Steve Prohm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Give me --

1/2 of Horton-Tucker or Wigginton back

1/2 of Griffin or Lewis playing up to their 4* ratings

...and we go from a disappointment to really salty.

That is the thing about basketball as compared to football. In basketball, one or two guys (either getting them or missing on them) can change everything. In football, it really is about building a program with depth and consistency. The need for competition in practice and depth for injury is so much higher in football than it is in basketball.

This is where I was at with my earlier post about being a Prohm guy, but I'm starting to allow too many excuses for why things are going wrong. I hope it turns around, and I actually think it can.

The horribly unbalanced class size from when he inherited the roster, then having his solid recruits being able to capitalize on themselves after only 1 or 2 seasons has put us in a hole. A second year THT cures a lot of issues with this year's roster.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
citation_needed.png

Do you have any evidence for this?

Nope. Was forwarded a text with this information the day after the deal was announced. I figured if it was legit someone on CF would have heard also and posted it. Never saw anything but now seemed liked a good time to share. It would explain why Prohm got a deal right after getting knocked out of the NCAA tourney and why Hoiberg was taking so long to sign with Nebraska.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Nope. Was forwarded a text with this information the day after the deal was announced. I figured if it was legit someone on CF would have heard also and posted it. Never saw anything but now seemed liked a good time to share. It would explain why Prohm got a deal right after getting knocked out of the NCAA tourney and why Hoiberg was taking so long to sign with Nebraska.
It sounds like someone with an agenda against Pollard and upset Fred went to one of our regional rivals and upset we just got knocked out of the NCAA tourney in our first game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

You answered your own question with the bold statement.

It is not legit.

Prohm got an extension because he bounced back from the bad year the year before, had rebuilt the roster, and just won the Big 12 tournament. He was also 2/3 against Kansas and won in Manhattan and Lubbock last year.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
We'll see how this team bounces back from this loss. I think the Big 12 being down could mean a struggling team like us could sneak it's way back into the tournament. We obviously can't play like we just did and will have to play much better than we have so far, but it's not impossible. I also think making it far in the NIT wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for this team. Not up to standard that is Iowa State basketball but at least getting some post season experience to guys that will desperately need it later on.

You people still talking about the tournament are insane. The conference being down is going to make it even harder to get in the tournament. It's going to take an 11-7 conference season plus 1 in KC or Auburn. If that happened, the team would still only be around 19-12 with a 300+ loss hanging around it's neck. That's a 10 seed at best.

Do you honestly believe this team can win 12 more games? They've only won 7 in the easiest part of the schedule.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You people still talking about the tournament are insane. The conference being down is going to make it even harder to get in the tournament. It's going to take an 11-7 conference season plus 1 in KC or Auburn. If that happened, the team would still only be around 19-11 with a 300+ loss hanging around it's neck. That's a 10 seed at best.

Do you honestly believe this team can win 12 more games? They've only won 7 in the easiest part of the schedule.
Listen lol there is a 0% chance we even come close to the tournament this year if we play like we have two out of the last three games. I'm saying if something would change? Who knows what could happen. And for your point of being a 10 seed at best.. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and HawkJRP

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
You people still talking about the tournament are insane. The conference being down is going to make it even harder to get in the tournament. It's going to take an 11-7 conference season plus 1 in KC or Auburn. If that happened, the team would still only be around 19-11 with a 300+ loss hanging around it's neck. That's a 10 seed at best.

Yeah, Jim Mora called. He says you are dead on with that comment.

0*qXxr5Sq7hopPlUMQ.png

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Listen lol there is a 0% chance we even come close to the tournament this year if we play like we have two out of the last three games. I'm saying if something would change? Who knows what could happen. And for your point of being a 10 seed at best.. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Lol

