Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
To say we have no idea what next year’s team will look like (how they’ll do) is false. If you have no idea, that’s a you thing, and I’ll bet you $100k we don’t win the Big 12.

That is a very bad leap you made to CMC in December 2021, the two aren’t very analogous. but other than your bad rational, I wouldn’t hesitate to discuss it. If CMC loses to a FAMU type at home, misses a bowl, gets crushed again by Iowa, and the roster looks for a repeat in 2021, there will appropriately be talk.

We were this close --

5d6b0c989a81c.image.jpg

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Haliburton is an absolute stud. He's the only complete player on this roster.

Bolton and Nixon are useful in certain situations but limited/flawed in essentially opposite ways. The good news is, Nixon's limitations on offense but strength of defense covers up for the opposite of Bolton (and vice versa). You can work with that.

Jacobson, Young, and Conditt are all effective big men with different emphases, though Conditt is emerging as clearly the best of the three of them.

The other guys... sorry, but they are not Big 12 players right now.

So that equals six guys... That is not enough? What is the problem?

The problem emerges --

All the guys above are either a 1, 2, or a 5.

The guys we have playing 3 and 4 are not suited for that in the modern game, and they either are not producing much on offense playing those positions and/or they are getting hosed on defense while doing it. We are trying to shoehorn the six above into awkward lineups and/or not playing a style that would really bring out the strengths that we have.

This is why I say there is talent there, but nothing fits together. Having Horton-Tucker back, in particular, would have changed everything...

Haliburton
Bolton
Nixon
Horton-Tucker
Conditt

...that lineup is not winning the Big 12, but I would take its chances to make it to 9-9 in the conference and the NCAA tournament way more than our current.
The fill-in here would've been one of Griffin or Lewis to develop into that role, but neither of them have at the pace we needed them to. Lewis has been okay the last few games, but that's effectively been in the 2-role as well.

The other thing that bothered me Tuesday is that it's obvious we only have one 1-guy: Haliburton. The others all struggled horribly to run the ball without him. It's pretty harsh to not have a serviceable backup PG at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I think its stupid to discuss it over a full season away when we have no idea what next year's team will look like.

Should we be discussing Campbell's job security and coaching candidates for football right now, with the assumption that we'll miss bowl games the next two years?

Agree, I think the dye is cast here for Prohm but they aren't going to play worse than they did the last couple times out. Halliburton will get you a few wins by himself no matter how bad Prohm manages this, my guess Prohm gets around 5-7 wins in conf and another year. Still going to be hard to win in Hilton if Halliburton plays for 6 or 7 teams in the league. Even McDermott teams, while they lost all the time, were for the most part competitive at home.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Honestly, even that's not as bad as FAMU. UNI is at least a respected FCS program. It's bad, but not quite as bad.

I see your point, but I would argue that the variations in outcome for an individual football game are lower than that for basketball and the depths of the talent differential between a P5 school and even a respectable FCS program are incredibly wide. Even a good QB cannot affect the game as much as one guy on fire from three can in basketball. Football is the ultimate team sports, so the depth of your roster matters more.

I guess it would have been more like losing to Drake --

upload_2020-1-2_12-40-51.png

...which we almost did.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not questioning the part about defense in the KU game or keeping the score at 50. I have no recollection of that and thus no reason to doubt it.

But the Fizer on the table thing was from Iowa that December. This story references it. (Sorry, I just found that or I would have linked it earlier.)

Larry definitely didn't play the popularity contest.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I see your point, but I would argue that the variations in outcome for an individual football game are lower than that for basketball and the depths of the talent differential between a P5 school and even a respectable FCS program are incredibly wide.

View attachment 69530

...which we almost did.
Now that is a better comparison, but even that one at least had the context is utterly-poor field and weather conditions. Those don't affect basketball games. But, again, those are still must-win games, as was FAMU. The difference is that they did win the football ones.

My biggest fear is that our players get stuck dwelling on it and let it takeover and kill the entire season for them. That's one problem that winning those games creates less of, no matter how you win.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I see your point, but I would argue that the variations in outcome for an individual football game are lower than that for basketball and the depths of the talent differential between a P5 school and even a respectable FCS program are incredibly wide. Even a good QB cannot effect the game as much as one guy on fire from three can in basketball. Football is the ultimate team sports, so the depth of your roster matters more.

