This is why Prohm must go........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclone951

Nov 29, 2019
If anyone criticizes Fred as a coach and then turns around and defends Prohm....they simply do not know college basketball.

A lot of people are saying this team is not very talented but I disagree. In no way is this one of greatest teams to put on the Cardinal and Gold but they are good enough to at least compete. I envisioned this team being a bubble/NIT team at worst. The product we have received has been far from that. Even teams that lack tremendous talent usually play hard. They make up for their athletic shortcomings with hard work, effort, and minimizing mistakes and this team has done everything but that. And that is a direct representation of coaching. Players who believe in their coaching staff ingrain themselves in their methods. A lot of people have criticized Fred's time at ISU on this forum but one thing you could never say is that his teams didn't play hard and play for each other. You could see how hard his teams competed, even when he inherited the roster that McDermott left behind for him.

Cyclone951

Nov 29, 2019
Prohm not good. Should be:

C - didn’t help them but didn’t F it up either
B- - kept some success going, didn’t help much but tough to F up with 4 year backcourt and 3-4 NBA players.
D - the start of the decline of ISU hoops
C- - team way underperformed, no discipline, looked lost. 1st round exit
D - this year. Fla A+M, first round bow out in Atlantis not showing any signs of getting better and it’s mid January
I'm sure it bothered him a lot when he clinched the Big 12 regular season title at Hilton Coliseum and then finished as the National runner-up. Are we really going to argue that Prohm has accomplished more at Iowa State than Chris Beard at Texas Tech? Nobody is doubting that CSP has had terrific wins at Iowa State. Road wins at Texas Tech, Ole Miss and Kansas State last year. Big 12 Tournament championship last year and 2017.

I will catch some heat for this but I would grade him in the following manner.

2015-16 (B-) Pre-season Top 10 squad, injury to Naz and McKay drama. Niang was the best player in the country the last 8 games of his career. 10-8 conference record and T5th in the conference. Sweet 16 appearance saved it from a C but overall wanted to see more and "meh" of that year did effect the initial recruiting cycle.

2016-17 (A)-His best coaching job by far. 12-6 in the regular season with that group was remarkable. For the month of February & March we played like a Top 15 squad consistently. Big 12 conference tournament title.

2017-18 (D)--Unmitigated disaster. Donovan Jackson experiment at point guard, loss against UW-Milwaukee at home, 4-14 in the conference season, 23 point home loss to Tennessee. Most double-digit losses in a year since 2002. They weren't close and unfortunately a lot of bad habits were allowed to develop in two our freshmen that year.

2018-19 (B-)--He gets credit for bringing in one of the best recruiting classes. LW injury early, success in Maui, great road wins in conference, February swoon and a squad that finishes 9-9 and appears to have the talent for 12-6 or 13-5. Regardless a solid run in the Big 12 tournament resulting in another trophy. Not a terribly unforeseen loss to Ohio State based upon the lack of consistency.

I actually think he did a better coaching job last year then in 2015-16 which I'm sure will draw the ire of a few on this board. I think a good case study to look at for the challenges that existed in 2015-16 is looking at Cincinnati this year. Cronin was a stud at UC and then takes the job at UCLA. UC hires the coach of Northern Kentucky. It is clear that the players at UC have yet to fully embrace the new coach because he has yet to "prove it" at a major level.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Give me a break. Coaches can absolutely maximize good not great talent in college hoops, and ISU is nowhere near doing that. The key is to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Prohm defenders are amazing. What resume did he have? He took over at Murray with a team that Kennedy built and once his influence was felt in the program and on the court they never saw the NCAA Tourney again. The program was not better than when he took over in fact it was worse.

Same thing at ISU. As Fran Frachsilla always said, the 2016 team coached itself. He never made that team better. He’s never beaten a Power 6 team in the NCAA Tourney. He’s recruited some talent but what’s the difference if guys like Wigginton never win in the dance?

Letting THT who was the 8th best 3 pt shooter on the team continuously shoot 3s (2nd or 3rd most attempts on the team) and Haliburton the best shooter shoot the 8th most tries is indicative of Prohm coaching. Wtf. Take control, and make the right decisions.

Losing 2 recruits leave a week before the season. McKay hated Prohm, Lard also. There were many rumors that Wigginton would’ve transferred had he not declared for the draft. Watching the attitudes and shot selection of some of his players. ISU still doesn’t know what a block out is and plays undisciplined.

Prohm has not been good. The program is much worse than where it was when he took over. His Sweet 16 was a mirage- look at their draw with that team and understand Niang could’ve coached that team to 2 wins in the dance from the floor. ISU is 2-5 in last 7 vs Power 6 opponents at Hilton.

The program is not better than when he took over, in fact it’s worse. Anyone sense a trend?
This ☝️

• Agree
Reactions: Cloned4Life

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I'm new to this. How do you tell that a "new" member is just a previously banned one?
951 seems so angry.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isu83

May 5, 2010
Ask Vegas how much 10 points matters to point differential expectations. In terms of expected spread, that’s significant.

Most expected to lose a non-competitive game. Far fewer expected to get blown-out to the degree that KU’s walkons prevented it from being the worst home loss point differential in decades.

If this type of loss should be universally expected, there’s nothing to lose by cleaning house tomorrow.
Most of ur posts are plain dumb. All u do is talk crap about Prohm. It would create a disaster for this program to fire Prohm now or at the end of the year. And he’s not going anywhere. So man up and start supporting this program ur a fan of.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
A lot of people are saying this team is not very talented but I disagree. In no way is this one of greatest teams to put on the Cardinal and Gold but they are good enough to at least compete. I envisioned this team being a bubble/NIT team at worst. The product we have received has been far from that. Even teams that lack tremendous talent usually play hard. They make up for their athletic shortcomings with hard work, effort, and minimizing mistakes and this team has done everything but that. And that is a direct representation of coaching. Players who believe in their coaching staff ingrain themselves in their methods. A lot of people have criticized Fred's time at ISU on this forum but one thing you could never say is that his teams didn't play hard and play for each other. You could see how hard his teams competed, even when he inherited the roster that McDermott left behind for him.
I think this says more about your failure to evaluate talent than their failure to play hard.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Some kid who used to post here. Pretty sure he was a junior at Ames High School. Bragged about leaving at halftime of an Iowa State football game that we were winning close, because he was bored.
he talked crap to me before CF basketball. He showed up and @cyhiphopp can tell you what happened.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Other than the firing scenario, if I were trying to persuade Prohm to leave on his own (the buyout would be part of it, of course), I would actually point to McDermott at Creighton, after his tough time here. McDermott has actually had fairly good success there, other than maybe two seasons, and I think his winning % is something like .662. Of course it helps when you've got a son who winds up POY in college b.b. His success in the Big Dance has not been that impressive, but he's got them there at least. Not to mention that Creighton is consistently in the top ten in attendance figures.
In other words, I would make the "it's just not a 'fit' here" argument to Prohm. It's a common argument in the professions and in business.

I think you are on to something...."it's just not a fit here".......Prohm is not a good fit here imho.....