Vikings fans...

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I agree with you but the Vikings aren’t cash strapped because of Cousins right now. His salary is something like 7th among QBs - not like what it looked like when he signed it. Minnesota is paying 11 guys $10 mil or more per year - 7 of them on defense. The offensive guys are Cousins, plus Diggs and Thielen, and then Reiff who is not that great. Cook is on a rookie contract. Otherwise the OL is simultaneously not very good, not paid very well, and not in a position to improve with FAs. Good luck drafting rookie OL who can contribute immediately!
That's the reality of it. The top-paid(?) defense not putting up top results. Good results, but under their salary value. And difficult to convert back to cash.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That's the reality of it. The top-paid(?) defense not putting up top results. Good results, but under their salary value. And difficult to convert back to cash.
Yes, last I checked the Vikings had the highest salary going to the defense in the league. Not that they weren't good, and you can spend money and not get results. But for the Vikings to be a SB team the defense has to be dominant. The offense has to gameplan around a really weak OL.
I believe Griffen has the option to void his contract and become a FA. If he does the Vikings cant shell out big dollars for him unless there are No options to upgrade the left side of that OL. They need to go CB and OL heavy in the draft and see if they can shake some space free for a LT or LG.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Would you believe that completions by Cousins averaged more yards in the air than guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Tom Brady, and Jared Goff, this year? The Vikings definitely throw to running backs, but the stats don't back up the Captain Checkdown moniker like you'd think they would.

I agree they need help at corner, tackle and defensive tackle. Bisi Johnson looks good as a #3 receiver though. And I sure hope they don't waste a high draft pick on a 3rd linebacker. The number of snaps that the base defense is out there is way, way less than it used to be. They're playing nickel most of the time.
Wow, that is surprising. I have only been able to watch a few games this year and in those games he wasn't throwing downfield much. I like Bisi also, he has great potential. And Beebe could be decent once he's healthy again. This draft will be loaded at WR so they could get someone good in round 6 probably. Maybe a bigger target guy like Chase Claypool. My guess is that they will go CB in round 1 and LT in round 2. I'm hoping we can get LB Evan Weaver (Cal) in round 3, that guy is a tackling machine and would be a nice compliment to Barr and Kendricks, but anyone with coverage skills at LB would be good.

Here is my current mock draft, which needs to be updated now that the draft order has changed a little bit. The last 8-10 picks don't show up and there are other picks missing as well. I need to email draftsite and let them know to see if that can be fixed. I think I have the Vikings taking a corner with one of their round 6 picks, but it doesn't show up. Weird. I think Holton Hill could end up starting next year if they get rid of Rhodes. If he keeps his nose clean, he could be a good one.

https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/ophion1031/nfl/mock-draft/2020/

EDIT: Here are all of my Vikings picks:

Rd 1 - OT Trey Adams (Washington)
Rd 2 - DT Neville Gallimore (Oklahoma)
Rd 3 - QB Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma)
Rd 3 - CB Noah Igbinoghene (Auburn)
Rd 4 - LB Logan Wilson (Wyoming)
Rd 6 - OG Daishawn Dixon (San Diego State)
Rd 7 - WR Bryan Edwards (South Carolina)
Rd 7 - P Alex Pechin (Bucknell)
Rd 7 - S Jeremy Chinn (Southern Illinois)
Rd 7 - RB JJ Taylor (Arizona)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Wow, that is surprising. I have only been able to watch a few games this year and in those games he wasn't throwing downfield much. I like Bisi also, he has great potential. And Beebe could be decent once he's healthy again. This draft will be loaded at WR so they could get someone good in round 6 probably. Maybe a bigger target guy like Chase Claypool. My guess is that they will go CB in round 1 and LT in round 2. I'm hoping we can get LB Evan Weaver (Cal) in round 3, that guy is a tackling machine and would be a nice compliment to Barr and Kendricks, but anyone with coverage skills at LB would be good.

Here is my current mock draft, which needs to be updated now that the draft order has changed a little bit. The last 8-10 picks don't show up and there are other picks missing as well. I need to email draftsite and let them know to see if that can be fixed. I think I have the Vikings taking a corner with one of their round 6 picks, but it doesn't show up. Weird. I think Holton Hill could end up starting next year if they get rid of Rhodes. If he keeps his nose clean, he could be a good one.

Why jalen hurts?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

OT is an interesting position this year. Seems like the T from Georgia is a sure-fire top 15 pick, top 10 if there isn't the typical QB reach insanity. After that, there are a bunch of wild cards that people are having a tough time projecting, Adams being one of them.

I think they go best available of T, G, CB in the first three rounds, unless somebody at a different position they love falls to them. Depending on what happens to Griffen, that could move up urgency to get an edge guy.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
OT is an interesting position this year. Seems like the T from Georgia is a sure-fire top 15 pick, top 10 if there isn't the typical QB reach insanity. After that, there are a bunch of wild cards that people are having a tough time projecting, Adams being one of them.

I think they go best available of T, G, CB in the first three rounds, unless somebody at a different position they love falls to them. Depending on what happens to Griffen, that could move up urgency to get an edge guy.
It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, they retain in the secondary. Rhodes is as good as gone. Waynes, Alexander and Harris are all free agents. I think Harris is a must re-sign. He blossomed this year and is a great compliment to Harrison Smith. After that, Alexander would be my next choice to keep, followed by Waynes. I don't dislike Waynes at all, and I actually don't think he's a bad corner. But, if it's between him and Alexander, I'd take Alexander.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If they can hold on to Waynes at a reasonable salary, I think they will. Alexander is a good slot DB, so I'd hope they keep him. One the previous posters mentioned Hill, but I think he has proven to be too unreliable to slot him as a #1 or #2 DB. Back to his Texas days, he has never been reliable. His next positive drug test would be a year suspension I believe as well.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM

Georgia has 3 linemen that will go in the first two rounds. Thomas will be the 1st lineman taken, and I'm really hoping Wilson is available to the Vikings in round 2. He reminds me of Phil Loadholt. He could start at RT and move O'Neill to LT. I would be very happy about that.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They can sit him behind Cousins for a year and coach him up. If they don't feel he can take over in 2021 then they can draft someone in the 1st round of the 2021 draft and keep Hurts as a backup or 3rd stringer. Or they could possibly move him to WR or RB. It'll be interesting to see how he performs at the combine.
It's going to be interesting. I'm guessing they try to sign Cousins to an extension, and restructure the last year of his current deal to free up cap space. Curious to see if Cousins is open to that. If that happens before the draft, I wouldn't expect them to take a QB in the first 3 rounds.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
It's going to be interesting. I'm guessing they try to sign Cousins to an extension, and restructure the last year of his current deal to free up cap space. Curious to see if Cousins is open to that. If that happens before the draft, I wouldn't expect them to take a QB in the first 3 rounds.
I could see that happening and would be fine with it as long as they spend some cash on the o-line. And maybe that would be the pitch needed to get Cousins to do that. They can't continue with Reiff at LT and should probably upgrade at LG as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Listened to the Viking analysts show on the way home from a HS game Saturday. Their guys believe Reiff is as good as gone and also another lineman that I can’t remember for sure. Said the center and I believe RT (not positive) were probably locks to stay and then waivered in a veteran lineman that they picked up who “held his own” this season. The Contract Reiff has along with his play were two double negatives.

• Disagree
Reactions: MeowingCows

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Listened to the Viking analysts show on the way home from a HS game Saturday. Their guys believe Reiff is as good as gone and also another lineman that I can’t remember for sure. Said the center and I believe RT (not positive) were probably locks to stay and then waivered in a veteran lineman that they picked up who “held his own” this season. The Contract Reiff has along with his play were two double negatives.
The thing on Reiff is that cutting him would give some cap relief, but also result in a pretty large amount of dead money relative to his cap hit. Traditionally, the Vikings don't like to acrue a lot of dead money, so that might be a factor with him.

Pat Elflein is the left guard, and he was easily the weakest link of the starting line. He had a lot of promise his first year in the league, but I think it's time to throw in the towel. Bradbury is at center, and he's a first round pick and a rookie. He'll definitely be back. Josh Kline was at RG, and I actually thought he played pretty well, but had some injuries this year. O'Neill is the right tackle and is the best lineman on the team.
I personally would like to see them take the best tackle or guard available in the first round. I know they have holes on defense, but I trust them picking later round defensive players way more than I do picking offensive line

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-how-each-divisional-round-loser-can-compete-for-a-super-bowl-in-2020-2

Per PFF, Cousins finished as a top-5 QB. His OL finished in the bottom quarter of the league in pass protection, and finished slightly worse than midpoint overall largely due to running successes bringing up their average.

It's very easy to see where the problems are offensively.
That's a good read. And it backs up what most fans are saying. Oline and cornerback. Those are the weak spots. I disagree that another WR is a must, at least not going after some of the guys they're suggesting.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
That's a good read. And it backs up what most fans are saying. Oline and cornerback. Those are the weak spots. I disagree that another WR is a must, at least not going after some of the guys they're suggesting.
Larry is a FA again this season, he'd be fun to have for a year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If they do restructure Cousins, I hope the go T, G, DB, LB, and QB in the first five rounds. Does White from Memphis last until the 5th?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If they do restructure Cousins, I hope the go T, G, DB, LB, and QB in the first five rounds. Does White from Memphis last until the 5th?
Assuming they can free up some cap room, I'd like to see them address CB and/or DT in free agency. Then, based on who they are able to acquire, go LT/G in the first round and then either CB or DT in the second.

Help Support Us

Become a patron