###Official CFP Title Game Thread%%%

Who wins tonight?

• Total voters

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Good targeting call.

Aside from that, it's just bad tech to lead with the helmet.

Dumb. Try leaning forward without your head in front. He didn't launch or anything and hit the shoulder. No way in hell that gets called on an isu opponent. Refs are being kind to the SEC tonight.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Dumb. Try leaning forward without your head in front. He didn't launch or anything and hit the shoulder. No way in hell that gets called on an isu opponent. Refs are being kind to the SEC tonight.
It isn't about the head being in front of the body, it is leading with the crown of the helmet. If you keep your head up - and make contact with your facemask - you probably aren't going to get that call. Leading with the crown of the helmet has been illegal for years. It used to be called as spearing.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Dumb. Try leaning forward without your head in front. He didn't launch or anything and hit the should. No way in hell that gets called on an isu opponent. Refs are being kind to the SEC tonight.

Really?

Not leading with the crown of your helmet has been a fundamental teaching point in football forever, more for the tackler vs. neck injuries.

Dumb, haha. Wow.

Also they called an OSU player for the same thing so I guess it's not just an SEC conspiracy thing.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Anybody else watching the Coaches Film Room telecast? Great football discussion with Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Jeff Hafley and Derek Mason dissecting the game. And the show the game in a high sideline vantage point, All-22 style so you can see coverages and routes all the way down the field.

ETA: It's on ESPNU.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It isn't about the head being in front of the body, it is leading with the crown of the helmet. If you keep your head up - and make contact with your facemask - you probably aren't going to get that call. Leading with the crown of the helmet has been illegal for years. It used to be called as spearing.

In this case you are right because contact was made below the head/neck. If the runner ducks and you make initial contact with your face mask to the head/neck area you can get called for targeting.

One part of this whole deal I hate is the offensive runner can lead with the crown of his helmet and never get called for targeting.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Entertaining game so far but they really need to do something about the length of these games. My first idea would be to limit timeouts from 12 to 8. Only one each in the first half, then 3 each in the second half. Also don’t stop the clock on a first down.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In this case you are right because contact was made below the head/neck. If the runner ducks and you make initial contact with your face mask to the head/neck area you can get called for targeting.

One part of this whole deal I hate is the offensive runner can lead with the crown of his helmet and never get called for targeting.
1. I agree you can get called for targeting in that case but the chances are greater if you are leading with the crown of the helmet.

2. I agree that the tackler v. ball carrier enforcement of some rules are skewed in the ball carrier's favor a bit too much some times. If both the runner and the tackler drop their heads and lead with the helmet it is always the tackler that gets called for targeting. If a ball carrier grabs the facemask of a defender he rarely gets called for a facemask violation even though he should. They assume it is a stiff arm rather than grasping the facemask way too much.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Entertaining game so far but they really need to do something about the length of these games. My first idea would be to limit timeouts from 12 to 8. Only one each in the first half, then 3 each in the second half. Also don’t stop the clock on a first down.

Supposedly biggest game of the year and they are at 1 hr per quarter. Going to be losing a lot of audience.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
College football games are so long. They need to switch to NFL timing rules.

The problem with football isn't too much football, it is too much down time. You don't necessarily have to have fewer time outs, maybe just shorter time outs. Before media ruled the football world (and basketball) fans didn't take naps during each media time out. I always thought it was funny when they increased and extended all of the media time outs and then a couple of years later complained that the games were getting too long and they started making rule changes to shorten the amount of time that the games are actually played. If you are truly serious about preserving the game then shorten media time outs and decrease the number of them even if it means you aren't getting quite as much money from TV.

Remember 20 second timeouts in basketball? They thought, hey, we can fit another commercial in here if we extend them to 30 seconds. It's all about the Benjamins, but there is more than enough money in college sports.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Rush 3, Drop 8.....LOL. Waiting for Herbstreit to get an ISU jab in....you know he want to. It can work for Clemson against Wake Forest....but not today. The talent and quarterback deficit has to be appropriate for that gimmick defense to work.