Good article from Hines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd say Lewis has gotten more minutes the last two games with that quote in mind. People were getting worked, so he finally got his shot. Worked his butt off and hit some shots. I hope he has a quicker trigger on pulling guys on D who aren't working, but he's always been a bit slow on his draw in those decisions.

People say it all the time, and it gets annoying as a player, but defense is almost solely about effort, and we've seen what most of these guys CAN do when they are a cohesive defensive unit, and taking pride in stopping their man. However it has been far too streaky.

I always disagree with this. Effort is required of anything on a basketball court. Defense is about preparation, athleticism, conditioning, and instinct. You can give your 110% all day but if you’re slow and/or tired you’re going to get beat. If you can’t move your feet or have short arms you’re going to get beat no matter how hard you try.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not really, thats just the PC sports culture we live in nowadays. It wasnt like this 20 years ago when I played.

Ok....do you recall Tim Floyd sitting Kelvin Cato out for a mistake or not starting him for a half? That was over 20 years ago.

Who actually ever did? Bobby Knight? The guy who was verbally and physically abusive, and got fired because of it, twenty years ago?

The concerns you have over coaching are generally valid--improvements need to happen, but to pigeon hole him and not being outraged by issues with someone like Fred (they were there) is questionable at best.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If your reaction to this article is to bag on Hilton Coliseum and Steve Prohm's sideline demeanor, that's kinda weird IMO.

I apologize for starting WW3 but I just dont think Hilton is formidable anymore and I was just asking questions on why his demeanor during practice and games is different. From what I've heard Fran is actually the opposite of this as he's alot calmer and nicer in practice.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Not really, thats just the PC sports culture we live in nowadays. It wasnt like this 20 years ago when I played.
triggered. snowflake. pc. "when i played". Keep it up. You're on a roll. If any coach chose not to play one of their best players to start the second half because of a blunder in the 1st half, whether today or 20 years ago, that's a bad coach..not a millennial. Unless somehow your HS team in IA had some d1 studs sitting on the bench not starting, that may be the only time I'd agree with you.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I always disagree with this. Effort is required of anything on a basketball court. Defense is about preparation, athleticism, conditioning, and instinct. You can give your 110% all day but if you’re slow and/or tired you’re going to get beat. If you can’t move your feet or have short arms you’re going to get beat no matter how hard you try.

Do you think LW was capable of playing better defense?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I apologize for starting WW3 but I just dont think Hilton is formidable anymore and I was just asking questions on why his demeanor during practice and games is different. From what I've heard Fran is actually the opposite of this as he's alot calmer and nicer in practice.

I can all but guarantee there are many many top coaches that are a total 180 from practice to game demeanor.

With the way many people including players seem to not be phased by Fran's behavior, it's hard to believe they're not completely used to it.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You're right, I say that under the pretense we know these guys are D1 athletes, in the best shape of their lives, and watching film daily. I wouldn't ever agree that Bolton and Nixon both playing with 110% effort on D are the same defender. But even if you have the intangibles it will never come to fruition if you don't give that effort. Thats why I purposely included *almost. You're right though, my post and that old adage are rooted in hyperbole.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe stop shooting threes then? That was my whole point. Stop shooting if you suck, which Nixon does
So you think that 76% of all Div 1 teams should stop shooting threes altogether because they don't have a player that is shooting .330 or better on the NCAA list? And all but 17 teams should have no more than 1 player shoot threes?

Because we all know that .330 is "putrid".

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
for·mi·da·ble
  1. inspiring fear or respect through being impressively large, powerful, intense, or capable.
    "a formidable opponent"
You can imply what you want but "formidable" isnt the first word that comes to mind when they are .500 at home in the Big 12 the last 2 years, including multiple beatdowns in front of our own crowd.
So not counting the 2017-2018 year, which you give a ton of weight to (that's your opinion), Prohm is 19-8 (.750) at home in Big 12 play.

2015-2016: Loss by 4 to Baylor who later became ranked, loss by 5 to #14 WVU

2016-2017: Loss by 4 to #2 KU, loss by 13 to #14 WVU

2018-2019: Loss by 1 to KSU who later became ranked and won the Big 12, by 9 to TCU (definitely a bad loss), by 4 to Baylor, by 7 to #8 TTU who also won the Big 12.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I can all but guarantee there are many many top coaches that are a total 180 from practice to game demeanor.

With the way many people including players seem to not be phased by Fran's behavior, it's hard to believe they're not completely used to it.

Prohm has stated that he is consciously very different in games vs practice. He has said he does not want to subtract from their confidence in games and then in practice is MUCH more critical of mistakes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prohm has stated that he is consciously very different in games vs practice. He has said he does not want to subtract from their confidence in games and then in practice is MUCH more critical of mistakes.

Which I think is pretty standard for many. Practice is the prep, games are the product.

We occasionally see CMC get weird on the sidelines but usually he's pretty calm and I'd bet he's all over the place in practice.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I just don't understand why these newspapers can't run ads before articles? I'm not paying for a newspaper for a town I don't even live in. I'm not paying the Ames trib or DSM Register. I pay for my local paper, that's it. I'd gladly sit through a 30 second ad to read an article though. Works for many other media outlets...

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Now I know who you are, Dave Bliss.
10891387_web1_web_crop_AP_981872520005.jpg

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Funny, I have good ol' "jereseib" blocked, but I knew that had to be the person to whom y'all were responding - then saw the confirmation. So much negativity in the world, I couldn't take it anymore. Have enjoyed the serenity. By all means, respectful, rational, constructive suggestions/frustrations on our favorite teams should be shared and up for debate. Just don't need the constant derision. Recommend all consider it...