Way Too Early 2020 W/L Predictions

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I'm not gonna come out and say we beat Iowa in IC (I'd feel slightly more confident in Ames), but you gotta think next year would be the year, no? Breaking in a new QB who will only have a handful of real-game snaps at that point in her career, playing on a pretty big stage in maybe her 2nd or 3rd collegiate game. I know Stanley beat us in his 2nd or 3rd collegiate start, but that was against a 3-9 team in Campbell's first year. Iowa also loses pieces along the D-Line and secondary, maybe elsewhere too, not really sure. I just think it's possible, but then again, almost have to see Iowa State win before you can get too carried away predicting anything other than a L.

SDSU and UNLV are easy W's, thank God.

Oklahoma State will be legit next year. I'd expect marginal improvement at the least from Tech, WVU, and even KU to an extent. KSU is KSU, Texas will probably be beatable, but I'm sure will have us circled next year in Austin. TCU is going to be better than 5-7, tho I'm not convinced a TON better. Baylor will take a step back regardless if Rhule stays or leaves. Things aligned perfectly for them this year, and regression to the mean is imminent...OU will be OU regardless of who's on the sideline. So yeah, really tough to predict anything better than a 7-5 season. I almost think I'd be happy if they were able to achieve that with so much perceived parity in the league.

I don't see our O-Line being better next year, and that is incredibly sad to think about. We also lose Pettway who at the end of the season was Brock's most reliable target, bigger loss than most people realize I think. Many are going to need to step up to reach 7-5 again I fear, and I don't think the fans should be disappointed if that's where things end up, unless of course the losses are by a point here, a point there, and 2 points there and so on again...that's demoralizing when prolonged over a season like that.

South Dakota will not be an easy win. How many Drake, UNI, North Dakota St. games is it going to take before we get this out of our collective mindset?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
South Dakota will not be an easy win. How many Drake, UNI, North Dakota St. games is it going to take before we get this out of our collective mindset?
I don't think South Dakota is on NDSU of 2014's level. UNI and Drake players salivate at any chance to play their big bro, the school who wouldn't recruit them. So those games are no fun for Iowa State usually. South Dakota is and will prove to be different IMO. Expect Iowa State to avoid a slow start next year, at least in this game. 3-4 touchdown victory for the good guys.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Another question is who will be the player that is way over-hyped in the offseason, joining Kamilo Tongamoa, Matt Leo, Johnnie Lang, Will McDonald? There is one every year that is super hyped and doesn't produce much. I wish the media would let these guys develop naturally instead of the unrealistic expectations. I think it will be Scates or Porter this offseason.

Leo and McDonald had solid seasons I thought. No one was saying they would be all Americans or even all conference. There’s just as much of a problem with how the fans digest the hype.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I don't think South Dakota is on NDSU of 2014's level. UNI and Drake players salivate at any chance to play their big bro, the school who wouldn't recruit them. So those games are no fun for Iowa State usually. South Dakota is and will prove to be different IMO. Expect Iowa State to avoid a slow start next year, at least in this game. 3-4 touchdown victory for the good guys.

They beat South Dakota St. in their last game, so that indicates that they improved a lot over the course of the season.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Answered this above, but yes, the o'line is pretty much gone sans one all-conference guard. And the d'line loses a lot as well with an all-conference d'end returning. Otherwise, K-State returns a lot of talented youngsters at every level.
Who is the returning all conference guard. All the starters you list are RS Srs. And all the all conference guys are listed as seniors.

I don't expect a step back for KSU but the fans fretting like this year for KSU suggests they have clearly jumped ISU is a bit premature. Saying "all" Klieman has to do is reload their two best position groups that he inherited full of 5th year seniors is kind of understating the challenge. Depending on the depth chart you use it looks like 8/9 on the lines are gone and 5 or 6 of the remaining 13 are gone. Like all teams I'm sure there are rotation guys that were good, but that's a really high number of starters to lose.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm going to say 7-5. Vegas o/u at 7.5.

Unless we see significant improvement in football basics and special teams (and luck with turnovers and missed opponents FGs), I don't see us winning more than this. I doubt we'll have a good enough OL to do better either.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Who is the returning all conference guard. All the starters you list are RS Srs. And all the all conference guys are listed as seniors.

Josh Rivas was an AP second-team lineman. Klieman recruited only one JUCO o'lineman: Dawson Delforge OL 6-5 317 Wamego, Kan. (Butler CC). So, I suspect he's happy with what's in the pipeline.

MANHATTAN, Kan.
– Led by a pair of first-teamers in defensive end Wyatt Hubert and all-purpose player Joshua Youngblood, Kansas State had four players named to the Associated Press All-Big 12 teams, the organization announced Friday. Hubert and Youngblood, who were also named to the first team by the league's coaches, were joined by punter Devin Anctil and offensive lineman Josh Rivas on the AP's second team.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Josh Rivas was an AP second-team lineman. Klieman recruited only one JUCO o'lineman: Dawson Delforge OL 6-5 317 Wamego, Kan. (Butler CC). So, I suspect he's happy with what's in the pipeline.

MANHATTAN, Kan.
– Led by a pair of first-teamers in defensive end Wyatt Hubert and all-purpose player Joshua Youngblood, Kansas State had four players named to the Associated Press All-Big 12 teams, the organization announced Friday. Hubert and Youngblood, who were also named to the first team by the league's coaches, were joined by punter Devin Anctil and offensive lineman Josh Rivas on the AP's second team.
Strange that Rivas isn't even HM on the official Big12 all conference team while they had another OL as a 2nd teamer and two others as HM.
https://big12sports.com/news/2019/12/4/2019-all-big-12-football-awards-announced.aspx

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Gimme the Koolaid:
USD - W
@ Iowa - W
UNLV - W
Tech - W
@ KU - W
@ OSU - L
OU - W
KSU - L
@ TCU - W
Baylor - W
@ Texas - L
WVU - W
Alamo Bowl

But could also see:
USD - W
@ Iowa - L
UNLV - W
Tech - W
@ KU - W
@ OSU - L
OU - L
KSU - W
@ TCU - W
Baylor - W
@ Texas - L
WVU - W
Liberty Bowl

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I doubt that most of us really have done any detailed research into what the other nine teams in the league have returning or have recruited. But I think after 4 seasons with CMC and staff, it is safe to say that the Cyclones will not be ready to play well in September, they will hit their stride in October and then November, anything goes.

So how that breaks down for wins and losses, like I say, a lot depends on our opponents and I don't think we really know that much about them. I'm sure most of their fans think they have a great team next year also. As usual, I think we will need some breaks to go our way (turnovers, penalties, injuries, O Line better than we expect).

But, based on how we were playing at the end of 2019 (can't hold onto the ball, nothing "special" about special teams, have to throw on 4th and inches and poor third-down defense), my expectations are: 6 - 6 record

USD - W
@ Iowa - L
UNLV - W
Tech - L
@ KU - W
@ OSU - L (assuming Hubbard returns)
OU - L
KSU - W
@ TCU - W
Baylor - L
@ Texas - L
WVU - W

• Agree
Reactions: tsirnickesqcy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Strange that Rivas isn't even HM on the official Big12 all conference team while they had another OL as a 2nd teamer and two others as HM.

Well, you asked so I gave you the source. Football Weekly graded the B12 every week and Rivas was on that list a lot. Klieman does a lot of rotations so being a starter for him is probably not what it might mean at other programs. I'm guessing Lenners, who was all-conference on your list, didn't play half the snaps down here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron