MONDAY MUSINGS: Hoops thoughts, football coaching changes, don't be a jackass

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’m fine with conditt starting. But he played 31 minutes Saturday. I’m guessing he can’t play a lot more. I’d rather have him in late.

I sort of get tired of people ******** about him starting when he’s playing a lot.

He's playing starters minutes and is on the floor at the end. If and when he DOES start, curious how often (or not) he gets into early foul trouble as he adjusts to his role.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He's playing starters minutes and is on the floor at the end. If and when he DOES start, curious how often (or not) he gets into early foul trouble as he adjusts to his role.

exactly. Or how playing earlier makes him more tired at the end of a game when we need him.

• Creative
Reactions: Halincandenza

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I appreciate people maintaining their optimism regarding the basketball season. Really. I think, however, people are choosing to overlook the reality of where the program is, coupled with the overall talent on the roster, and yes, the coaching. We're not an NCAA caliber team. We have one stud, a couple pretty good players, and the rest are decent role players. It's the unfortunate reality.

Good snapshot of this program RIGHT NOW. Not next year, not about the new kids and their potential, not about growth with this year's class, not about CSP's track record as a head coach but RIGHT NOW with a loss to a league team on the road and that horrific loss to FA&MU.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I appreciate people maintaining their optimism regarding the basketball season. Really. I think, however, people are choosing to overlook the reality of where the program is, coupled with the overall talent on the roster, and yes, the coaching. We're not an NCAA caliber team. We have one stud, a couple pretty good players, and the rest are decent role players. It's the unfortunate reality.

We have 3 guys that would play on good teams. That's it

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We have 3 guys that would play on good teams. That's it

This is the problem.

The question I have is there anything Prohm can do about it in the next season or two?

Next year looks brutal when we lose Haliburton.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
but why does it hurt for fans? I was in on rhoads too long. But I had no control over when he was fired. I’m guessing you didn’t either.

like I’ve said before, being a keyboard warrior for firing prohm will not convince Jamie to fire him. It’ll make him support him more.

I don't want him fired, it'll be too much of a mess to clean up if we do, I think we've seen his ceiling but I'll be going nuts Wednesday night when KU comes to Hilton and every other game the rest of the year, I'll be just as passionate. There should just be a difference between legitimate criticisms of Prohm in discussions here and jackasses going after people on twitter. Many people are attacking anyone who isn't sunshine and roses all the time. We should be able to talk about things that went wrong and give our opinions about that. I think CW was saying similar, I don't think he was calling for a gag order on anything negative.

Saturday was the perfect example, Prohm made great adjustments in the 2nd half but Dixon was one step ahead of him when he tried to foul at the end of regulation. That happens, being aware of that or admitting that doesn't mean you hate Prohm, want him fired or are a ****** fan. You have people equating that to tweeting at players (not saying you are doing that).

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I’m fine with conditt starting. But he played 31 minutes Saturday. I’m guessing he can’t play a lot more. I’d rather have him in late.

I sort of get tired of people ******** about him starting when he’s playing a lot.
I agree with you in principle, but there are two issues the way I see it. 1, it seems like we start every half terribly. We can't continue to dig ourselves a hole to start a half while our 2nd best player sits on the bench. 2, George misses out on a rotation when he sits the first 6-7 minutes of a half. If you start him and are strategic with his rests, you can get him a couple more minutes per half.

• Winner
Reactions: Dingus

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Look at the trajectory of the program under Prohm. It's downtrending. 2017 was bad. Last year the team really underperformed considering the talent. This year is still playing out, but there's not a whole lot of positive.

And, just to note, this is a poster who looks for the positive in the programs.
Not a generally negative sports guy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Stewo

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
but why does it hurt for fans? I was in on rhoads too long. But I had no control over when he was fired. I’m guessing you didn’t either.

like I’ve said before, being a keyboard warrior for firing prohm will not convince Jamie to fire him. It’ll make him support him more.

And I think thats where a lot of us Prohm out guys are worried. We felt CPR was given way too much time from Pollard and do not want to see the same mistake made. Change doesn't happen without others pushing for it. Obviously keep it respectful and don't personally attack the team or the coaches, but to ask others, who are sharing their frustrations in a respectful way, to be silenced is ridiculous.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, I've been full steam ahead with Steve, even after last season, but that loss last week was sobering and sort of shook me awake. We're downtrending pretty hard the last three seasons.

If a game is close down the stretch and it looks like we need someone to draw up a play or make something happen, and that someone is Prohm, I get a book or some work ready. Figure that I might as well get something done, since the ending will stink.

• Agree
Reactions: Stewo

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Optimistic like 'let's see what happens and look for good things' or optimistic like 'this really is a good team, they just haven't shown it for two months except for one or two games'?

The latter can hurt a fans' mindset because they don't face reality. After ISU went 7-5 in football, there were predictions of them winning handily over Notre Dame on here, likely with the 'best 7-5 team in the country' mantra staying strong, when in reality, 7-5 is 7-5 and it was why they finished 7-6.

If in March, the team is sub.500 over all, and there's still fans that can't believe the team loses another game in Hilton or something, their optimism has bent their perception.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
And I think thats where a lot of us Prohm out guys are worried. We felt CPR was given way too much time from Pollard and do not want to see the same mistake made. Change doesn't happen without others pushing for it. Obviously keep it respectful and don't personally attack the team or the coaches, but to ask others, who are sharing their frustrations in a respectful way, to be silenced is ridiculous.
I am not necessarily a Prohm out guy at this moment (although I too think the trajectory is becoming more obvious), but this sums it up better than I could've.

• Friendly
Reactions: CloneFan4

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If a game is close down the stretch and it looks like we need someone to draw up a play or make something happen, and that someone is Prohm, I get a book or some work ready. Figure that I might as well get something done, since the ending will stink.
It's the sad truth. Great guy, just not much in the way of an X's and O's guy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron