Instant reaction podcast 1-4-19

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Excellent analysis by a guy who has clearly played the game himself.
Both positives and negatives are addressed, not just doom and gloom.
Agree that:
1. Nixon was better and can (will?) make a difference going forward if he continues to play that way.
2. (Of course) Conditt MUST start.
3. Jacobson and Young cannot -- CANNOT -- be on the floor at the same time. This has proven again and again.
4. Worst pick-and-roll defense, ever, esp. in the fist half by Iowa State. "Atrocious is not a strong enough word."

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
  • Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Loved the podcast Jared, as usual.

I think the most startling thing you mentioned, among many, was the schedule we're facing. If we lose to this coming Saturday in Hilton, it's VERY likely we start 0-5 in the conference.

Then we face OSU, and if that is a also a loss, then it's an 0-6 start with the next game being at #8 Auburn, and then #6 Baylor. That would then be 9 straight losses.

I know this is all a lot of "what if's", but with the way this team has looked, it's very, very possible folks. Is there any point where JP would be forced to do something, or will that never happen due to Prohm's deal??

The other thing that stood out to me from the podcast was how the players didn't seem to be able to go out and execute a simple plan to foul TCU yesterday at the end. Prohm did call for them to foul. So where's the disconnect there?

I do think Prohm was outcoached in that situation though when TCU screened for their hot shooter immediately as he crossed half court. We didn't seem to know what to do when that happened? I wouldn't even have had Conditt on the floor in that situation. Put 5 guards out there, all standing at the 3 pt line.

Bolton really should have just plowed over Samuel when he came to screen him.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I wouldn’t fault them if conditt didn’t start next week.. just because KU is going to absolutely abuse him. Tyrese getting him wide open dunks is fun though.
Yeah, seems like Young should guard Azubuike. Obviously things depend on matchups, but 90% of the time Conditt should get the nod.

Practice could be nothing but running the PnR and defending the PnR for the next week and I wouldn’t think that overkill.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Loved the podcast Jared, as usual.

I think the most startling thing you mentioned, among many, was the schedule we're facing. If we lose to this coming Saturday in Hilton, it's VERY likely we start 0-5 in the conference.

Then we face OSU, and if that is a also a loss, then it's an 0-6 start with the next game being at #8 Auburn, and then #6 Baylor. That would then be 9 straight losses.

I know this is all a lot of "what if's", but with the way this team has looked, it's very, very possible folks. Is there any point where JP would be forced to do something, or will that never happen due to Prohm's deal??

The other thing that stood out to me from the podcast was how the players didn't seem to be able to go out and execute a simple plan to foul TCU yesterday at the end. Prohm did call for them to foul. So where's the disconnect there?

I do think Prohm was outcoached in that situation though when TCU screened for their hot shooter immediately as he crossed half court. We didn't seem to know what to do when that happened? I wouldn't even have had Conditt on the floor in that situation. Put 5 guards out there, all standing at the 3 pt line.

Bolton really should have just plowed over Samuel when he came to screen him.

It wasn’t Samuel who set the screen. It was Grayer. Samuel was on the bench because Dixon wasn’t putting a 30% free throw shooter on the court in a must foul situation.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
@JStanz51

Thanks for the candid comments on the game.

Do you think Tre is going to keep playing more minutes? I like him and obviously the coaches do too, but he does need to shoot better. Thought it was interesting he was in during crunch time.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

@JStanz51

Thanks for the candid comments on the game.

Do you think Tre is going to keep playing more minutes? I like him and obviously the coaches do too, but he does need to shoot better. Thought it was interesting he was in during crunch time.

I do think Tre will continue to get more minutes as the season moves forward. The lineup with him and George is probably their best defensive group at this point and the fact of the matter is they'll have to be really good defensively in order to win games in the Big 12. It looks to me like Tre is not shooting the ball with much confidence right now (which is understandable when you've made two of your last 17) and my only concern is that if he continues to slump that confidence continues to fall. As long as he makes up for it defensively it shouldn't be an issue, but who knows with an 18-19-year-old.