Games lost at Hilton since Orr

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Lots of debate happening these days. It always helps to have a common set of facts to work off of, so with that in mind ...

It has been 25 full seasons since Johnny Orr exited the stage. Since then, no ISU coach has stayed longer than five seasons for various reasons. I had some extra time today and decided to sum up the total losses at Hilton per coach, etc.

GAMES LOST AT HILTON PER SEASON

Tim Floyd (4 seasons) = 3.75 losses per season (3, 3, 3, 6)

Larry Eustachy (5 seasons) = 2.8 losses per season (3, 0, 0, 6, 5)

Wayne Morgan (3 seasons) = 3.33 losses per season (1, 3, 6)

Greg McDermott (4 seasons) = 6 losses per season (5, 6, 6, 7)

Fred Hoiberg (5 seasons) = 2.2 losses per season (6, 2, 1, 1, 1)

Steve Prohm (4 full seasons so far) = 4 losses per season (2, 3, 7, 4)

If Prohm wins the rest of his home games this season, his average will be 3.6 losses per season. If he has another season similar to two years ago with 7 losses, his average will be 4.6 losses per season after five full years.

Perhaps someone else can do something similar with average finish in conference and average results in the NCAA? (BTW--I don't put much stock in Big 12 Tournament Titles. Fun but nearly meaningless, IMO.)

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Lots of debate happening these days. It always helps to have a common set of facts to work off of, so with that in mind ...

It has been 25 full seasons since Johnny Orr exited the stage. Since then, no ISU coach has stayed longer than five seasons for various reasons. I had some extra time today and decided to sum up the total losses at Hilton per coach, etc.

GAMES LOST AT HILTON PER SEASON

Tim Floyd (4 seasons) = 3.75 losses per season (3, 3, 3, 6)

Larry Eustachy (5 seasons) = 2.8 losses per season (3, 0, 0, 6, 5)

Wayne Morgan (3 seasons) = 3.33 losses per season (1, 3, 6)

Greg McDermott (4 seasons) = 6 losses per season (5, 6, 6, 7)

Fred Hoiberg (5 seasons) = 2.2 losses per season (6, 2, 1, 1, 1)

Steve Prohm (4 full seasons so far) = 4 losses per season (2, 3, 7, 4)

If Prohm wins the rest of his home games this season, his average will be 3.6 losses per season. If he has another season similar to two years ago with 7 losses, his average will be 4.6 losses per season after five full years.

Perhaps someone else can do something similar with average finish in conference and average results in the NCAA? (BTW--I don't put much stock in Big 12 Tournament Titles. Fun but nearly meaningless, IMO.)
Interesting facts but let me take the opposite side. If we won the Big 12 championship every year I'd be okay with losing 4/5 games in Hilton every year.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Interesting facts but let me take the opposite side. If we won the Big 12 championship every year I'd be okay with losing 4/5 games in Hilton every year.

I assume you are talking regular season Big 12 title. If so, those are likely next to impossible if you lose 4-5 home games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Big 8 schedules had 7 conference home games, initial Big 12 had 8 conference home games, and Big 12 now has 9 conference homes games.

Just an FYI

Though historically there were also more home and home games vs major programs. There were some seasons we had 3-4 major conference teams in nonconference. Those have disappeared, not just for us, but across a lot of college basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Honestly me too. There is absolutely nothing more fun than running off 3 in a row down there.
Man i just cannot agree with this.

I loved the wins in KC. Had a lot of fun going down there for some of those tournament wins.

But if that tournament is bracketed by a mediocre/disappointing regular season and disappointing tournament, that season, overall, is a failure.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Though historically there were also more home and home games vs major programs. There were some seasons we had 3-4 major conference teams in nonconference. Those have disappeared, not just for us, but across a lot of college basketball.
Yep, dont doubt that. We do now have the BE and SEC challenges and still IA every other year. Seems like the tournaments have swallowed up a lot of the good power matchups at home.
Loved having Michigan come to Hilton, Ohio State would only play us at Wells, even the BYU and Cincy games were good.
I'd love for us to play a home and hone with another B1G school every year: Michigan, Purdue, Sconnie, Minny, Illinois.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and alarson

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not necessarily, but a split is needed for sure.
It helps a lot to sweep them, but reaching 14 or 15 league wins can do it without a sweep (maybe).

You're right, sweep isn't required, a split at minimum ... But sweep can add a buffer so maybe you can afford to lose a game at home, or not have to rely on an unrealistic number of road wins, and at least still keep pace to finish at the top.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd love for us to play a home and hone with another B1G school every year: Michigan, Purdue, Sconnie, Minny, Illinois.

Loved when we had that home and home with minnesota 10 years or so ago. Was a nice trip up to minneapolis.

Reactions: JP4CY

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Take out Fred’s guys (first two Prohm seasons) and it’s a totally different average.

Also, we’ll probably have at least 3-4 more Hilton losses this year, maybe more.

Next year will be more of the same.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yep, dont doubt that. We do now have the BE and SEC challenges and still IA every other year. Seems like the tournaments have swallowed up a lot of the good power matchups at home.
Loved having Michigan come to Hilton, Ohio State would only play us at Wells, even the BYU and Cincy games were good.

Home and Home with the B1G....Bring on Nebraska our border state rival ...bring on Freddie Hoiberg and the huskers of Nebbie......Now that's Entertainment!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What kinds of margins are those losses? I know Larry got trucked a few times post-Tinsley. Nebraska beat Floyd but Tyron Lue was the stuff of legends that day.

Prohm's losses stand out to me because they've been the type that you just feel like if they've been struggling, and even get a lead, they don't hold up some how. Like, last night, for example.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Man i just cannot agree with this.

I loved the wins in KC. Had a lot of fun going down there for some of those tournament wins.

But if that tournament is bracketed by a mediocredisappointing regular season and disappointing tournament, that season, overall, is a failure.

I said nothing about the NCAA tournament. That’s what the entire season is about.

No season where we make the tourney is a failure.

I said I’d trade a few home losses for a big 12 tourney championship. Stand by it 100%.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: CyBobby and alarson

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron