Looking for ratings/reviews on YouTube TV

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I’ve had YTTV for about 18 months, after having Sling for a little while. YT is much better. Its definitely worth the $ you save, even with the slight live sports lag and the inconvenience factor. I can stream on 2 devices at the same time without any buffering on 50mbps. I could probably do 3 devices just fine, but have never tried.

we use to stream 2 streams on 12mbps with no issues. The other devices would get slow once in a while like our phones on WiFi but the Hulu live/YTTV never had many issues. Now we have 75/75 fiber and that has been awesome.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
YTTV for sports is great. I don't think there has been anything I've missed since leaving cable. Have missed a few other channels but not enough to want cable back. (weather channel being the main one)
Also started to use an outdoor antenna and kind of amazing how much we watch OTA. Really if it wasn't for sports, I might just go OTA.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Got rid of sling and went to YTTV and love it. All the sports channels and DVR. No problems buffering on Mediacom.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Been testing YTTV with plans to ditch DTV later this month. So far I love most everything about it. My only complaint is that the resolution with live sports appears slightly degraded (720 instead of 1080?). It's not glitchy and I've never experienced any buffering, but it definitely appears to be a lower resolution compared to DTV or even other programming on YTTV.

I'd be curious if others have noticed this. I currently have the fastest internet I can get from Century Link.

• Informative
Reactions: arobb

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I switched from DirecTV to YTTV a couple months ago and don't plan on going back. Two things of note:

1. It doesn't have the NFL channel. Didn't notice it until the end of the season when the NFL started showing games on it. Not a deal breaker for me, just annoying.

2. No one on this thread has mentioned this yet. If you have a data cap on your internet plan you could end up with a very large bill before you know it. Know your plan and your options for internet before you start streaming everything all day long.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
OP what are you waiting for? Just get it already :)

Best things about YTTV that may or may not have already been mentioned

1. Available on the App and online... can stream anywhere anytime.
2. Unlimited DVR storage and most things will record automatically (like all movies and live sports)
3. Can pause membership at any point and resume within 6 months like nothing happened. I did this after college bball season last year and resumed in August when football started up.
4. Channel lineup is great

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally had PS Vue but switched to YTTV. Love it. The app works really well on mobile devices as well, which is nice when I want to watch games if I'm traveling or not at home at the time.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I switched from DirecTV to YTTV a couple months ago and don't plan on going back. Two things of note:

1. It doesn't have the NFL channel. Didn't notice it until the end of the season when the NFL started showing games on it. Not a deal breaker for me, just annoying.

2. No one on this thread has mentioned this yet. If you have a data cap on your internet plan you could end up with a very large bill before you know it. Know your plan and your options for internet before you start streaming everything all day long.

I have the 1000 GB cap with Mediacom, and that has been more than enough during football season.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
We switched from DTV and it's way, way better. It takes about a month to get used to the interface but once you do it's a breeze. More channels, included DVR, etc. We have a smart TV that came with 3 or 4 free streaming services, so the only downside is when I turn on the TV it takes a few clicks to get into YTTV, it doesn't just turn on like regular TV.

You can share up to 5 accounts, so if your parents or siblings want to share you can split the cost or piggyback off of one of their accounts.

Only 3 concurrent streams going, that is the only downside for us so far.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
YTTV for sports is great. I don't think there has been anything I've missed since leaving cable. Have missed a few other channels but not enough to want cable back. (weather channel being the main one)
Also started to use an outdoor antenna and kind of amazing how much we watch OTA. Really if it wasn't for sports, I might just go OTA.

I miss comedy central. That is all.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Only thing I don't like about YTTV is the DVR doesn't seem to show you which episodes from a series on your dvr that you've already watched.

So if you let the dvr pile up for a while, sometimes we'll have to watch a minute of an episode or two to remember where we were at.

No complaints otherwise.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Switched several months ago. Love it.
i have 9 roku/roku TV's in my house and the only thing I run into is the 3 concurrent limit. especially when you add on the use of ipad,phone etc.
The service is great and easy to understand.
The only other thing that was kind of a big deal for our house was YouTube TV doesn't have the hallmark channels. So I just picked Philo for 2 months and dropped it today.

Mediacom 200Mb service

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: arobb

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I had been using PS Vue for streaming tv, but with Playstation getting out of the streaming game, I had to go elsewhere for a streaming option.

Switched to YouTube TV and loved it from day one. It was cheaper than PS Vue and the navigation is so much easier.

I had DirecTV before switching to streaming, paying $200 or so a month for it. Pay a fourth of that for YouTube TV.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It does have enough of a delay that if you don't want how sporting events end spoiled, you'll want to stay of Twitter during games if you go with YTTV.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Ryan4069 and arobb

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Another happy YTTV subscriber from Vue. My delay is less with YTTV vs Vue. Nice to have CBS up here unlike Vue.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I’ve had Sling, Vue, and YouTube.

Had sling because it was first.

Switched to Vue because it had FS1 where Sling didn’t at the time.

Switched to YTTV because they were the first to offer local channels via streaming in my area.

YTTV is my best experience so far. Really like it with my ChromeCast. I am annoyed, however, how they keep adding more channels that I don’t want and upping the price. My streaming adventure started at $20/month with Sling and now I’m up to $50/month with You Tube. With my football teams being done, and ISU basketball what it is, I’m thinking of cancelling till next September again.