Congrats to Tyrese

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Who would you put in your top 10 of most talented players at Iowa State? Keep in mind too that I’m only talking about players that I’ve seen play. I’m not going back before 2000 because I didn’t see anybody before that year play.

I mean I think you look at our first team All Conference players and go from there

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I mean I think you look at our first team All Conference players and go from there
College production and talent are two completely different things though. THT only averaged like 11 points per game but he’s probably going to play in the NBA because of his talent whereas some of those guys you are talking about probably don’t have the talent to play in the NBA.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
College production and talent are two completely different things though. THT only averaged like 11 points per game but he’s probably going to play in the NBA because of his talent whereas some of those guys you are talking about probably don’t have the talent to play in the NBA.

OK and Lindell didn't get drafted and isn't in the league. I love Lindell and honestly just having one of the two of him or THT would make this current team dangerous but it's not fair to say he's one of the most talented players in school history

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Crazy to think Royce only won one post-season game at Iowa State. What a waste of his career

his career was not wasted at isu at all. they got a bad draw and ran into the buzz saw that was kentucky. the waste of his career began after iowa state. he went from an unknown to a 1st round pick in 1 year at isu.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
his career was not wasted at isu at all. they got a bad draw and ran into the buzz saw that was kentucky. the waste of his career began after iowa state. he went from an unknown to a 1st round pick in 1 year at isu.

They didn't get a bad draw they earned a bad seed. I agree his career wasn't wasted I was mocking another poster on here

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Tyrese has the highest points above replacement of any player in college ball --

upload_2020-1-6_21-28-41.png

http://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&year=2020&top=353&start=20191101&end=20200501

What Tyrese is doing is incredible. And this is on a team lacking consistent outside shooters, though we do have a very high 2 PT % relative to the rest of basketball.

Just for context, if we replace him with a replacement level player (so think like a Lewis in his spot during that game we will not mention again), then we would go from +11.1 per 100 against an average college basketball team to +4.3 against an average college basketball team. And before you say that sounds way too good for this team, remember that there are 353 teams in Division I. The teams towards the bottom get really bad.

We are #70 in the country at +11.1 per 100. If we were to drop to +4.3, we would be the #122 spot, right behind UT-Arlington and right ahead of Georgia Tech. We would drop from #8 in the Big 12 (and yes, Bart Torvik has us ahead of Texas and K-State right now) down to #10 with roughly four points between us and the Purple Kitties.

You know what would be funny about that, though?

We would still be significantly ahead of Nebraska (#159, +1.1 per 100).

:D