Southern Scuffle January 1st and 2nd 2020

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I totally get why we left guys back it does make sense. But, I think we could have won the tournament as a whole sending everyone, which is kinda a big deal as we woulda beat Okie State amongst others, just would have been nice to see a great showing by our team. I can wait till March though!

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
I totally get why we left guys back it does make sense. But, I think we could have won the tournament as a whole sending everyone, which is kinda a big deal as we woulda beat Okie State amongst others, just would have been nice to see a great showing by our team. I can wait till March though!
I would rather win Big 12's and hopefully we are peaking and healthy then. I agree with some, why not just go to the Midlands instead.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and crablegs

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I just watched Real Woods vs Gfeller in the Scuffle final at 141. Real won 6-1 with 5:12 minutes of riding time.

Jake Torkelson

Nov 15, 2019
I would rather win Big 12's and hopefully we are peaking and healthy then. I agree with some, why not just go to the Midlands instead.
First sentence is key. When March comes rankings are meaningless. Tournaments you attend...out the window. Individual match outcomes are what count come seeding time. Have your best/healthiest roster for Big 12’s is HUGE! To quote legendary Raiders owner Al Davis, “ Just win baby!”

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
First sentence is key. When March comes rankings are meaningless. Tournaments you attend...out the window. Individual match outcomes are what count come seeding time. Have your best/healthiest roster for Big 12’s is HUGE! To quote legendary Raiders owner Al Davis, “ Just win baby!”
Although I too would rather win the Big12s than the Scuffle, I wholeheartedly disagree with the rest of this post. Match results drive rankings and seedings. You're not going to get a higher seed for a match not wrestled. I would also have rather had more exposure to the OKSt, NoCo, NDSU etc. guys than less prior to the B12s. Finally, tournament wrestling is a different beast than duals and more experience in that environment the better.

Of course, this is all my opinion and since Dresser disagrees, I guess I'm wrong! LOL

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So we had a very tough CKLV and 3 duals on Jan 11th, and a dual 2 days prior on Jan 9th, followed by duals on 17th and 19th. That is a lot of weigh ins that can be physically and mentally draining. So to add the Scuffle (another multi match and multi day weigh in) could lead to big problems mentally & physically come tourney time.

Only question I would have is why did we schedule the Scuffle and the backside of the schedule the way we did?

Jake Torkelson

Nov 15, 2019
Although I too would rather win the Big12s than the Scuffle, I wholeheartedly disagree with the rest of this post. Match results drive rankings and seedings. You're not going to get a higher seed for a match not wrestled. I would also have rather had more exposure to the OKSt, NoCo, NDSU etc. guys than less prior to the B12s. Finally, tournament wrestling is a different beast than duals and more experience in that environment the better.

Of course, this is all my opinion and since Dresser disagrees, I guess I'm wrong! LOL
I guess what I really should have said is, once the Big 12’s and/or Nationals starts none of it matters. Sure you want a high seed, but bottom line is whoever’s in front of you (doesn’t matter rank/seed) winning is essential. I 100% agree with what drives rankings & seeds, but IMO come postseason everyone’s record is 0-0. Sure there’s favorites, but upsets happen all the time that rankers & seeding criteria can’t predict.