Black Friday-What are you buying?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Two new iphone 11's. Got $200 on trade in each of our old 6s+ and only half price on activation ($40 is normal). Trade value on Wednesday was only $50. Dang battery health on my phone is like 70% and the latest software update will not load.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Two new iphone 11's. Got $200 on trade in each of our old 6s+ and only half price on activation ($40 is normal). Trade value on Wednesday was only $50. Dang battery health on my phone is like 70% and the latest software update will not load.
who is your provider?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Got this for $399, normally $599. So far I'm liking the size.

PFoAzN0.jpg

Made a few mods and added a wrench organizer

ZuXbLwM.jpg

eQjOsdy.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Got this for $399, normally $599. So far I'm liking the size.

PFoAzN0.jpg

Made a few mods and added a wrench organizer

ZuXbLwM.jpg

eQjOsdy.jpg

Makes me realize I need a major organization day in the garage and the workshop in the basement. The tools get mixed up between those two spots.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'm waiting to see what Home Depot has for tool chests. I'm looking for something like this or a little bit bigger.

gloss-black-husky-mobile-workbenches-h46mwc9xd-64_1000.jpg

I've done a little bit of research and it's probably going to come down to Husky or Milwaukee. I was surprised by two brands, the first being one by Harbor Freight, which ended up being just as nice as the Husky and Milwaukee. The second was Craftsman, which I expected to be great but seemed like junk.

What's on your list?

FWIW I bought that Husky a few months ago and absolutely love it.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I set this up for my parents and they have internet like they've never had before. Really awesome system.

Random, but I had to go back and look, but this post got me looking into the Google Mesh and i went for it and have been blown away at how great it is.

I had a standard wifi router with a couple extenders in the house. I was getting about 15-25mb download average (but lots of dropped connections, devices jumping between extenders, etc).

I picked up the Google Mesh with router/one additional point and have been super happy. Now averaging about 65-85 mb (which is more than I'm paying for, oddly enough), zero connection issues (unless actual feed goes out from street), super easy to set up, and no complaints. I shut off the "smart speaker" function of the access point because I have another system, but a cool feature if you wanted to use google home in that way.

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Random, but I had to go back and look, but this post got me looking into the Google Mesh and i went for it and have been blown away at how great it is.

I had a standard wifi router with a couple extenders in the house. I was getting about 15-25mb download average (but lots of dropped connections, devices jumping between extenders, etc).

I picked up the Google Mesh with router/one additional point and have been super happy. Now averaging about 65-85 mb (which is more than I'm paying for, oddly enough), zero connection issues (unless actual feed goes out from street), super easy to set up, and no complaints. I shut off the "smart speaker" function of the access point because I have another system, but a cool feature if you wanted to use google home in that way.

How big is your house and how many "points" did you buy?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
How big is your house and how many "points" did you buy?
2,000 SF ranch style. I bought the two pack (router and one point). I have the router in the basement and the one point in the middle of the upstairs and coverage is great. It event extends far out into my garage yard.

The older sets come with three (look like pucks) and each does have a wired connection if needed, but the set I got are newer (the ones that are more sphere-ish). While the point doesn't have LAN (which I determined I didn't need), I believe coverage is actually same/better based on reviews.

I only needed two LAN connections for other devices which I could do via the router in the basement.

Reactions: cstrunk

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
That's the biggest question I've had. I have a similar size ranch style house as well, and my cable access point is in the middle of the house, so I wasn't sure if I needed a 3 pack or not to get the edges of the house. I suppose I could always get one and see how it performs and buy additional points if necessary.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
That's the biggest question I've had. I have a similar size ranch style house as well, and my cable access point is in the middle of the house, so I wasn't sure if I needed a 3 pack or not to get the edges of the house. I suppose I could always get one and see how it performs and buy additional points if necessary.

I think you'd be fine. Honestly, i bet the one point in the middle would totally do the job. you could use the other point as a smart speaker in another room, too. Just be sure you snapshot your speed prior to install and after. :)