KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
More time for Sean to tweet about Notre Dame I guess.

I don’t listen to radio but always sucks seeing local guys get the shaft like this.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
CW hit this square on the head a month ago. He was trying to prepare for the Alabama game and couldn't find any actual sports stories about their upcoming season. All he could find were barstool type blogs.

This appears to be the sad future of local sports. Big markets will dominate everything.

The Associated Press doesn't even have a reporter in Iowa since they let Luke Meredith go.

All the more reason we need to cherish Cyclone Fanatic and support it. News and journalism are simple things -- you get what you pay for or click on.

Different context, but completely true --

My sister-in-law finished with a 4.0 in her major from a Top Five journalism program nationally about five years ago, and she could only find cruddy and short-term jobs in the field before giving up on it and falling back on her teaching certification.

It is just horrifyingly brutal. It is about the last major you should want.

The industry is in the midst of a perpetual recession unless you are in the rarefied air of a handful of publications and cable networks in DC and NYC.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
iHeartmedia spent WAY too much buying up crap. Welcome to the finalization of companies. Their balance sheet is a mess but apparently they didn't figure out Tesla or other companies trick to somehow convince the stock market it doesn't matter.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Will be interesting to hear if Murph/Andy put iheart on blast today, or if they toe the company line.
Think Andy said yesterday Murphy is on vacation this week. Maybe Murphy knew that he better use his leave time up.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The Des Moines market consumers have shown year over year that they prefer local content to national... This is a really terrible move by IHeart. I feel bad for everyone involved.
Unfortunately, it's probably sort of a "Wins above Replacement" situation. Sure, local shows get better ratings, but they're also more expensive than syndicated national shows. And they're banking that enough people who listen to the radio for sports coverage are still going to listen to those national shows. Purely profit driven. And they're probably not wrong. That's the ****tiest thing about it.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