Starting OL for 2020

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Average OL do not get better - they just get more snaps. Look at current fiasco - now that we don’t have CPR players to blame whatever shall we do! All CMC now - so no more hiding behind the process!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Average OL do not get better - they just get more snaps. Look at current fiasco - now that we don’t have CPR players to blame whatever shall we do! All CMC now - so no more hiding behind the process!

I don't feel like people were blaming CPR players for issues on the line.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I feel like the upperclassmen were likely better than the younger guys this year but I think the younger guys are more talented if that makes sense. I am happy the majority of the young guys weren’t needed to play too early and have had a chance to develop while staying healthy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I feel like the upperclassmen were likely better than the younger guys this year but I think the younger guys are more talented if that makes sense. I am happy the majority of the young guys weren’t needed to play too early and have had a chance to develop while staying healthy.

I really hope you are right. I am concerned about how we played only 5 guys for some entire games. Campbell seems to be doing the opposite of Rhoads who threw guys out there way too soon. Hopefully, it works.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm tired of always being.... "2-3 years away". We all said that a couple years ago when our OL was all sophs. We thought when they were all seniors we'd have a dominant OL. How'd that turn out?
It turned out that we had a fairly competent OL for a change.

I don’t recall anyone being buck stupid enough to say that they were suddenly going to go from sub par to “dominant” as seniors. I do remember people saying they expected them to put it all together as seniors—which is what this bunch did, maximizing their potential.

Typical clonedude post, misconstruing what people were actually saying.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
It turned out that we had a fairly competent OL for a change.

I don’t recall anyone being buck stupid enough to say that they were suddenly going to go from sub par to “dominant” as seniors. I do remember people saying they expected them to put it all together as seniors—which is what this bunch did, maximizing their potential.

Typical clonedude post, misconstruing what people were actually saying.

Completely agree. Before the season started we poked fun at sports news outlets expecting our oline to be one of the best in the Big 12. The vast majority of us were only expecting them to be slightly above average or like you said, competent and competitive.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The closer you are to the football the more you can anticipate improvement throughout a career. That means interior linemen and quarterbacks can and do improve a lot but guys that are far from the ball (WR, RB, DBs) you typically know what you've got right away their freshman/soph year. They aren't going to suddenly get fast and explosive. Offensive tackles aren't suddenly going to grow 6 inches and become a mauler.

Obviously this is a very general statement but you can use that as a rule of thumb.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Here is what I see needs to happen for this team to take the next step forward.

1. Offensive line needs to make a big improvement. And early in the season. Purdy needs to be better protected to make good throws and holes need to be open to run through at least until the 2nd level of defense.

2. Secondary needs to be better at covering. This means not giving 5yds + cushion and then trying to make a tackle. It means being all over receivers and not giving them a clean chance to catch the ball. Of coarse, getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks would also help a lot.

3. Kick return game need to exist in a healthy way. Not being able to get a return doesn't improve field position and help make a shorter field for the offense.

Accomplish these and I think we can win 9 or more games next year.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm tired of always being.... "2-3 years away". We all said that a couple years ago when our OL was all sophs. We thought when they were all seniors we'd have a dominant OL. How'd that turn out?

That is part of the problem, guys recruited 3-4 years ago should be JR and Seniors in 2020. Guess what, there is 1 senior scholarship guy in Foster. There are going to be 3 RS juniors on the team in 2020. That is it for upperclassmen.

CMC pretty much struck out in his first 2 recruiting classes in terms of OL. Several guys didn't show up, or quit shortly after getting to Ames. A couple of the guys he took in his first class were projects, where he was hoping to get some help. His second year he tried to sign 2 grad transfers and neither one stayed, so that was 2 HS guys that he could have taken instead, but as everyone knows, he was desperate to get some guy that could help right away. Basically, all those seniors were playing because ISU just didn't have anyone developed enough to beat them out, because of the holes in the recruiting classes.

A couple of those guys were pretty good, a couple were okay, and one was a walkon that battled like crazy to get playing time. Certainly not a dominate OL, but better than 2018.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
To me, we've seen what you get when you bring in a bunch of OLs with no other P5 offers. They struggled big time the past few years. JGJ and Meeker had a few other offers and ended up OK. Knipfel was hidden at JUCO and still had offers and he was maybe our best OL. What we're getting now are OLs that have multiple legit P5 offers. Unfortunately, those guys are going to be pretty green next year.

I think what we saw this year was an OL that went from bad to average. They probably maxed out. But, the young guys on the roster have a higher ceiling. It just depends on how long it takes them to reach it. I feel like by the end of next year, we should have an OL that is better than it was at any point this season. But it could be a little rocky starting out.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
if the coaching staff would have thought the young guys would make our OL better they would have played (been needed).

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
To me, we've seen what you get when you bring in a bunch of OLs with no other P5 offers. They struggled big time the past few years. JGJ and Meeker had a few other offers and ended up OK. Knipfel was hidden at JUCO and still had offers and he was maybe our best OL. What we're getting now are OLs that have multiple legit P5 offers. Unfortunately, those guys are going to be pretty green next year.

I think what we saw this year was an OL that went from bad to average. They probably maxed out. But, the young guys on the roster have a higher ceiling. It just depends on how long it takes them to reach it. I feel like by the end of next year, we should have an OL that is better than it was at any point this season. But it could be a little rocky starting out.
Agreed. And I wish we would move Manning to o-line coach and let him focus on just that while finding someone else to call plays. It wont happen, but I think the o-line needs extra focus.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
if the coaching staff would have thought the young guys would make our OL better they would have played (been needed).

I agree, I don’t think as redshirt freshman/ sophomores they were better right now but will be with more lifting etc. I think at least I hope they are more talented than what they are going to replace.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Who do you think will be the starters on the O-line next year? They should all be Campbell guys at this point, so hopefully we see some improvement.

My prediction:
T- Ramos
G- Downing
C - Newell
G- Hufford
T- Trieber

Could also see Rob Hudson be in the mix as well at Guard.

The o-line will be one of the key unknowns going into next season.

I think it is possible that it improves, but much more likely that there are growing pains as we break in the new starters. Even if the players are more talented, offensive line usually takes the most time to develop.

My guess... and that is all it is (do not claim to have any info):

LT: Ramos (not as high as some, of he was ready I think he would have started in the bowl game)
LG: Downing (returning starter)
C: Newell (could also see him move to G or T similar to JGJ; played OT in HS)
RG: Hudson (just a guess, could be a grad transfer)
RT: huge question mark... I guess I would go Trieber if I have to pick someone on the roster; grad transfer possible or if they think Newell can slide out to tackle, he is also possible here.

Net, lots of young guys without much experience behind a line that never was great. Could be that these guys were so young the staff didn’t trust them (see Foster over Newell at Iowa 2018). But if these guys were ready, I feal like they would have forced their way onto the field like Newell and Downing have. I think the line is likely to hold them back in 2020. But, potentially a key to 2021 success.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The closer you are to the football the more you can anticipate improvement throughout a career. That means interior linemen and quarterbacks can and do improve a lot but guys that are far from the ball (WR, RB, DBs) you typically know what you've got right away their freshman/soph year. They aren't going to suddenly get fast and explosive. Offensive tackles aren't suddenly going to grow 6 inches and become a mauler.

Obviously this is a very general statement but you can use that as a rule of thumb.

Very well stated, OL/DL are the hardest to predict, and take the longest to actually see the field, unless they are 4 or 5 star recruits.
OL you have to look at the frame, and see if they can put on good weight, along with the needed muscle, and that takes 2 or 3 seasons. We should also look to copying what Iowa is doing, and look at kids that wrestled in high school. Wrestling teaches balance and use of the hands, both of which carry over to OL play.

I said earlier this year, ISU should always be looking to take one or two JC OL and DL each year. Jus to improve the talent base, that does not mean "settling" for below average players, but finding players that are highly recruited. We have one of the best JC programs in Council Bluffs, we should be scouting their talent, and getting to know the coaches over there. Working with them to use them as a feeder program into ISU. Our basketball coaches should be doing the same thing with Indian Hills in Ottumwa.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The problem is the young guys are mostly really young. FR, RS FR, and RS SO are all going to be hard pressed to contribute on the OL, unless they are KO quality. The real issue with younger guys is not those guys, but the disastrous OL recruiting in CMC's first 2 years. Not criticizing, it just turned out that way. Tough situation the first year, and two grad transfers that bailed the second.

I for one think that the OL will actually be better at run blocking next year. This years OL was actually pretty decent at pass protection, as long as there was not a lot of blitzing.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
RT: huge question mark... I guess I would go Trieber if I have to pick someone on the roster; grad transfer possible or if they think Newell can slide out to tackle, he is also possible here.
I’ll reiterate, I’ll be fairly surprised if Treiber starts at right tackle.

To complement that statement, I’ll say that I’ll be equally surprised if Ramos starts at left tackle.

And nether statement is because I don’t have faith in either player.