Where does this team find shooting NEXT year even?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How on earth are we better on paper than last year? We lost Shayock, Wigginton, THT, Babb and Lard. That's 5 of our top 7 from a year ago.
On that note, given we finished 9-9 last year, the narrative on the early departures is overblown. Prohm needs a high talent buffer, and given what we last saw out of those three, this year was going to be a challenge regardless. He couldn’t manage two of those three.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
This team can't shoot the ball very well and when you subtract Halliburton from the equation its even worse.

Incoming recruits include a PG, 2 forwards and a highly rated C/PF. I don't see it there.

Maybe Bolton gets more consistent. Grill? sometimes fr. struggle shooting.
You are correct, but they play bad defense to make up for not being able to score.

• Funny
Reactions: BryceC

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
On that note, given we finished 9-9 last year, the narrative on the early departures is overblown. Prohm needs a high talent buffer, and given what we last saw out of those three, this year was going to be a challenge regardless. He couldn’t manage two of those three.

Jesus, you seriously don't think that THT and Wigginton wouldn't have been better players this year? An off season with those two and TH would have been huge.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We aren't a good enough program to just reload after losing that much talent so their early departures killed us.
We made the tournament 6 straight seasons in large part of reloading.

It’s not ISU MBB as much as it is Prohm. Prohm isn’t good enough at building a roster that he can work with and is poor in spring recruiting. Too many missteps. A 2 for 1 like Nixon isn’t good enough. He didn’t recruit Grayer. He signed two risks he knew he needed to promptly cull before the season, rather than cutting them in the spring to add needed talent (Grayer).

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Agreed. But there is absolutely no excuse for being this bad. None.
If you are what your record says you are then the current ISU team is one of the worst teams in the P6 conferences. You can't lose to FAU at home and claim to have any home court advantage. Even when they play well this team has shown a remarkable ability to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Who's our alpha? It isn't Hali. I thought it may have been MJ. Solo is tough but he's no alpha. Who on this team can get in every other players' face and demand better?

Hali is a cheerleader and is a great 2nd in command. But we have nobody that COMMANDS respect and has EARNED that respect.
I'm guessing MJ tries to, or Nixon, but they aren't good enough to players to carry a team like a true "alpha". I also don't think chemistry or not playing hard is the problem. Someone can demand "better" all they want, but the talent isn't there on this year's team. We can't shoot. MJ and Solo are tough guys, but are undersized and not great athletes compared to what Kansas put out there.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Here is an optimistic outtake.

Rasir Bolton was a better shooter at Penn State than this year. He'll likely move back towards 36% or better. In fact, after starting the season 2-20, he's shooting over 38%, so really he's back. Next year he's in that 38-40%.

Tre Jackson and Caleb Grill were pretty good shooters in high school. As they adjust to college ball and mature, they should see their % move up. Next year they will be in the 35% range.

Zion Griffin is currently shooting 35% from 3, so he fits that small ball, PF pick and pop mold. Foster may also fit that mold.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We made the tournament 6 straight seasons in large part of reloading.

It’s not ISU MBB as much as it is Prohm. Prohm isn’t good enough at building a roster that he can work with and is poor in spring recruiting. Too many missteps. A 2 for 1 like Nixon isn’t good enough. He didn’t recruit Grayer. He signed two risks he knew he needed to promptly cull before the season, rather than cutting them in the spring to add needed talent (Grayer).
You are right that we did reload. We also had 4 year anchors on those rosters, though. Having either Wigginton or THT be a 4-year anchor would have made a world of difference.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Jesus, you seriously don't think that THT and Wigginton wouldn't have been better players this year? An off season with those two and TH would have been huge.
On defense? No. On offense I’m guessing they’d be as inefficient as always. They’re no TH.

Jesus, did you see LW and Lard last year? Improvement in fundamentals and team concepts was minimal. I give Prohm credit for adjusting their PT accordingly.

The “losing guys early narrative” is overblown when you consider we went 9-9 last year. Without Shayok that’s potentially not a tournament last year. Add LW and Lard, subtracting Bolton, and we’re probably looking at a slightly better 2017-18.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
On defense? No. On offense I’m guessing they’d be as inefficient as always. They’re no TH.

Jesus, did you see LW and Lard last year? Improvement in fundamentals and team concepts was minimal. I give Prohm credit for adjusting their PT accordingly.

The “losing guys early narrative” is overblown when you consider we went 9-9 last year. Without Shayok that’s potentially not a tournament last year. Add LW and Lard, subtracting Bolton, and we’re probably looking at a slightly better 2017-18.

This is just a bad take.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You are right that we did reload. We also had 4 year anchors on those rosters, though. Having either Wigginton or THT be a 4-year anchor would have made a world of difference.
How many 4th year guys did we have in 2011-12 or 2012-13? Adding Wigginton would just make this a lot like 17-18 imo.

To have consistent success in CBB, like Hoiberg did, you need to have good spring recruiting. It had never been easier to do that at ISU, but Prohm was still bad at it in enough years to lead us to this point.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
This team can't shoot the ball very well and when you subtract Halliburton from the equation its even worse.

Incoming recruits include a PG, 2 forwards and a highly rated C/PF. I don't see it there.

Maybe Bolton gets more consistent. Grill? sometimes fr. struggle shooting.
We are going to need immediate impact from freshman. Darlinstone Dubar is a good athlete and shooter. He will be called on immediately to make some shots. I am not confident he will do it. Matt Thomas was recruited as one of the best pure shooters out of HS and it took him a few years. Lewis was similar and he hasn't caught on. We haven't had freshman lead the way in shooting since Sullivan did it for us. That's the type we need though.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Somebody needs to put @FinalFourCy into concussion protocol.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How many 4th year guys did we have in 2011-12 or 2012-13? Adding Wigginton would just make this a lot like 17-18 imo.

To have consistent success in CBB, like Hoiberg did, you need to have good spring recruiting. It had never been easier to do that at ISU, but Prohm was still bad at it in enough years to lead us to this point.

If a team is hedging their bet on spring recruiting they are in real trouble...

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
Have you seen North Carolina this year? If that doesn't pull things back into perspective I don't know what to tell you.

That is not a fair comparison. Though North Carolina is a blue blood, they have been without Cole Anthony, arguably the best player in the country, for quite some time. And even without him, North Carolina has still been competitive in the games they have played.

Help Support Us

Become a patron