It's Possible......

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It's not true. Prohm was Pollard's choice. And what exactly does "the story lines up/makes sense" mean?

The fact that Jamie was meeting with TJ prior to Hoibergs departure (when he knew it was highly likely Fred was leaving), the fact that TJ "randomly" came back to ISU knowing Hoiberg was likely leaving, as well as other things that happened between Leath/Pollard/TJ during the hiring process.

Reactions: xboxfever

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Not sure why, but I saw this thread title and thought Kim Possible before opening it. Disappointed at the lack of Shego.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
For starters, he did what we wanted him to do. Who ever complained when Prohm got raises or extensions? Nobody.

I was very against it - dude went 9-9 in conference play with a loaded roster and was given a raise and extension for having 3 good days of coaching as opposed to 5 months of mediocre coaching. Then sucked against Ohio State.

I stand by he was given a raise/extension because JP was afraid of Prohm leaving.

Now we’re probably going to be a bottom 2 team in the Big 12 3 out of 4 years, but **** he won’t a Big 12 Tournament the lone year, so lets extend him!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It is Pollards fault. He had an out last spring. Hoiberg put Nebby on hold watching the ISU situation. Bama had eyes on Prohm (ended up with Oates). This could have happened. Pollard chose Prohm over Freddy, plain and simple.
There was no "situation." You're out of your damn mind if you think Jamie was going to fire a coach who just won the Big 12 tournament and made the tournament. That would've been suicide for ever hiring another quality coach.

"Go coach at Iowa State...they think so highly of themselves despite not actually accomplishing anything that they canned a coach who went to the tournament."

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Well if the best winning pct in program history doesn’t qualify as better than “good”, I guess that speaks to our program.
We could have and probably should have won more games was all I was getting at. Prohm's performance is awful right now no doubt, but plenty of people complained about Fred on here as well. Tons of revisionist history around here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
For starters, he did what we wanted him to do. Who ever complained when Prohm got raises or extensions? Nobody. Same as how nobody complains when Campbell gets them now.

As it happens, tonight I stumbled into Pollard's tweet from last March announcing Prohm's extension. It's full of replies, almost universally positive, including people I follow on Twitter who praised the move at the time and have since checked out entirely.

This is a total hindsight bias situation, and we're as much to blame as Pollard.
Wrong.

There were many fans that had doubts. Of course the normal herd of idiots here attempted to drown them out, but to say nobody complained is false.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I was very against it - dude went 9-9 in conference play with a loaded roster and was given a raise and extension for having 3 good days of coaching as opposed to 5 months of mediocre coaching. Then sucked against Ohio State.

I stand by he was given a raise/extension because JP was afraid of Prohm leaving.

Now we’re probably going to be a bottom 2 team in the Big 12 3 out of 4 years, but **** he won’t a Big 12 Tournament the lone year, so lets extend him!
Coaches are always going to be preemptively extended so none are ever in lame duck territory sitting in a recruit's living room.

When extensions are offered, Pollard has the wallets of the people who actually matter behind him. He can fire Prohm tomorrow and have the buyout taken care of with a couple phone calls. His job isn't to be knee jerk like people on a message board.

In Pollard's position, hiring is more or less a crapshoot. Iowa State isn't a destination job where we get to pull a proven commodity from a similar institution... we're rolling the dice and hoping for the best. Look at the college AD landscape and you won't find many ADs who nailed every hire.

In some ways, Prohm is a victim of his own success recruiting. Getting guys like Wigginton and THT on campus is awesome...until they both leave and you're now left with a huge hole in your roster that's not exactly easy to fill because you couldn't plan on them leaving because they were underclassmen. Then they leave and the players who you would've liked to fill the spot are already signed elsewhere because you didn't have spots open.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Man, how far Scott Drew has come in the eyes of CF.

Since establishing his program he's had a floor of NIT (one being an NIT championship), so he's never bottomed out like we did a couple years ago and appear to be now, a couple elite 8s, a couple more trips to the sweet 16, and he's done that at Baylor, a terrible place for basketball.

Its not going to happen, of course, but i mean, if you were offered an even trade, Prohm for Drew, you'd have to take it, right?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Since establishing his program he's had a floor of NIT (one being an NIT championship), so he's never bottomed out like we did a couple years ago and appear to be now, a couple elite 8s, a couple more trips to the sweet 16, and he's done that at Baylor, a terrible place for basketball.

Its not going to happen, of course, but i mean, if you were offered an even trade, Prohm for Drew, you'd have to take it, right?
I'm not after Prohm's head like others. I acknowledge things are not good but I also think some of that is out of Steve's control. Based on experience obvious that Drew is more qualified.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Just guessing, but I imagine it has something to do with turning our dumpster fire of a men's basketball program into a relevant, nationally recognized program and ushering in one of the best eras Iowa State basketball has ever seen.

Yep. I’m sick of hearing fans downgrade what he and his Cyclone players accomplished because they are mad at him.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just guessing, but I imagine it has something to do with turning our dumpster fire of a men's basketball program into a relevant, nationally recognized program and ushering in one of the best eras Iowa State basketball has ever seen.
Ok... but you are still pining for someone who left you for a millionaire and is now dating the meth head at the trailer park.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Baylor ha$ certain other advantage$ if you know what I mean.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy$

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Ok... but you are still pining for someone who left you for a millionaire and is now dating the meth head at the trailer park.

I don't think I'm pining for anyone. I don't care if he comes back. I just think it's crazy some people hold him in disregard given what he was able to do for our program.