This is why Prohm must go........

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So what your saying is .... we have to be bad again next season just to save a $1.2 million? or that we only have to spend $1.2 million more after this season to give us somthing to look forward to in 2020 2021?

I'm saying that there is no way Jamie Pollard fires Prohm after this year. None.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
Pretty sure the the 11/12 and 12/13 teams had 'hero ball' thrown at them quite a bit, and wasn't there literally something where people didn't think Royce was sweating enough?

Royce's effort was clearly high enough for him to be drafted in the lottery. And being accused of "hero ball" has nothing to do with a team playing with effort and competing.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Royce's effort was clearly high enough for him to be drafted in the lottery. And being accused of "hero ball" has nothing to do with a team playing with effort and competing.

But it would mean that people didn't think they played very well together or for each other.

Those things are never guarantees, no matter the coach.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Other than the firing scenario, if I were trying to persuade Prohm to leave on his own (the buyout would be part of it, of course), I would actually point to McDermott at Creighton, after his tough time here. McDermott has actually had fairly good success there, other than maybe two seasons, and I think his winning % is something like .662. Of course it helps when you've got a son who winds up POY in college b.b. His success in the Big Dance has not been that impressive, but he's got them there at least. Not to mention that Creighton is consistently in the top ten in attendance figures.
In other words, I would make the "it's just not a 'fit' here" argument to Prohm. It's a common argument in the professions and in business.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Other than the firing scenario, if I were trying to persuade Prohm to leave on his own (the buyout would be part of it, of course), I would actually point to McDermott at Creighton, after his tough time here. McDermott has actually had fairly good success there, other than maybe two seasons, and I think his winning % is something like .662. Of course it helps when you've got a son who winds up POY in college b.b. His success in the Big Dance has not been that impressive, but he's got them there at least. Not to mention that Creighton is consistently in the top ten in attendance figures.
In other words, I would make the "it's just not a 'fit' here" argument to Prohm. It's a common argument in the professions and in business.
How often has this happened though in all of p5?

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Hard to argue with the critics when you have a historic loss to a conference foe and a historic loss to a high school team in a short period of time. ******** about it isn't going to make anything better. Now is the time to get behind the players that are here and encourage our coach to become ... let's just say ... a better coach.

Reactions: NWICY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
No idea, but I doubt there would be any way TO know, since such conversations would be pretty discrete or confidential, I would imagine.
I mean you’d know how many coaches voluntarily left to go back to a lower conference, seems very rare.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Hard to argue with the critics when you have a historic loss to a conference foe and a historic loss to a high school team in a short period of time. ******** about it isn't going to make anything better. Now is the time to get behind the players that are here and encourage our coach to become ... let's just say ... a better coach.

I don't think anyone thinks ******** about it will make anything better. I think many people think the only thing that will make this any better is removing the least common denominator from the equation.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
But it would mean that people didn't think they played very well together or for each other.

Those things are never guarantees, no matter the coach.

You're right, circumstances like that are not guarantees but I would argue that a team that was predicted to finish near the bottom of the conference and ended up placing third had to play for each other. Those "hero ball" may have presented itself occasionally, a critique like that is simply not true.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines

I agree with your reasoning. He is not a P5 coach. He had relative success at mid major in the OVC. The problem in replacing him would be finding a suitable replacement that doesn't want to deter too much from "culture" many fans have grown accustomed to.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I may have missed the answer earlier in the thread, but Stanz said in a recent podcast that if George doesn't start in the next game there will need to be serious questions asked.

Well, he didn't start and led all re-bounders in his 19 minutes. Why is he not starting?

Honestly, I think Prohm is worried about him getting into early foul trouble. If he starts and gets two quick fouls we are in serious trouble ta the five.

• Funny
Reactions: Dingus

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's an advantage to have your best players coming off the bench said no one ever except on this site.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Jacobson was our featured offensive player for that five or six minute stretch in the first half.

He wasn't featured.... It's called taking what the defense gives you and everyone is packing it in on us right now because we can't hit a 3. MJ wasn't wide open at times because of the offense, he was wide open because Kansas wanted him to shoot.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
He wasn't featured.... It's called taking what the defense gives you and everyone is packing it in on us right now because we can't hit a 3. MJ wasn't wide open at times because of the offense, he was wide open because Kansas wanted him to shoot.

I'm not talking about the wide open three. I'm talking about when he was our only big man in the game and we fed him the ball and had him go one on one down low for several possessions.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
I'm not talking about the wide open three. I'm talking about when he was our only big man in the game and we fed him the ball and had him go one on one down low for several possessions.

The official stats have Jacobsen shooting 4/7 (0/2 3FT). That seems low. From my view atop Hilton it seemed like he missed more than 3 shots.

Help Support Us

Become a patron