NCAA Tourney Path

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s almost impossible to say. Go 9-9 with some win combo of 4 out of the 5 remaining games against Baylor, TTU, and KU and we’d probably be in the conversation. Not gonna happen , just saying.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Slow down there chief, by February 5th there’s a real chance we’re staring at a 2-7 record in the Big 12.

Nothing to slow down about didn't say it will happen, half the league is awful , not much is required to get to the middle of it.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Nothing to slow down about didn't say it will happen, half the league is awful , not much is required to get to the middle of it.
True. I definitely could see 6-12 or 7-11. KSU and OSU are incredibly bad. Those alone could get us 4 more wins easily.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A win against Baylor or Auburn in the next couple weeks would erase the A&M loss and give us a shot. Going to need to beat someone more than the middle of the pack Big12. Still a lot of games left to put a resume together.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Don't get your hopes up unless we sustain last night for more than 1 game at home

Prohm gets out of his own way, we don't get abused on the glass and 3's regress to our traditional mean. Then I'll be pumped
Whoever was the assistant who was scout for the OU game, did a great job. Loved the 1-3-1 mix in. Prohm probably had his best job of coaching and getting players to execute, but in also curious how good Oklahoma is. Loved the more frequent subbing last night and not calling timeouts that kill the momentum.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think we'd have to be above .500 in conference and probably make a decent showing in KC. Even that's a stretch, I think we'd be in the bubble in that scenario.

Frankly, I'm not even thinking about the tournament right now. The focus now is just to replicate what we saw yesterday. If that game becomes our norm, we will be winning some games and keeping almost all of them close with chances to win. Unlike Oregon State and TCU, we gotta turn those opportunities into Ws and show we know how to win.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Watching BU yesterday, hard to imagine beating them. Or KU away. Or Auburn away. But 2 wins from TT and WVU is not beyond the realm of possibility. Beat everybody else in conference the rest of the way.
Yep, yesterday did that to me!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Last edited by a moderator:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
While discussing ISU's potential path, it's helpful to include where we've been, to incorporate the two.

Iowa State NET rank, NET results vs. schedule and Quadrant records, thru 1-11:

#71 Iowa State results
5 L Kansas
17 W Seton Hall
17 L vs. Seton Hall
21 L vs. Michigan (rank prior to loss at Minnesota)
32 L Iowa
44 W Oklahoma
50 L at TCU
60 W vs. Alabama
61 L at Oregon State
198 W Northern Illinois
257 W Kansas City
266 L Florida A&M
273 W Purdue Fort Wayne
315 W So. Miss
353 W Mississippi Valley State
Next week: at (1) Baylor; at (35) Texas Tech

Quad 1: 1-3
Quad 2: 2-3
Quad 3: 0-0
Quad 4: 5-1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Last night was an good win, but a lot went right. I would still say we have about a 5% chance of making the NCAA tournament based on our regular season. Maybe that bumps to 15% if we can get hot for 3-4 days in KC.

IMO we are in the Tournament if we go 12-6 in Big 12 play plus win 1 game in KC. That would mean we finish top 3 or 4 in conference play. A win against Auburn would also offset the FL A&M loss. If we go 11-7, beat Auburn and win a game in KC I think our chances are 50/50.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Winning out at home gets you wins against Tech, West Virginia and Baylor. Win two games on the road (KSU and Oklahoma State) and you are 10-8 and 17-14 if you lose at Auburn. Likely a #5 or #6 seed in KC. Get one win in KC and you would be 18-15 and that probably buys you a First 4 or last 4 in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macloney

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
At this point, I think this season will be a success if Prohm learns how to be more flexible in how his style can compliment a given roster. He can recruit well. He is capable of making decent decisions. He just needs to anticipate better I think so the team can focus on gelling in October & November rather than January & February.

I think this is a pretty succinct and accurate way to analyze Prohm. EDIT: I would also add: Prohm really needs some help making in-game adjustments and riding guys that are playing well. We've seen it for several years: a guy gets hot or has a good half / finishes well, and Prohm rolls out the same old starting lineup that isn't doing well. He did it last night with OU and thankfully that one turned out well even after the crew with Lewis, etc. finished the half so strong. He did is last year with Wigginton. Wigginton would finish a half well and then be back to sitting to start the second half and we'd be like -6 in the plus minus when he got back into the game. It was just perplexing. That's another thing I'd love to see Prohm change. Regardless, not sure if we can secure a better coach and the buyout is massive, so I hope all the crazies will cool it on the Prohm hating for a while and let the season finish itself. Lend your support and don't be so quick to judge.

Back to the OP, I think the path is beat Auburn on the road (which would be a huge Quad 1 win), 10-8 or 11-7 in conference, depending on wins and how the Big XII does in the upcoming SEC challenge games, and win one in the Big XII Tourney. Unlikely, but it's possible. This team has talent. Hope you all will spend time supporting these 18 - 22 year old young men and withhold criticizing them. Criticizing the coaches who make the massive salaries is fair, but please stop the craziness with the players. Hope we can turn the tide. The OU game was fun!

Last edited:

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Wining out at home gets you wins against Tech, West Virginia and Baylor. Win two games on the road (KSU and Oklahoma State) and you are 10-8 and 17-14 if you lose at Auburn. Likely a #5 or #6 seed in KC. Get one win in KC and you would be 18-15 and that probably buys you a First 4 or last 4 in.

1) how many 18-15 teams have gotten at large in NCAA tournament ?
2) how many of those that got in had a <300 RPI loss ?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron