Battle of the Jeopardy Greats Coming

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Yes, Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek have been doing those shows for so long. Much the same as Bob Barker with TPIR.
I haven't seen TPIR in while but last time I did Drew Carey still sucked. It was like he still didn't know the games.
I actually really like Drew, he makes fun of the products constantly. Every once in a while I’ll YouTube old price is right episodes. I always thought Bob got cantankerous in the later seasons as his age really got up there (can’t believe that dude is still kicking around) but if you watch shows from the early days of the price is right he was always kind of grumpy. It’s pretty funny.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How does this thing work? First to win 3 games? It's still going on next week, correct?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
James looks like the Covington Catholic kid. It's just the way he smiles.
Both millionaires too.

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I actually really like Drew, he makes fun of the products constantly. Every once in a while I’ll YouTube old price is right episodes. I always thought Bob got cantankerous in the later seasons as his age really got up there (can’t believe that dude is still kicking around) but if you watch shows from the early days of the price is right he was always kind of grumpy. It’s pretty funny.

Bob was fighting off all those sexual assault charges, probably made him cranky.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Daily Doubles have to be rigged. Pretty sure brad has Picked the daily double the first clue 2 or 3 times. Seems suspicious
They're not rigged, but there is definitely a strategy to finding them. It's pretty much how James plays the game. Hunt the daily doubles, then work bottom to top to make sure your competitors cant catch up because there's not enough money on the board to catch up.

I think Brad got really pissed last night at the end of the first game when the Final Jeopardy topic was US Politics. They announced the topic and Brad kind of threw up his arms like, "Seriously?" It could have been an opportunity for James and Brad to catch up by doubling up, hoping that Ken might not double up or even miss the question...instead it was US Politics so all three contestants doubled up, essentially making Ken the match winner just after the first game. Not only that, but it was an incredibly easy question.

When they came back from commercial, Alex was like, "Just a reminder, the winner of the match is the combined total of both games. So even though Ken won big last game, it's still anyone's match!" James had some sort of sarcastic, smartass quip after that though about how Ken already had it in the bag.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
They're not rigged, but there is definitely a strategy to finding them. It's pretty much how James plays the game. Hunt the daily doubles, then work bottom to top to make sure your competitors cant catch up because there's not enough money on the board to catch up.

I think Brad got really pissed last night at the end of the first game when the Final Jeopardy topic was US Politics. They announced the topic and Brad kind of threw up his arms like, "Seriously?" It could have been an opportunity for James and Brad to catch up by doubling up, hoping that Ken might not double up or even miss the question...instead it was US Politics so all three contestants doubled up, essentially making Ken the match winner just after the first game. Not only that, but it was an incredibly easy question.

When they came back from commercial, Alex was like, "Just a reminder, the winner of the match is the combined total of both games. So even though Ken won big last game, it's still anyone's match!" James had some sort of sarcastic, smartass quip after that though about how Ken already had it in the bag.

These three contestants deserve harder questions. To them there is no difference between a two hundred dollar or two thousand dollar question difficulty. And I agree the final Jeopardy question needs to be much harder...I don' t think any of the contestants have missed one final Jeopardy question. Otherwise it is just a game of who can hit their buzzers the fastest and who is luckiest in finding the daily doubles (Ken).

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
These three contestants deserve harder questions. To them there is no difference between a two hundred dollar or two thousand dollar question difficulty. And I agree the final Jeopardy question needs to be much harder...I don' t think any of the contestants have missed one final Jeopardy question. Otherwise it is just a game of who can hit their buzzers the fastest and who is luckiest in finding the daily doubles (Ken).
Right. These are the best players Jeopardy has ever seen, they should be giving them difficult questions. I think the problem is finding topics that will have increasingly difficult questions, and then finding a question (or answer I guess) that's difficult, but not so obscure that no one would know it.

But the Final Jeopardy question of what two political parties have won the presidency 4 times each that no longer exist? Come on. Anyone who has taken middle school American History should at least be able to name the Whig party. Anyone with a basic American political history interest should know the answer to that question.

Whig and Democratic-Republican parties were the answers for those of you who aren't interested in American political history.

Reactions: Beernuts

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Right. These are the best players Jeopardy has ever seen, they should be giving them difficult questions. I think the problem is finding topics that will have increasingly difficult questions, and then finding a question (or answer I guess) that's difficult, but not so obscure that no one would know it.

But the Final Jeopardy question of what two political parties have won the presidency 4 times each that no longer exist? Come on. Anyone who has taken middle school American History should at least be able to name the Whig party. Anyone with a basic American political history interest should know the answer to that question.

Whig and Democratic-Republican parties were the answers for those of you who aren't interested in American political history.

Of the three...who is your favorite champion?

Reactions: Cybyassociation

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
All three missed a final jeopardy question about foreign directors winning an Oscar. I think it was from the 2nd game last night when Ken had already clinched it, but they did miss one.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and cygrads

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The 800/1600 row (second from bottom) statistically has the most Daily Doubles. It’s not a purely random placement. That’s why you will usually see these seasoned players start there.

It’s only a very recent development that players started to “hunt” Daily Doubles - this change from the traditional “Start at the top and work your way down the categories” has changed the game. Jeopardy should consider completely randomizing the DD placements.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
All three missed a final jeopardy question about foreign directors winning an Oscar. I think it was from the 2nd game last night when Ken had already clinched it, but they did miss one.

I did appreciate Trebek's reaction to James' answer.
09jeopardy-final-facebookJumbo.jpg

Reactions: xboxfever and JD720

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Probably because it was a "pop culture" question, not a "serious subject" question. That type of question (and sports questions) can be tough for brainiac types.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
The 800/1600 row (second from bottom) statistically has the most Daily Doubles. It’s not a purely random placement. That’s why you will usually see these seasoned players start there.

It’s only a very recent development that players started to “hunt” Daily Doubles - this change from the traditional “Start at the top and work your way down the categories” has changed the game. Jeopardy should consider completely randomizing the DD placements.

Personally, I'd prefer they force contestants to go in order within a category. The new contenders often take a while to get warmed up and I don't like the advantage the champion has with choosing big money questions early. Plus for some of the categories the later questions make more sense once you've seen the easiest question.

Game shows and especially Jeopardy are interesting because a key feature is to be able to play at home and feel like you could compete. The wait to buzz in makes it feel like you can answer a lot of the questions correct but in reality you'd only get a chance on about 1/3 of them. Plus the clues and hidden references in the answer (question) sometimes are missed or tricky for the person live but make you feel smart at home. The game isn't really designed to be the fairest way to test for the person with the best trivia knowledge. But it's been fun to see the way the best players have exploited things and it will be interesting to see if Jeopardy makes future changes.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Personally, I'd prefer they force contestants to go in order within a category. The new contenders often take a while to get warmed up and I don't like the advantage the champion has with choosing big money questions early. Plus for some of the categories the later questions make more sense once you've seen the easiest question.

Game shows and especially Jeopardy are interesting because a key feature is to be able to play at home and feel like you could compete. The wait to buzz in makes it feel like you can answer a lot of the questions correct but in reality you'd only get a chance on about 1/3 of them. Plus the clues and hidden references in the answer (question) sometimes are missed or tricky for the person live but make you feel smart at home. The game isn't really designed to be the fairest way to test for the person with the best trivia knowledge. But it's been fun to see the way the best players have exploited things and it will be interesting to see if Jeopardy makes future changes.
I’m pretty sure they play some practice questions prior to each game so that the challengers get the timing of ringing in. I don’t think they move on until they get at least one. I believe that change was made after Ken just destroyed everyone in his initial run.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I’m pretty sure they play some practice questions prior to each game so that the challengers get the timing of ringing in. I don’t think they move on until they get at least one. I believe that change was made after Ken just destroyed everyone in his initial run.

I think that's right. I still think it'd be a help to the challengers if they went in order and I think I'd enjoy it more.