View attachment 69530

...which we almost did.

The kicker there is gold. Mortifying, but gold. I was just about to respond with that until I scrolled down. Well done.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
To say we have no idea what next year’s team will look like (how they’ll do) is false. If you have no idea, that’s a you thing, and I’ll bet you $100k we don’t win the Big 12.

That is a very bad leap you made to CMC in December 2021, the two aren’t very analogous. but other than your bad rational, I wouldn’t hesitate to discuss it. If CMC loses to a FAMU type at home, misses a bowl, gets crushed again by Iowa, and the roster looks for a repeat in 2021, there will appropriately be talk.
So you're criteria is we have to win the Big 12, or he should be fired? I agree we wont win the Big 12. We could be a tournament team though. We also might not. We don't know. We aren't even half way through this year, and you seem to know exactly how we will finish NEXT season?

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Now that is a better comparison, but even that one at least had the context is utterly-poor field and weather conditions. Those don't affect basketball games. But, again, those are still must-win games, as was FAMU. The difference is that they did win the football ones.

My biggest fear is that our players get stuck dwelling on it and let it takeover and kill the entire season for them. That's one problem that winning those games creates less of, no matter how you win.

One play goes differently at the end of the UNI game this year or the Drake game last year, and we lose those games. We were on a razor's edge.

One or two possessions goes better for us against FAMU and we win that game. We are "concerned," sure, but we probably put it out of mind and forget about it, a W is a W, just like we did with UNI and Drake with the football team.

My point is about how much everything swings on small things --

What do we think of Campbell now if he had a L to Drake and UNI on his record, if he went 7-6 last year (L to Drake) and 6-7 this year (L to UNI)?

Probably good, but not nearly as good as most of us do right now, and I already see the farmers coming for his assistants with their pitchforks on this forum. Who says they are not going after the man in charge if we lost to FCS schools?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So you're criteria is we have to win the Big 12, or he should be fired? I agree we wont win the Big 12. We could be a tournament team though. We also might not. We don't know. We aren't even half way through this year, and you seem to know exactly how we will finish NEXT season?
Coach Prohm and his teams the next two years are not going to get judged completely based off of wins/losses and the overall record. It will be about the product they're putting on the floor. Are they competing every night? Are they developing continuity together? Are they representing Iowa State in a good way on and off the court? Are they playing for themselves or are they playing for the team / school / fans? If they do that, the results will likely look good, or at least respectable. Those types of teams usually find their way into the NCAA tournament.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I posted what i heard and that was that he decommitted. if I’m wrong I’ll own it and be happy about it. Kids a stud. That said, there’s a lot of time between now and fall 2020. Let’s not put his name in sharpie just yet.

No one has. This is an on going situation that all parties know about. If he doesn't come, it won't be a surprise and it's well justified. It's not a McNeill situation.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and CyPunch

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I posted what i heard and that was that he decommitted. if I’m wrong I’ll own it and be happy about it. Kids a stud. That said, there’s a lot of time between now and fall 2020. Let’s not put his name in sharpie just yet.

And decommitted isn't the right word for it. He's not committed to Iowa State, he's signed with Iowa State. It is up to Iowa State to let him out of his LOI. If I were Iowa State, I'd tell him that we'll let you out in the spring if things aren't better with your mom. No need to rush into anything. But I'm sure Iowa State is preparing as if he is not going to be around.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He said that after the fact. There may have even been some truth to it, but

Gregg Marshall was a serious candidate - he interviewed - and was both expensive and a big name. I don’t think Hornacek was ever interested; that was a weird one. As I see it, the biggest limitation at that time was that we were looking for a coach in June instead of March.

I am a little curious about which big dollar coaches anyone thinks we could get, though, regardless of whether we fire a coach one year after making the tournament.

If Gregg Marshall really did interview and money was the only hold up - that really, really, really sucks. Marshall would have been the home run of all home run hires.

This is also why firing Prohm isn't the greatest solution (right now) because if we aren't going to pay up for someone proven and established, we are going to be playing the lottery with the next coach as well. And Pollard has repeatedly demonstrated that he isn't opening the checkbook for a huge name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron