Starting Lineup

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
Doesn't anyone remember how awesome Solomon was his freshman year? He wasn't playing the 5 position all by himself, he just doesn't quite have the heighth.........but he is a hell of a "garbage man." Tough and physical. His offensive game is much improved from his freshman year, we just aren't utilizing him correctly this year.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Doesn't anyone remember how awesome Solomon was his freshman year? He wasn't playing the 5 position all by himself, he just doesn't quite have the heighth.........but he is a hell of a "garbage man." Tough and physical. His offensive game is much improved from his freshman year, we just aren't utilizing him correctly this year.
He had better really talented roster around him which helped him carve out that role

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames

Seems like his injury caused him to lose a lot of mobility

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I like Young, but he really hasn’t progressed much since his freshman year. Like at all, as far as I can tell.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That could be, but I would LOVE to see what would happen if he and Condit played at the same time!

Probably a lot of teams' 4s having a really big game.

Maybe vs. KU it would have been something.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I've never believed that a starting lineup mattered much at all. All that matters IMO, is average minutes played per game. What if one of your starters only averages 18 mins a game, and a bench player averages 30 mins a game?

I do think it could be an issue if you are always digging yourself a hole right out of the gate, but that certainly wasn't the case against KU at least.
There’s some truth to that, but if your best players and lineups routinely start on the bench, youre going to constantly be starting every game at a disadvantage. Why not start with the best players and adjust as the game calls for it?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like Young, but he really hasn’t progressed much since his freshman year. Like at all, as far as I can tell.

To me it seems guys like Lard and Young seemed at their best when they were just out there playing some ball.

Too lazy to look--did Lard have the issues with fouls his freshman year? According to the sports reference site, he average 26 minutes and 2.8 fouls. What changed? Other teams going at him differently? Thinking too much?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
To me it seems guys like Lard and Young seemed at their best when they were just out there playing some ball.

Too lazy to look--did Lard have the issues with fouls his freshman year? According to the sports reference site, he average 26 minutes and 2.8 fouls. What changed? Other teams going at him differently? Thinking too much?

Lard was always a fouling machine.

He just pulled off late in the 2018 season because we were down to him and Jeff Beverly as "big men" (some huge quotes around that second one there).

So he just started going olé.

• Agree

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
A lot of crying about solos rebounding. He always has his guy boxed out. Takes their big out of the play completely. We don’t have tough guards that are going to rebound like past teams. He sets huge picks for good looks from 3. You guys have no idea what you are talking about.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
A lot of crying about solos rebounding. He always has his guy boxed out. Takes their big out of the play completely. We don’t have tough guards that are going to rebound like past teams. He sets huge picks for good looks from 3. You guys have no idea what you are talking about.
And if teams cover up conditt when Haliburton drives like KU did, it’s over.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lewis and Hali rebound hard. Nixon is hit or miss. Bolton had looked better as of late.

• Agree

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Probably helped him that he was playing with Monte, Thomas, Naz and Burton. He could just go out there and be a tough and physical athletic big. Now he’s playing with less talent and less athleticism due to his injury. He seems so slow now.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I love me some Solo and appreciate what he's done here but some of the hype around him was because we just didn't have a guy who did the things he does. Now having seen Lard and Conditt, we are a little spoiled and want a guy with more of an all around game. There was a time we were just happy with a serviceable big man.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

One could argue his shooting has improved. He is actually is reliable on that front. His shot selection and being able to knock down in the mid range shot has been there.

Defensively and rebounding have not improved, and possibly regressed. I would think his injuries have been a big reason behind this. Just doesn't have the quickness needed to guard the pick and roll or the explosiveness to get the rebound. Others have pointed out that he is usually in good position and has his guy boxed out. However; he can't clear it himself, which is problematic.