MLB: Girl Struck by Foul Ball at Cubs-Astros

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It's absolutely a terrible thing to happen. However, I still can't wrap my mind around taking a 2 year old to a ballgame. Sounds like a wonderful family thing to do, but at that age I can see allot of negative things happening without offsetting positive things.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
It's absolutely a terrible thing to happen. However, I still can't wrap my mind around taking a 2 year old to a ballgame. Sounds like a wonderful family thing to do, but at that age I can see allot of negative things happening without offsetting positive things.

If I am bringing a 2 year old, I am sitting up in the nose bleeds.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I have taken my kids to ball games. Jebus this was a freak accident. Might as well wrap them in bubble wrap.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
I'm still stunned that protection at the ballpark wasn't a standard that MLB insurance companies insisted on. It's such an obvious thing to do, the whole protecting your customers from the dangers your game creates.

I assume that MLB teams have never been responsible for these types of things because of implied risk. I would also be very surprised if a lawsuit was successful. based on history. There could possibly be a settlement and with teams adding nets maybe that would show that they knew they were at fault.

All I know is that this is a terrible situation for everyone involved. We have been taking our son to games since he was 6 months old. Baseball games are family affairs and like everything, I guess you are just playing the odds that nothing like this will happen.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I assume that MLB teams have never been responsible for these types of things because of implied risk. I would also be very surprised if a lawsuit was successful. based on history. There could possibly be a settlement and with teams adding nets maybe that would show that they knew they were at fault.

All I know is that this is a terrible situation for everyone involved. We have been taking our son to games since he was 6 months old. Baseball games are family affairs and like everything, I guess you are just playing the odds that nothing like this will happen.
The backside of a ticket pretty much takes all liability out of MLBs hands.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times

Kind of. Just writing something or posting a sign doesn't negate liability. An example would be those trucks that say not responsible for damage. Them putting a sign on a truck doesn't exempt them from responsibility if they are indeed at fault, like when something flies directly out of the back of their truck and crack your windshield.

As mentioned above, implied risk exempts them. It is reasonable to believe that balls and even bats might be flying around at a baseball game. The back of a ticket does not constitute a binding contract.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I take my 2 year old everywhere, including ball games all the time.

freak accident and sad deal for all involved.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I take my 2 year old everywhere, including ball games all the time.

freak accident and sad deal for all involved.
I can see your perspective. And, admittedly, I'm all about risk/reward which our society due to the transparency of every frickin story 1000 miles away is now behaving as if WILL happen to us next. All, I'm saying here is: 'why' take your 2 year old to a game? Unless you think they're old enough to appreciate it. It's been a very long time ago since I was two, so maybe I just don't know. Maybe you can tell me 'why' you take your kid that old to a game. I'm not being snarky. I'm truly curious about your answer on this.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I can see your perspective. And, admittedly, I'm all about risk/reward which our society due to the transparency of every frickin story 1000 miles away is now behaving as if WILL happen to us next. All, I'm saying here is: 'why' take your 2 year old to a game? Unless you think they're old enough to appreciate it. It's been a very long time ago since I was two, so maybe I just don't know. Maybe you can tell me 'why' you take your kid that old to a game. I'm not being snarky. I'm truly curious about your answer on this.

We take our kids everywhere. We basically do everything as a family. All of my kids have gone to basically every basketball game since they were born. I have a kid who will turn 3 in about a month, who has been to 3 straight bowl games. They don’t get anything out of it other than spending a lot of family time with my wife and I when they still think we’re somewhat cool.

Reactions: Macloney and NWICY

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Going to a baseball game is like 5% watching baseball and 95% being outside with friends/family eating nachos, hot dogs and various other snacks.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

The attorneys will go back and forth on this one. One side will show a picture of the backside of the ticket, the other side will show pictures of one park with netting and another without it and ask why they are not all the same.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

We would just rather do everything together as a family vs not. I guess that’s how I grew up so it doesn’t seem foreign to me.

Reactions: Cloneon

Help Support Us

Become a patron