This is why Prohm must go........

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yeah...they may have hated Iowa State basketball in the 80s and 90s if an 8 loss season is just 'OK'.
The program is in a completely different world now. How we grade Orr’s teams and how we grade these teams is completely different.
Each season has its own grading criteria. A worse end result can get a better grade than a better result.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So you really think going 7-23 in the regular season and then winning 4 games in Kansas City would be a success? Wow.

If we turned that into a Sweet 16, it would still be a terrible season for us.

edit
Apparently I needed jimlad.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The program is in a completely different world now. How we grade Orr’s teams and how we grade these teams is completely different.
Each season has its own grading criteria. A worse end result can get a better grade than a better result.

This kind of feels like the narrative that ISU was 'elite' during the Hoiberg years when they were really just a decent top 20ish team.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
This basketball program has won a grand total of 2 regular season Big 12 championships since the formation of the Big 12 conference, which is more than 20 years old now.

We did flirt with winning a 3rd midway through the season last year, and we lost some games we shouldn't have to fizzle out in the regular season, but yet winning a Big 12 tournament championship and making it back to the NCAA tournament a season after finishing in last place are somehow not good enough, and are being used as an argument to fire the coach.

It's absolutely mind-boggling when you think about it.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa-state/

I don't think anyone is saying that last years team was a failure, but rather they underachieved. Though nothing is guaranteed, the Big 12 title was for the taking and we wet the bed. We all can agree that last years team was better than a 5th place finish in conference play.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't think anyone is saying that last years team was a failure, but rather they underachieved. Though nothing is guaranteed, the Big 12 title was for the taking and we wet the bed. We all can agree that last years team was better than a 5th place finish in conference play.
I definitely think we should've done better than 5th, but I think it would've been a stretch to say we should've won the conference outright. When K-State was fully healthy they were very very good, and Tech damn near won the National Title last year. We should've been a 3rd/4th place team last year.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

But the poster I've gone back and forth with on this at the very least supports the thought that Prohm should have been fired after a 23-win season, which indicates that at least he thought last season was a failure.

As for our conference finish, I agree that we lost 2-3 games we shouldn't have, which would have put us at 11-7 or maybe 12-6. It's an amazing feat to win the conference title in the regular season, but again, that's something we've only done twice in the existence of the Big 12. Not doing it last season does not equate to a "failed" season at all.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
This basketball program has won a grand total of 2 regular season Big 12 championships since the formation of the Big 12 conference, which is more than 20 years old now.

We did flirt with winning a 3rd midway through the season last year, and we lost some games we shouldn't have to fizzle out in the regular season, but yet winning a Big 12 tournament championship and making it back to the NCAA tournament a season after finishing in last place are somehow not good enough, and are being used as an argument to fire the coach.

It's absolutely mind-boggling when you think about it.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa-state/
Using his "comeback" after finishing last place (which he was responsible for), is something really special...

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Using his "comeback" after finishing last place (which he was responsible for), is something really special...

Right. Because 25+ wins per season and Big 12 regular season championships need to be the minimal demands we expect of our program, especially since we've won a whole 2 of those since the turn of the century, and if a coach can't meet those reasonable demands, let's just keep on firing them until we find our savior.

Honestly, might as well just become a Duke or Kentucky fan if you're going to be unhappy with anything less.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Steve Prohm thought process

Call timeout after you score

Give up a 8-0 run as your team is getting sloppy

Don't call timeout because you only have one left because you're a dumbass who calls timeouts after you score

Allow 6 more easy points off sloppy play

Call timeout after a 14-0 run in 3 minutes

Get an extension

Dude is a ******* genius.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Would have helped if he hired a recruiter, his recruiting is rearing its ugly head! If next season's recruits
don't make a big difference he'll be looking elsewhere for a job! His coaching is in complete shambles! Jacobson has not got the team around him as he did last season and is struggling bad! Not much recruiting and not much coaching!