Jamie's level of concern pertaining to Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Between football and basketball, who was a bad hire?

Chizik, Rhoads and McDermott were bad hires.

Hoiberg was a home run.

Its still somewhat early in Campbell and Prohms respective tenures but Campbell is trending towards a good hire and Prohm is headed the other direction.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Chizik, Rhoads and McDermott were bad hires.

Hoiberg was a home run.

Its still somewhat early in Campbell and Prohms respective tenures but Campbell is trending towards a good hire and Prohm is headed the other direction.

I will argue until I'm blue in the face on Chizik and McD. They were both two of the hottest names out there and JP made the right moves to get them. If JP was guilty of anything, it would have been holding on to CPR and McD a year too long. FWIW I've made the same argument in favor of Iowa/Lickliter. CMC has been an absolute homer run for Iowa State as well. JP has one bad hire and it's CPR.

• Disagree
Reactions: iahawks

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
I will argue until I'm blue in the face on Chizik and McD. They were both two of the hottest names out there and JP made the right moves to get them. If JP was guilty of anything, it would have been holding on to CPR and McD a year too long. FWIW I've made the same argument in favor of Iowa/Lickliter. CMC has been an absolute homer run for Iowa State as well. JP has one bad hire and it's CPR.

Agree to disagree on McDermott, Chizik and Lickliter.

No comment on Prohm?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Chizik was the huge name. He improved the talent, especially defensively. Problem he had was he brought in too many buddies, he learned that issue and then went to AU and won a title. It was a huge get at the time. It raised the profile of ISU FB at the time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Agree to disagree on McDermott, Chizik and Lickliter.

No comment on Prohm?

I have no issues with Prohm. Even if this year is a step back he will have a chance to right the ship next year otherwise things could get interesting.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Chizik was the huge name. He improved the talent, especially defensively. Problem he had was he brought in too many buddies, he learned that issue and then went to AU and won a title. It was a huge get at the time. It raised the profile of ISU FB at the time.

If the Chiz stays for year 3 he would have made a bowl game...

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
I have no issues with Prohm. Even if this year is a step back he will have a chance to right the ship next year otherwise things could get interesting.

The roster construction seems like an issue.

It would be extremely hard to right the ship if Haliburton leaves, in my opinion, which seems likely.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I agree that they may have been the right hire, but you also can't say they were good hires because they didn't work out at all for ISU and that is what you want to do. KF wasn't the popular choice, but it has proven to be a great hire. Lickliter seemed like a nice get, but it was an awful hire.

Pollard's average on coaching hires is not very good and most ADs don't get that many chances to keep hiring and firing coaches before they themselves get the ax.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

If your criteria for a good coaching hire is just hiring what coach was "hot" at the time, then Hoiberg, Rhoads and Prohm were all bad hires.

The reality is Rhoads, McD, Chiz were all terrible hires. Hoiberg was a home run hire (even those on paper he was the absolute worst hire) and the jury is out on CMC and Prohm.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Every time i see this thread I think of that Texas B dude on twitter that only tweets at ISU writers and Official accounts solely asking about Jamie Pollard.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If your criteria for a good coaching hire is just hiring what coach was "hot" at the time, then Hoiberg, Rhoads and Prohm were all bad hires.

The reality is Rhoads, McD, Chiz were all terrible hires. Hoiberg was a home run hire (even those on paper he was the absolute worst hire) and the jury is out on CMC and Prohm.
ok...

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
OMG, please tell me that letter Jamie sent out is fake. Why on God's Green Earth would you send out a letter like that?

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Meh, just another rah rah speech to fire up the fanbase that clearly needs a pep talk. Seems like the Bear has went into hibernation for the winter.

Does he do these a lot? I mean I know he fired out that one letter to attack a season ticket holder because he dare defy the emperor (emperor Jamie that is). Yet it seems very thinned skinned to even bring these things up or acknowledge them at all. You calm the fan base with winning, not by lecturing them on how to act, and what they should feel.

P

PeacefulRival

I am going to claim complete ignorance on this if I am wrong, but wasn't CFH sort of gift wrapped for pollard? Was there a Gary Thompson that basically delivered Fred to pollard?

Truly not looking to troll. Any insight on the CFH would be helpful as i currently believe pollard gets way too much credit for the hire and not enough blame for losing him.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I am going to claim complete ignorance on this if I am wrong, but wasn't CFH sort of gift wrapped for pollard? Was there a Gary Thompson that basically delivered Fred to pollard?

Truly not looking to troll. Any insight on the CFH would be helpful as i currently believe pollard gets way too much credit for the hire and not enough blame for losing him.

Yep Pollard was gift wrapped a coach to a P5 program with no experience whatsoever. Fought a lot of programs to get him and didn't stick his neck on the line at all

P

PeacefulRival

Yep Pollard was gift wrapped a coach to a P5 program with no experience whatsoever. Fought a lot of programs to get him and didn't stick his neck on the line at all

Who were pollard's other candidates at the time? Was it sticking his neck out if nobody was interested? Was it sticking his neck out to hire the Mayor of Ames?

Not sure why you take posts so personally. Back to Ignore Member for you.