not really a big part of their career or income.

• Agree

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
it would take a lot of hustle and I’m not sure how financially viable it would be for someone who needs a FT gig but you’ve got to think podcasts are the future.

Agree..I saw some folks on here talking about wanting to keep hearing Ross (and I agree, he's style is great)...but yeah, for a FT type pay, would need LOTS of advertising revenue. But, again, some of these folks may have some of the inside tracks with certain guests/contacts, but getting it to "work" on a spreadsheet financially may be tough.

• Agree

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I listened to CW and Ross every day for over 3 years. If I missed an hour hear or there I usually went back and listened to the podcast. I have so many great memories of laughing my ass of while doing yard work.
I listened to the other KXNO shows once in a while but to me nothing else was like the CW and Ross combo. I'll miss you guys together.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
This sucks. Being over in the Cedar Rapids area, my go to over the air station is an ESPN radio shop so I'm guessing the local personalities will remain for awhile but I listened to Chris & Ross on Podcasts religiously every night / road trip. :(

• Agree
Reactions: Hoggins