Possible Decommitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Except it's not one bad season. It's two bad seasons and consistent underachieving across 5 years.

And there are plenty of great coaches who would jump at the opportunity to coach in Hilton.
Agree. There are coaches that are better than Prohm that would coach here, and it’s not limited to current P6 coaches. JP gets paid well to have a list of those guys. It would seem that the most plausible outcome is that we miss the tournament this year and next, which would justify a change.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Such as?

If that was the case, we would've had a better pool to pick from when we hired Prohm in the first place, when they were being offered the keys to a ready-made, successful roster to take over. Now what we're marketing is a complete rebuild after firing a coach with, on paper, a relatively successful track, and subsequently losing the roster and recruiting class by sending him off.

We did have a better pool.

And Steve Forbes, Brian Dutcher, Gregg Marshall, Mike Rhoades, etc. would all be upgrades. None of those names matter however, because JP isn't gonna do **** until after 2021 and he might even give Prohm 2022.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Brian Dutcher is an interesting name I hadn't thought of. A lot of midwest ties and very seasoned in the business.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So what happens if Foster ends up like Marcus Fizer?

*No, not a comparison talent wise, but his career was sub .500 team, coach change (iirc he at first didn't like Eustachy) to a .500 record, to the best team in school history.
Fizer was certainly won over by the end of that .500 season. Apparently while stressing defense for the last game of the season, Eustachy told the team that they could hold Kansas to 50 or fewer points and if they did they would win. Right after ISU won 52-50 Fizer jumped up on the scorer's table with a hand made sign that proclaimed Eustachy as the best coach.

Edit: Apparently the sign was the next year after the Iowa game. After the game he did talk about the Cyclones being able to hold them to 50 or less and that being a winning score and that was exactly what happened.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JBone84 and Snydes

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Except it's not one bad season. It's two bad seasons and consistent underachieving across 5 years.

And there are plenty of great coaches who would jump at the opportunity to coach in Hilton.
I agree its two bad seasons, not back-to-back though. That matters, as he has shown he can rebuild a team. I also don't agree that he's consistently underachieved every year. His problem this season has more to do with roster management than anything in my opinion. Part of it was Prohm and the coaches' fault, part of it was bad luck/the nature of the business. They had 3 key players leave early. Lard is on the coaches, as they knew the risks when they signed him. He was also talented enough to be worth the risk, but he left early and they are paying for it now. Wigginton is partly on them, as they knew he wanted to leave for the NBA the first chance he got. It's also partly bad luck because he clearly wasn't ready and should have come back for at least another year (I don't think he was ever going to have the size/skill set for the NBA). Horton-Tucker leaving after 1 year was a really bad break and I don't think Prohm can be blamed for that. No one saw that coming when they recruited him and it really through a wrench into this season's team. This team is really lacking a play-making guard to help Haliburton. Either Wigginton or Horton-Tucker would have helped tremendously, and both should probably still be on the roster.

West Virginia finished in 10th place last year. Should they have fired Bob Huggins? Oklahoma finished 9th two years in a row and 7th last year, should they have fired Lon Kruger?

Prohm might need to go, but I don't think right now, or after this season is the right time.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Agree. There are coaches that are better than Prohm that would coach here, and it’s not limited to current P6 coaches. JP gets paid well to have a list of those guys. It would seem that the most plausible outcome is that we miss the tournament this year and next, which would justify a change.
Which is why we should about it AFTER or at least during NEXT season. We're over a year away from a coaching change even being a possibility.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Such as?

If that was the case, we would've had a better pool to pick from when we hired Prohm in the first place, when they were being offered the keys to a ready-made, successful roster to take over. Now what we're marketing is a complete rebuild after firing a coach with, on paper, a relatively successful track, and subsequently losing the roster and recruiting class by sending him off.

The university went cheap. Everyone in the 'pool' was in the pool for that very reason. Everyone knew from the onset that ISU was going for the cheap option.

The pool wasn't all that great for the serious candidates for that very reason. That doesn't mean bigger names weren't interested. The treatment of Hornacek is evidence; whether or not he was seriously interested didn't matter, his price tag was too high.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Fizer was certainly won over by the end of that .500 season. Apparently while stressing defense for the last game of the season, Eustachy told the team that they could hold Kansas to 50 or fewer points and if they did they would win. Right after ISU won 52-50 Fizer jumped up on the scorer's table with a hand made sign that proclaimed Eustachy as the best coach.

I remember Fizer jumping on the table after beating Iowa in the 99-00 season. Did he also do it during the Kansas game from the year prior?

Related, I stumbled on to the Wikipedia page on the 98-99 season and it's a mess.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The university went cheap. Everyone in the 'pool' was in the pool for that very reason. Everyone knew from the onset that ISU was going for the cheap option.

The pool wasn't all that great for the serious candidates for that very reason. That doesn't mean bigger names weren't interested. The treatment of Hornacek is evidence; whether or not he was seriously interested didn't matter, his price tag was too high.
The issue is that we don't know spending any more money would've given us better results, and from someone like Pollard's point of view, his own job security disappears faster if he spends a bunch of money on a splash that ends up failing anyway. That being said, if they were ever going to go for the splash hire, that was probably the time to do it. I don't think you can get away with it now when pushing a 0-100 rebuild. That coach is gonna need a long leash now, and that doesn't tend to match up with a high yearly salary.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree its two bad seasons, not back-to-back though. That matters, as he has shown he can rebuild a team. I also don't agree that he's consistently underachieved every year. His problem this season has more to do with roster management than anything in my opinion. Part of it was Prohm and the coaches' fault, part of it was bad luck/the nature of the business. They had 3 key players leave early. Lard is on the coaches, as they knew the risks when they signed him. He was also talented enough to be worth the risk, but he left early and they are paying for it now. Wigginton is partly on them, as they knew he wanted to leave for the NBA the first chance he got. It's also partly bad luck because he clearly wasn't ready and should have come back for at least another year (I don't think he was ever going to have the size/skill set for the NBA). Horton-Tucker leaving after 1 year was a really bad break and I don't think Prohm can be blamed for that. No one saw that coming when they recruited him and it really through a wrench into this season's team. This team is really lacking a play-making guard to help Haliburton. Either Wigginton or Horton-Tucker would have helped tremendously, and both should probably still be on the roster.

West Virginia finished in 10th place last year. Should they have fired Bob Huggins? Oklahoma finished 9th two years in a row and 7th last year, should they have fired Lon Kruger?

Prohm might need to go, but I don't think right now, or after this season in the time.
I completely agree that the early of departure from those guys hurt this team, however Wigginton and THT leaving early did not cause this current team to lose to one of the worst college basketball teams in the nation the other night. That's on the current players either not being prepared to play at all, and the coaching staff not getting the team ready to play. If the coaches believe they did all they could to get the team to prepare, then it's on them for having guys on a team that aren't prepared.

If we would've played like this against a quality opponent, we would've lost by 20+.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The issue is that we don't know spending any more money would've given us better results, and from someone like Pollard's point of view, his own job security disappears faster if he spends a bunch of money on a splash that ends up failing anyway. That being said, if they were ever going to go for the splash hire, that was probably the time to do it. I don't think you can get away with it now when pushing a 0-100 rebuild. That coach is gonna need a long leash now, and that doesn't tend to match up with a high yearly salary.
True, but the string of serious candidates was decided by the school, and that list of candidates showed that the university was not willing to pay for a big (or even medium sized) name. Therefore, there were no "big names" sans Hornacek ever seriously mentioned.

I agree 100% with you on that it was the proper time to bring in a heavy hitter. The program's state was at a perfect spot to bring in a big hire. The university made it clear that it wasn't going to happen.

At the time I was a bit disappointed they didn't go for a big name. The university gambled with a cheap hire and it appears they may lose the gamble.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
60 years old and has been on the west coast for 20 years. No thanks.

Yeah, the advanced age gave me pause when looking more into his background. I was intrigued by your Travis Steele suggestion as that was a name that came to mind for me as well. I couldn't immediately find what he's making per year at Xavier.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I remember Fizer jumping on the table after beating Iowa in the 99-00 season. Did he also do it during the Kansas game from the year prior?

Related, I stumbled on to the Wikipedia page on the 98-99 season and it's a mess.
I'm pretty sure it was the 98-99 season as it was the last game of the season and it was all about defense - hence the 52-50 score. I was also struck by Eustachy's prediction.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
True, but the string of serious candidates was decided by the school, and that list of candidates showed that the university was not willing to pay for a big (or even medium sized) name. Therefore, there were no "big names" sans Hornacek ever seriously mentioned.

I agree 100% with you on that it was the proper time to bring in a heavy hitter. The program's state was at a perfect spot to bring in a big hire. The university made it clear that it wasn't going to happen.

At the time I was a bit disappointed they didn't go for a big name. The university gambled with a cheap hire and it appears they may lose the gamble.

And the problem is if we have to get rid of Prohm, IMO we’ll need to go after the proven “splash” hire. If Prohm fails JP can’t go the budget mid-major hire twice in a row.

I think this will be part of his conversation with the donors should they start getting in his ear about SP. If they want to send him packing, they’ll need to put up the money to get the home run hire they want.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure it was the 98-99 season as it was the last game of the season and it was all about defense - hence the 52-50 score. I was also struck by Eustachy's prediction.

I'm not questioning the part about defense in the KU game or keeping the score at 50. I have no recollection of that and thus no reason to doubt it.

But the Fizer on the table thing was from Iowa that December. This story references it. (Sorry, I just found that or I would have linked it earlier.)

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Prohm might need to go, but I don't think right now, or after this season in the time.

That is an intelligent post, and I generally agree with you on the conclusion --

Prohm has this year and next. That is just Pollard's MO.

There would need to be two consecutive disasters before he would move on.

Heck, he gave Rhoads three years --

upload_2020-1-2_11-37-25.png

...before moving on, though football moves slower than basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not questioning the part about defense in the KU game or keeping the score at 50. I have no recollection of that and thus no reason to doubt it.

But the Fizer on the table thing was from Iowa that December. This story references it. (Sorry, I just found that or I would have linked it earlier.)
I stand corrected. Apparently I had it wrong.

• Friendly
Reactions: Trice

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
A couple of you have mentioned Gregg Marshall. He ain't coming to Ames. He's turned down a LOT of opportunities at similar levels or above. He likes his situation at Wichita and is one of the top 10 paid coaches in the NCAA.

I like Forbes a lot, who is another guy mentioned. But I also agree with most of these posts that Prohm isn't going anywhere soon outside of the "get out before being sent out" strategy- (McDermott, Alford).

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron