Coaching Staff Evaluation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It won't matter if the O-Line doesn't improve. This was this staffs calling-card at Toledo, but at ISU it has been bad.
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but this ^^^ is about it. Hard to make adjustments when the line is just "serviceable". Want to take the next step, shoring that up will be a huge step in the right direction.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Mac was too loyal to his assistants. That’s what got him fired. Rhoads micromanaged the offense, which he knew nothing about. CMC’s mid major buddy system is what makes him comfortable, but he needs to get out of his comfort zone and get a OC who can at least walk and chew gum at the same time. Special teams is not that complicated- there is no reason we can’t do better.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Edit: Want to add that I fully support this staff and team... after 34 years of season tickets - paid for a lot of bad football and this is best it has been... and full believe in the future. It is incredibly challenging to accomplish what has been done and we have a super bright future!!!!!

Offensive play-calling is consistently inconsistent and at times bewildering. One obvious example is once again, 4th and inches and we are in shotgun and getting stuffed in the backfield.

Other times Manning has some great series mixing it up.

As well - there are games when the play-calling is very stubborn and running same play on 1st down many times in a row and the other teams know it and stuff it.

Need to see more consistency and creativity on the offensive play calling.

Manning is the man!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: 67CY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Mac was too loyal to his assistants. That’s what got him fired. Rhoads micromanaged the offense, which he knew nothing about. CMC’s mid major buddy system is what makes him comfortable, but he needs to get out of his comfort zone and get a OC who can at least walk and chew gum at the same time. Special teams is not that complicated- there is no reason we can’t do better.
How many of Macs early assistants left...

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but this ^^^ is about it. Hard to make adjustments when the line is just "serviceable". Want to take the next step, shoring that up will be a huge step in the right direction.
I think our coaching on the offensive side of the ball has been less than great this year. I's give them a C+. Too often the players haven't looked sharp on offense, which I think stems from a lack of confidence in their preparation and the plays they're being asked to run. I believe all year we have lacked a commitment to running the ball. That's made us one-dimensional and put too much of the weight on Brock.
I have complete confidence in Campbell and trust he will make the adjustments necessary in his staff. It's been obvious since the Okie State game that something isn't quite right. As the season went along opposing coaches have been able to exploit our weaknesses. Today we were massively out-coached.
I believe we have to be realists though. The team on the other side of the field wants to win also and is working very hard to achieve that goal. Sometimes the other team has a talent advantage that can't be overcome through coaching. Notre Dame is a very good football team. If we feel bad as ISU losing to Notre Dame, how would you like being an OU fan? One of the elite programs in the country and they're being taken apart by LSU.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
It won't matter if the O-Line doesn't improve. This was this staffs calling-card at Toledo, but at ISU it has been bad.
Toledo had Olines that could compete with most anyone and dominate all but top 20 - 25 teams. It did take three/four years to get there. Agree that oline, special teams, and reduction of penalties would help. Also,Toledo was very good at takeaways and not seeing it now.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
This frat boy coaching staff is not ready for prime time. Not even sure if any of these assistant coaches get interviews for head coaching jobs. If they're not looking for head coaching jobs then they are not worth their high salaries. Hayden Fry wanted assistants who wanted to be head coaches and turned out plenty of them.

Stupid & become an I**a fan.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Dan , kirk, Bill, bob all under Hayden became historic coaches at their programs, hope we get their. Have a staff of that caliber.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
ill let gray speak for my thoughts

Gotta acknowledge that our coach talks about changing the culture and isn't likely to be crowing about being better than Rhoads or being better than 3-9 or even 6-6 which, if you recall, is for "BS teams". We need to graduate to higher levels of satisfaction. Not saying we have to go get 10 wins but cannot believe 7 is what Campbell thinks is a good year or would think we should be satisfied with. Jeez, we still have fans in the WBB forum referencing pre-Fennelly records to deflect any expression of disappointment. Expressing disappointment in a given season isn't the same as dissing a coaches past performance or calling for wholesale change. And by expressing disappointment, or offering a critical assessment, I don't mean the full time debbie downers stuff. Actually, considering the degree of this ass-kicking, that's been fairly subdued.

Last edited: