Utah Valley

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Colbray looked real skinny, but didn’t gas in the third which was a big positive. Coleman is getting over a sickness and had me worried in the first, but rebounded nicely. Big test coming up Saturday

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I might have missed some explanation, but why is Colbray and Coleman switching weight classes? I don't know anything, but that seems like an interesting decision.

Colbray actually certified for 165 and the staff thought he would have a better chance of AAing at 174. Marcus was also struggling to make 174 and it was affecting his energy in matches so the bump to 184 could help him

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Obviously, UVU didn't wrestle most of their horses, but that was awful. Was entertained by their president w/ her pom poms in the front row. She was deflated by the end.

While UVU was extremely bad, I will take any beat down I can get out of an Iowa State team after the last month in cyclone sports..

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Colbray actually certified for 165 and the staff thought he would have a better chance of AAing at 174. Marcus was also struggling to make 174 and it was affecting his energy in matches so the bump to 184 could help him

Thanks for the info I had no idea. Hopefully this helps both of them.

Reactions: stuclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
It looks a lot like the Dane Pestano experiment, and Colbray should have crushed his opponent tonight (and didn't), but I hope I'm wrong. Great win for the Cyclones on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
It looks a lot like the Dane Pestano experiment, and Colbray should have crushed his opponent tonight (and didn't), but I hope I'm wrong. Great win for the Cyclones on the road.
Colbray hasn't really crushed anybody this year unfortunately. Hopefully he finds his mojo or whatever he's missing and opens up the offense more in the second half of the season. Then again, as long as he wins I don't really care how he does it.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Colbray hasn't really crushed anybody this year unfortunately. Hopefully he finds his mojo or whatever he's missing and opens up the offense more in the second half of the season. Then again, as long as he wins I don't really care how he does it.

Just how some guys are. At this point, I think it’s safe to say that’s just who Colbray is as a wrestler. At the other end of the spectrum, their are your “kamikaze” wrestlers (to steal a line from Days of Thunder :D) like Mackall.

Personally, I much prefer guys who constantly pressure, but like you said “as long as he wins, I don’t really care”...all that much.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Colbray, Coleman win debut matches at new weights as Iowa State blanks Utah Valley
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...e-wrestling-shuts-out-utah-valley/4426585002/

... Much like they did a year ago, the Cyclones won this one thanks to a bevy of bonus points. Joel Shapiro (197), Alex Mackall (125), Ian Parker (141), Ryan Leisure (149) and David Carr (157) all recorded pins. All but Parker sewed their match up in the first period.

Shapiro’s was the most impressive, as it came over 20th-ranked Tanner Orndorff in 2 minutes and 12 seconds, when he was already up 4-1.

The night’s most thrilling match came at 133 pounds, where Todd Small won a 13-12 thriller over Taylor Lamont, a U23 Greco-Roman world-teamer and 2016 Junior Greco bronze medalist.

The two combined for eight takedowns — Lamont had one in the first, another in the second and two in the third, but Small had two in the first, one in the second and one in the final seconds of the third to win. ...
More on Coleman and Colbray ...

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Colbray being able to get to 165 blows my mind.
Certifying and getting to 165 are two different things. Part of the thought process for the change is it makes Colbray practice harder to get down to weight. Not everyone is wired like Parker/Degen, etc. that go hard all the time. As his body adjusted to the cut I expect a quick rise towards the top of the weight class.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Obviously, UVU didn't wrestle most of their horses, but that was awful. Was entertained by their president w/ her pom poms in the front row. She was deflated by the end.

Thought you were being cryptic by saying Pom poms so I googled, I realize she must have actually had Pom poms.

• Funny
Reactions: Sturge34