Looking for ratings/reviews on YouTube TV

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We are thinking about ditching DirecTV and switching to YouTube TV. Wondering if any CFers have experience with YouTube, and what teir input might be.

TIA

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
From a technical standpoint it is 100000% better than Sling.

I haven't used Sling for almost two years but at the time I switched it would barely work for me on a roku device or browser on a new mac. I have never had any tech issue with youtubetv.

The downside is depending on where you live it's not much cheaper than cable if it is at all and Sling had cheaper options (which became worthless to me because I couldn't stream reliably).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
YTTV was the best I tried. The only thing I didn't love was a small annoyance more than anything. The DVR piece wouldn't let you get rid of shows you already watched, which I wasn't use to with Tivo. In the end, cable was cheaper for me so I didn't go the YTTV route.

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I love it... Honestly not even considering price, I like the interface and dvr more than mediacom too.. Not going to lie I do still get nervous watching live sports with mediacom internet, but so far for one year we haven't had any big problems.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I love it... Honestly not even considering price, I like the interface and dvr more than mediacom too.. Not going to lie I do still get nervous watching live sports with mediacom internet, but so far for one year we haven't had any big problems.

Yeah, it works so well that for families who are more device users than TV/couch centered it might be the better choice even if it's slightly more expensive than cable.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
What internet speeds are you guys running it on? Any issues with lag, timing out, dropped connections, etc.? I'm thinking of making the switch also.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Is YTTV better than Hulu? We ditched mediacom for Hulu several months ago and love it. However, we still have mediacom internet for the time being.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
One thing I like about it is that you can suspend service for a period of time very easily if you choose to. I'm new to YTTV so I haven't actually done that yet, and I'm guessing it would delete stuff on your DVR...but during a slower TV time of year like summer (I'm not a baseball guy) you could save some money and just switch to Netflix-only for a couple months and then hop right back into YTTV. It's really easy to do online, no phone calls or hassles.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
We switched from DTV and it's way, way better. It takes about a month to get used to the interface but once you do it's a breeze. More channels, included DVR, etc. We have a smart TV that came with 3 or 4 free streaming services, so the only downside is when I turn on the TV it takes a few clicks to get into YTTV, it doesn't just turn on like regular TV.

You can share up to 5 accounts, so if your parents or siblings want to share you can split the cost or piggyback off of one of their accounts.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I’ve had YTTV for about 18 months, after having Sling for a little while. YT is much better. Its definitely worth the $ you save, even with the slight live sports lag and the inconvenience factor. I can stream on 2 devices at the same time without any buffering on 50mbps. I could probably do 3 devices just fine, but have never tried.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfanatic and arobb

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
If you don’t need sports or locals Philo is fantastic. We actually family share a YTTV script and use philo to supplement. Costs us $45, $25 for yttv and $20 for Philo.