Last edited:
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Randoms:

Not a fan of the Batman voice. o_O

Though three episodes. So far it's "okay" which isn't a ringing endorsement since I'll watch just about any sci-fi or fantasy stuff that ain't awful.

At least they are not shortchanging us, almost a hour per episodes and not the 45 minutes (looking a you, Expanse!) stuff everyone but HBO seems to shake out. If you are going to go short season at least make them full length episodes.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Re-watching the series again with closed captioning this time. The closed captioning has helped out picking up some of the dialogue which, was a difficult for me, to pick up the first time. A couple of interesting things after watching the first episode.

1. Fringila, the mage who's assigned to Nilfgaard, can be seen briefly in the bar in Blavakin. She's behind Geralt when he's at the bar wanting an ale.

2. The show gives away / communicates to you that Geralt scenes are happening in the past. This is confirmed via dialogue between Geralt and Renfri. Renfri mentions that Queen Calanthe just won her first battle. In an earlier scene, dialogue between Queen Calanthe and Ciri, Ciri says to the queen, "You won your first battle when you were 14, I've heard the ballads".

Last edited:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Haven’t read through this thread but started watching this weekend. Just finished episode 3 and this series has a lot of potential. Like it so far for someone with no background of the series.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Haven’t read through this thread but started watching this weekend. Just finished episode 3 and this series has a lot of potential. Like it so far for someone with no background of the series.

I rewatched the series a 2nd time with subtitles on. It definitely helped. Heck have subtitles on the first time. You'll pick up on a number of subtle but important things.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Re-watching the series again with closed captioning this time. The closed captioning has helped out picking up some of the dialogue which, was a difficult for me, to pick up the first time. A couple of interesting things after watching the first episode.

1. Fringila, the mage who's assigned to Nilfgaard, can be seen briefly in the bar in Blavakin. She's behind Geralt when he's at the bar wanting an ale.

2. The show gives away / communicates to you that Geralt scenes are happening in the past. This is confirmed via dialogue between Geralt and Renfri. Renfri mentions that Queen Calanthe just won her first battle. In an earlier scene, dialogue between Queen Calanthe and Ciri, Ciri says to the queen, "You won your first battle when you were 14, I've heard the ballads".

I thought it was MILFgard. Sounds like a new IUD...

• Funny
Reactions: Daserop

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

It's really a mash-up of every sci-fi / fantasy show made over the last 10 years but I enjoyed it.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I really liked the first season. As with all shows that focus on characters in separate areas I definitely preferred some arcs.

I really couldn’t care less about Ciri, I feel like her story could’ve been introduced/completed in the last 2-3 episodes of the season. Dragging it throughout the entire season without any real developments/changes in her situation was a poor choice.

Give me more Geralt vs the monster of the week. I thought the episode against the possessed woman (Strega/Striger?)was the strongest by far.

Yennefer is fun, I feel like we could’ve used more on her becoming the badass mage she is, versus all her struggles at the conclave. She went from being basically worthless to incredibly adept in between episodes.

Jaskier is welcome in any episode, he was great comic relief, especially interacting with Yen.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I really liked the first season. As with all shows that focus on characters in separate areas I definitely preferred some arcs.

I really couldn’t care less about Ciri, I feel like her story could’ve been introduced/completed in the last 2-3 episodes of the season. Dragging it throughout the entire season without any real developments/changes in her situation was a poor choice.

Give me more Geralt vs the monster of the week. I thought the episode against the possessed woman (Strega/Striger?)was the strongest by far.

Yennefer is fun, I feel like we could’ve used more on her becoming the badass mage she is, versus all her struggles at the conclave. She went from being basically worthless to incredibly adept in between episodes.

Jaskier is welcome in any episode, he was great comic relief, especially interacting with Yen.

The problem with the Ciri storyline is she's overexposed for the importance of her character at this point. I'll put it in spoilers just in case.

