Weather Thread - Jan 10 & Jan 11

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
No thread yet? Earl has some big numbers in "his" projections...others show significant snow accumulations. Are we close enough to the event to trust the projections yet?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Looks like central Iowa might dodge the worst of it yet again. I got the snowblower ready early after that few inches of snow we had in October, and since then...crickets.

So I assume it will be like last year, and starting in another couple weeks we will pack an entire winter's worth of activity into six weeks.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Looks like central Iowa might dodge the worst of it yet again. I got the snowblower ready early after that few inches of snow we had in October, and since then...crickets.

So I assume it will be like last year, and starting in another couple weeks we will pack an entire winter's worth of activity into six weeks.

Im not complaining about winter so far, but Im fully expecting to have a repeat of last year

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The snow I can handle...it was the bitter cold from last Jan/Feb that drove me nuts!

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I haven't looked at the latest projections other then this morning's news showing us being on the back side with possibly sleet snow mix tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully get to try out the new tires I have on both vehicles for fun. Or the new tractor and blower.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
NWS says mostly eastern Iowa.

EN1ykz0UcAEC1mf.jpg

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
NWS says mostly eastern Iowa.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">❄️Although some uncertainty exists in snow amounts each day, two periods of snow are anticipated late Fri, and again Saturday into the evening. Appreciable, at least moderate snowfall totals are anticipated producing hazardous travel conditions. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/iawx?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#iawx</a> <a href="https://t.co/EO1d878uFW">pic.twitter.com/EO1d878uFW</a></p>&mdash; NWS Des Moines (@NWSDesMoines) <a href="">January 9, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am in the CR area...so 4 to 6 would be significant...but if the totals slide to the west a bit...I would be in store for even more!

Reactions: wxman1

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I am in the CR area...so 4 to 6 would be significant...but if the totals slide to the west a bit...I would be in store for even more!
I would love a shift to the northwest a bit more:D:D currently sitting in the 2-4" band. Have been seeing its were the high pressure will set up that will drive the accumulation amounts N/NW or most likely to the SE that I have seen and heard.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Kaj hit the nail on the head. This is going to be one interesting storm nationwide.

Kaj is great! Love his passion for his work! Never met the guy but my kids have enjoyed his visits to their classrooms to talk weather. He seems like a guy that really works hard to get the forecast as exact as possible because he knows people rely on that information...but he also knows he won't be able to please everyone!

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and 1UNI2ISU

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chicago could end up getting an epic ice storm out of this.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Was supposed to go to a wedding Saturday night an hour south of Davenport. Doesnt look like that is happening.....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron