Brewer’s Career Over?

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Baylor QB Brewer left the Sugar Bowl after a nasty hit on sideline. Head bounced off turf. Had to get carted off to locker room. How many head injuries before he’s done? If he were in my family it would have to be a serious conversation. Too much life to live after football. Some things in life are more important.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
Baylor QB Brewer left the Sugar Bowl after a nasty hit on sideline. Head bounced off turf. Had to get carted off to locker room. How many head injuries before he’s done? If he were in my family it would have to be a serious conversation. Too much life to live after football. Some things in life are more important.
Man I hate to hear that. They had been talking about how he just came back from a concussion and wasn’t concerned about long term effects. Hope he is ok.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Needs someone on the staff that actually cares about his well being to have a conversation with him. Hopefully they’ll get one of those once Rhule leaves to coach the Giants.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

CycloneNomad

Oct 8, 2019
I was thinking about this while they tended to him on the field. Good looking kid. A lot of life ahead of him. Get the heck away from this! After the last concussion he spent a week in a dark room. And didn’t remember much about it. The look on his face tonight spoke volumes. Great career young man. But for your future step away from the game.....

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Didn't Mike Defee have to tell him he couldn’t play to get him off the field in the big 12 championship? Wouldn’t surprise me
Wow - you're right; the ref encouraged BU to have another look. From ESPN.com:

After that series, Brewer was briefly evaluated by the Baylor training staff, but he returned for another offensive series. After that possession, head referee Mike Defee asked coach Matt Rhule to have his training staff again examine Brewer.

"I didn't know anything," Rhule said after the game. "Mike Defee came over and said 'Coach, can you please look at Charlie? He just seems a little bit out of it.' Now, I had been talking to Charlie on the sidelines [before] and he didn't seem out of it to me, but I have a lot of respect for Mike Defee. And he said that, so I called over Matt [Kuehl, team trainer] and said 'Hey, they're saying on the field that they were concerned about Charlie.'"

During the second sideline examination, Rhule said the doctor "looked at him and ruled him out." Baylor then sent Brewer to the locker room for further evaluation.

At halftime, Rhule told ESPN's Holly Rowe they decided to keep Brewer out to "err on the side of caution."

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
With his concussion history how was he even cleared to play in this game . Austin Gomez who has concussion history got a minor concussion in practice in Nov and was just recently cleared to train but not compete.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Baylor’s offensive line is horrible at pass protection, has been for a while, so apparently the young man thinks he just has to suffer through it, for the sake of his teammates.

nonsense, at this point.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow - you're right; the ref encouraged BU to have another look. From ESPN.com:

After that series, Brewer was briefly evaluated by the Baylor training staff, but he returned for another offensive series. After that possession, head referee Mike Defee asked coach Matt Rhule to have his training staff again examine Brewer.

"I didn't know anything," Rhule said after the game. "Mike Defee came over and said 'Coach, can you please look at Charlie? He just seems a little bit out of it.' Now, I had been talking to Charlie on the sidelines [before] and he didn't seem out of it to me, but I have a lot of respect for Mike Defee. And he said that, so I called over Matt [Kuehl, team trainer] and said 'Hey, they're saying on the field that they were concerned about Charlie.'"

During the second sideline examination, Rhule said the doctor "looked at him and ruled him out." Baylor then sent Brewer to the locker room for further evaluation.

At halftime, Rhule told ESPN's Holly Rowe they decided to keep Brewer out to "err on the side of caution."

Not sure I believe what Rhule said. What head coach isn't paying attention to his star QB getting a concussion exam? Only one who wants his QB to play no matter what.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Didn't Steve Young and Troy Aikman retire early because of this? I think once you have the first......the others come much easier.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was thinking this as well when they were examining him. He is going into dangerous territory when he keeps coming back from them especially this close together. For his sake, I hope he hangs it up.

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce and Snydes