Star Wars episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I liked this movie. Not much of a trilogy due to two directors with completely different ideas that ruined most of the continuity.

This movie references 7 way more than 8

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I liked this movie. Not much of a trilogy due to two directors with completely different ideas that ruined most of the continuity.

This movie references 7 way more than 8

7 and RotJ are the best to watch before it if anyone is thinking of a mini binge.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Been listening to a lot of recaps and pods on specifically fan's reactions to RoS. Honestly I get now why people were so pissed at TLJ. People who I listened to last time that hated TLJ that complained about the story not making sense, the force powers not making sense, stupid side quests, etc. Those things are even more prevalent in RoS, I don't think that's debatable.

But I'm hearing again and again grown men talking about tearing up with Han Solo returning in a vision to Kylo/Ben. I'm hearing them talk about how effecting the Luke force ghost talking about how he was wrong and raising the X-Wing got to them. I'm hearing them say that these are the best parts of the movie.

IMO I think it's evident where the divide is in the fanbase. There is a lot of fans that really did just want to see it run back with their old buds from the OT. There was a section of the fanbase that wanted something new. These things are at odds with each other.

Again, I don't blame Rian Johnson or JJ for any of this. This series needed a creative director to helm the story. Rian said that he wasn't given a frame to work with when he was given TLJ. That's foolish. It shows. It also shows that I think it was foolish to give us a story with these same characters as it was always going to go this way.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Has anyone else discussed the Palpatine/Rey thing? When I first watched the force awakens, I noticed that at first Rey's attack style is very....stabby. Now go back and watch Revenge of the Sith... Palpatine is very stabby when he goes after Jedi's tasked with taking him in. So when they revealed that Palpatine would be in #9, it wasn't a shock to me that Rey was from his bloodline. Anyone else notice that? I went back and rewatched those scenes and it's not as striking as I recall, but I don't remember anyone else doing that two handed stab with their laser sword.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Has anyone else discussed the Palpatine/Rey thing? When I first watched the force awakens, I noticed that at first Rey's attack style is very....stabby. Now go back and watch Revenge of the Sith... Palpatine is very stabby when he goes after Jedi's tasked with taking him in. So when they revealed that Palpatine would be in #9, it wasn't a shock to me that Rey was from his bloodline. Anyone else notice that? I went back and rewatched those scenes and it's not as striking as I recall, but I don't remember anyone else doing that two handed stab with their laser sword.

I mean, she also reflected force lightning. That's something only Mace Windu could do. She's the lovechild of Palpatine and Mace?

• Funny
Reactions: bos

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I mean, she also reflected force lightning. That's something only Mace Windu could do. She's the lovechild of Palpatine and Mace?

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: bos

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Enjoy. I want THAT movie.

I would watch the heck out of that drama.

That is some Shakespearean wheels-within-wheels-within-wheels stuff there.

Putting another layer on it --

This could be BS made up by the JJ camp to deflect blame. I have called him a hack several times on here, but, assuming the above is at least partially true, it really shows him as the victim of Disney micromanagement and mismanagement.

It also makes the meta-commentary in Ford v. Ferrari about how making a fast car is like making a good movie all the more appreciable.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

I guess this has been theorized before but I never bothered to look it up.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I watched this last night and I really liked the movie. There were at least three scenes that gave me goosebumps. That being said, I'm not a hardcore fan and I only watch episodes starting with A New Hope. If the movie is entertaining, I'm fine with it. I can see how people way more into the entire SW universe could be upset.

My one question - what happened to Kylo Ren's facial scar in his final scene? Goof up or did I miss something?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
  • Agree
Reactions: BryceC and simply1

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Finally got to watch this. Overall, enjoyed it. Loved all the cameos by old characters. Chewie finally got his medal!

Trilogy overall was weird.

Also, Daisy Ridley is bae.