There is a 0% chance we come close to the tourney if we play much better than we did 2 of the last 3 games.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Went trolling down the barttorvik ranking of the to this point highly ranked non P6 teams and their coaching situation:
  • #5 Dayton - Anthony Grant
    • Dayton alum. Third season, previously 'bama and VCU. 1 tournament. Would be an interesting move, not happening
  • #7 San Diego State - Brian Dutcher
    • Steve Fischer's appointed successor. Third season, no other HC experience. 1 tournament. Old as balls, not happening
  • #9 Gonzaga - lol
  • #14 BYU - Mark Pope
    • First season. Dude's Mormon, not happening
  • #19 Wichita State - Gregg Marshal
    • Used the opening last time to get a raise. In the American now. I'd rather not have lady glasses v2
  • #26 Memphis - Maybe Little Penny is looking for a shot?
  • #38 Saint Mary's - Randy Bennett
    • Dude's been there since 'nam (fine, 19th season). Not happening
  • #42 VCU - Mike Rhoades
    • Third season. Previously 3 seasons at Rice. 1 Tournament. Think he's related to Saul?
  • #44 Temple - Aaron McKie
    • First Season. Fran Dunphy's chosen successor. Not happening
  • #45 Liberty - Ritchie McKay
    • Seventh Season. No other HC experience. 1 tournament
  • #47 Houston - Kelvin Sampson
    • 6th season. Lots of schools. 15 tournaments. Lots of texts. 64 years old. I sincerely doubt Pollard would hire him. I'd consider it.
  • #50 UNI - lol
  • #51 Utah State - Craig Smith
    • Second season. Previously 4 seasons at South Dakota (USD). 1 Tournament. Midwest ties I guess?
  • #52 Rhode Island - David Cox
    • Second season. No other HC experience.
  • #55 Cincinatti - John Brannen
    • First season. Replaced Cronin. 4 years at Northern Kentucky. 2 tournaments. I'm intrigued
I started out listing Big East coaches as well, but hit #25 Creighton and died a lot on the inside. Mike Anderson is at #56 St John's now. He'd bring an exciting brand of basketball I guess.

Not a lot going on there. Anthony Grant would be a good one to me but realllly doubt he's moving off his alma mater after seemingly getting them going. Maybe he wants another shot at a power conference.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There is a 0% chance we come close to the tourney if we play much better than we did 2 of the last 3 games.
I also thought there was a 0% chance we'd go to the Big 12 tournament last year and win 3 games in three days against the likes of Baylor, K-State, and then Kansas but then we did. Lol a

Like I said, I'm not expecting us to completely turn it around and make the tournament but I'm not going to sit here as a fan and fold over this early in the season when there is still 2/3 of the year left. If you don't want the team to give up playing then why would I give up hope?

Reactions: NWICY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Went trolling down the barttorvik ranking of the to this point highly ranked non P6 teams and their coaching situation:
    • Dayton alum. Third season, previously 'bama and VCU. 1 tournament. Would be an interesting move, not happening
    • Steve Fischer's appointed successor. Third season, no other HC experience. 1 tournament. Old as balls, not happening
  • #9 Gonzaga - lol
  • #14 BYU - Mark Pope
    • Used the opening last time to get a raise. In the American now. I'd rather not have lady glasses v2
  • #42 VCU - Mike Rhoades
    • Third season. Previously 3 seasons at Rice. 1 Tournament. Think he's related to Saul?
    • 6th season. Lots of schools. 15 tournaments. Lots of texts. 64 years old. I sincerely doubt Pollard would hire him. I'd consider it.
  • #50 UNI - lol
    • Second season. Previously 4 seasons at South Dakota (USD). 1 Tournament. Midwest ties I guess?
    • First season. Replaced Cronin. 4 years at Northern Kentucky. 2 tournaments. I'm intrigued
I started out listing Big East coaches as well, but hit #25 Creighton and died a lot on the inside. Mike Anderson is at #56 St John's now. He'd bring an exciting brand of basketball I guess.

Not a lot going on there. Anthony Grant would be a good one to me but realllly doubt he's moving off his alma mater after seemingly getting them going. Maybe he wants another shot at a power conference.

Penny has his jersey retired for the Tigers.

He ain't leaving or, if he is, it is for a ****load of Blue Blood or NBA money.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
  • #9 Gonzaga - lol
  • #14 BYU - Mark Pope
  • #42 VCU - Mike Rhoades
  • #50 UNI - lol

Thanks for researching. Kelvin Sampson jumps out as the guy that could make sh*t happen here without question, that also could potentially be interested as a former Big12 guy. As you say though, doubt Jamie would go for it.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
  • #9 Gonzaga - lol
  • #14 BYU - Mark Pope
  • #42 VCU - Mike Rhoades
  • #50 UNI - lol

So in other words, bring McDermott back. You know, that's not such a.....oh, never mind.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Outside of TJ, who is a realistic option to replace Prohm?

I don't think he gets fired anytime soon unfortunately. But the question would be if we wait until the end of next bball season to keep this class, would fred come back? Otherwise we get another non-ISU guy.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Thanks for researching. Kelvin Sampson jumps out as the guy that could make sh*t happen here without question, that also could potentially be interested as a former Big12 guy. As you say though, doubt Jamie would go for it.
He’s 64 and has a history, why do that?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I don't think he gets fired anytime soon unfortunately. But the question would be if we wait until the end of next bball season to keep this class, would fred come back? Otherwise we get another non-ISU guy.
More importantly, if we wait until the end of next bball season will you come back? The people not buying your tickets want to know