The only thing we really need to know about Ciri for season 1 is she's the granddaughter of the queen and the rightful heir to Cintra, that she's fated to Geralt due to the Law of Surprise, that she escaped Cintra during its fall to Nilfgaard, that she eventually catches up to Geralt with that family at the end of season 1, and that she's extremely powerful. Honestly I could have done without that entire dryad storyline as it really serves no importance to her character other than to remind people she's powerful and an heir to Cintra. It really has no bearing on her importance in the future.

Now for spoilers beyond season 1: Honestly, Ciri's story doesn't really start getting important until she starts witcher's training with Geralt and Vesemir and sorceress training with Triss and Yennifer, she starts being used as a bargaining chip/manipulative purposes by the Lodge of Sorceresses (sans Triss and Yen), and when she starts drawing attention from the Wild Hunt.

For those that are only familiar with the games, Jaskier is Dandelion. The bard only goes by Dandelion in the English translation of the games. Everywhere else, even the English translation of the books, he's Jaskier.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
The Reddit link does an amazing job at explaining the Witcher. I'd suggest watchings 1 first to avoid spoilers

//www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/ekfvtu/a_guide_to_season_1_of_the_witcher/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thanks! That's a pretty good high level overview. I had most of it but like a few others are saying if you have subtitles on or go back and watch with subtitles there is stuff to pick up.

And that is my gripe with the show so far. I don't understand why they do the audio mix like that.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
XBox had The Witcher 3 available for $11 last week, so I decided to download it and play it through before I start the series. Game is as good as it gets.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
XBox had The Witcher 3 available for $11 last week, so I decided to download it and play it through before I start the series. Game is as good as it gets.

Yeah, Steam had one of their insane deals over Christmas, so I bought both Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 (Game of the Year edition, which includes all the downloads plus both expansions) for under $20. As I said earlier, I finished the first Witcher recently and started up Witcher 2. The graphics in Witcher 2 are so much better, but the controls on PC are so much worse (and it wasn't great in the first, either).

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, Steam had one of their insane deals over Christmas, and I bought both Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 (Game of the Year edition, which includes all the downloads plus both expansions) for under $20. As I said earlier, I finished the first Witcher recently and started up Witcher 2. The graphics in Witcher 2 are so much better, but the controls on PC are so much worse (and it wasn't great in the first, either).
I honestly don't think I ever played one. When 2 came out all of my buddies were raving about it so I hopped on then. Glad I did because 3 is one of my favorites, if not the favorite, of any story-driven game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I honestly don't think I ever played one. When 2 came out all of my buddies were raving about it so I hopped on then. Glad I did because 3 is one of my favorites, if not the favorite, of any story-driven game.

I'm not sure you really need to, as the only relevant thing that's relevant in the first Witcher is they lean heavily into Geralt's amnesia, and, if you play it that way, how Geralt's and Triss' romance really goes into full gear. It deals very little with the Wild Hunt (only instances in the first act and the final boss fight) and it seems like everyone in the game knows you, but because of the amnesia you have no idea why - and they go very little into it. That, and the Scoiatel aren't necessarily the enemy - only if your choices lead them to be. Yennifer isn't even mentioned by name and is only even hinted at once or twice.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's actually quite good. It's just completely unnecessary to play when trying to understand what's going on in 2 and 3. I'd say 2 is probably much more important to 3 than 1 is to either of them. But if you're a fan of the series, then get it and play it. But I'll also agree with a lot of comments online - it really needs to be remastered. It probably looks good compared to a typical 2006 game, but compared to Witcher 2 and 3 the character models are awful. Triss looks so bad they remodeled her for 2 (which carried over to 3). At least they carried over Shani's character model over to 3.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Think it was worth it? I’ve had it forever and wasn’t sure if it’d be a nightmare to play.

I liked it, but it's nothing revealing in terms of the rest of the series. If you're a fan of the series definitely go for it, but also find a good online guide for leveling Geralt and how to progress the story the right way. Between grind leveling Geralt and actual game play it was 50 hours that I consider worth it. Just keep in mind for the most part it's a standalone story - or, at the very least, you would understand what's going on in 2 without playing it.

• Useful
Reactions: Bigman38

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron