Vikings fans...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't think the line was that bad run blocking tonight. They weren't good by any stretch but there were a couple plays that would've been HUGE runs with the ball in Dalvin Cook's hands (and maybe even Mattison's) but Boone isn't either of them. A couple good runs would've done wonders for backing off the pass rush.

The Packers did the best thing you can do to make Thielen and Diggs useless...pressure. No time to throw means no time to make plays down the field which is where they're both phenomenal.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Kirk cousins will attend a super bowl just like me, by paying for a ticket. The lack of pocket awareness is killer. Step up, move to space, don’t be bad. That int in diggs direction was inexcusable to say it nicely. Man fir man I think the Vikings are better than GB, but qb position is such a disparity it makes that much difference.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and 2020cy

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Apparently I'm the only person here that noticed the Pack was continually getting pressure with 3-5 guys. They didn't even have to call designed blitzes to get past the OL. Hard for Cousins to do his job when he has 4 seconds, max, to find an open receiver among 6-7 defenders. There isn't a QB in the league that will play at a high level with the pass protection this group provides, not a single one.

Cousins was pressured nearly 50% of snaps this game. Absolutely unacceptable. It doesn't matter who the Vikings QB is, they will not succeed without a better OL. Period. It only partially works now because of how much respect Cook demands from a defense that creates deficiencies elsewhere... which was not a problem tonight for the Pack.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Kirk cousins will attend a super bowl just like me, by paying for a ticket. The lack of pocket awareness is killer. Step up, move to space, don’t be bad. That int in diggs direction was inexcusable to say it nicely. Man fir man I think the Vikings are better than GB, but qb position is such a disparity it makes that much difference.
Where was he to step up or move out to? Literally every position on the line got beat multiple times tonight. On top of that, GB often camped a LB up short behind the line just in case he would try to break out or up, it wouldn't have even helped.

It looked like the Vikings needed to attack the LB level in the pass game, but simply couldn't do it due to the lack of protection. GB also tended to press receivers to try to take away the short and horizontal passing games. With no run game established and no ability to go downfield due to protection limits, what else was there left to do?

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
Championship??? We are far away from that with him and this Oline

I completely agree. My point was that I've heard from people connected with the Vikings that they should re-sign him and he should play the rest of his career in Minnesota. Assuming that's another 7-8 seasons, that means another 7-8 years without a realistic shot at a championship with him at QB.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Where was he to step up or move out to? Literally every position on the line got beat multiple times tonight. On top of that, GB often camped a LB up short behind the line just in case he would try to break out or up, it wouldn't have even helped.

It looked like the Vikings needed to attack the LB level in the pass game, but simply couldn't do it due to the lack of protection. GB also tended to press receivers to try to take away the short and horizontal passing games. With no run game established and no ability to go downfield due to protection limits, what else was there left to do?
Watch the elite qbs. They can take a half step to avoid pressure and buy additional time. Cousins half steps take him into the arms of a defender. Is there too much pressure? Sure. But very seldom does cousins create anything positive on his own. It’d be great to say the 28 million dollar guy won that game.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Cousins and the OL were bad but the Vikings are not good enough to beat most teams with out Cook and Kendricks.
If the playoffs standings are set, rest everybody,. Tank the last game and get your draft picks lined up. OT, CB, QB in the first three rounds.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Cousins and the OL were bad but the Vikings are not good enough to beat most teams with out Cook and Kendricks.
If the playoffs standings are set, rest everybody,. Tank the last game and get your draft picks lined up. OT, CB, QB in the first three rounds.
After that cluster of a game I would OT, OG, OT

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is a solid team that beats who they're supposed to and keeps it close against good teams. My expectations for the playoffs are minimal

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is a solid team that beats who they're supposed to and keeps it close against good teams. My expectations for the playoffs are minimal
Then it’s a misfire by the front office. You don’t pay a QB that much guaranteed money to “keep it close” against good teams. I agree about the playoffs. I would be absolutely shocked if they won a game.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
After that cluster of a game I would OT, OG, OT

They should have been doing that for the last five years. They paid 84 mil to a pocket passing quarterback and then didn't get an online to protect him. I don't know why last night's result or the result of any game against a decent defense surprises anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Watch the elite qbs. They can take a half step to avoid pressure and buy additional time. Cousins half steps take him into the arms of a defender. Is there too much pressure? Sure. But very seldom does cousins create anything positive on his own. It’d be great to say the 28 million dollar guy won that game.
Elite QBs also tend to lose games when the rest of the offense can't help them in any meaningful way. Rodgers struggled last night, even with having more time and overall skill than Cousins has. He didn't have a good game... but his defense and running game did. Russell Wilson has been a Top QB this year, and his team just got shelled by the awful Cardinals... oh, and all 3 of his starting RBs are out for the season. He's gonna need some help there.

Cousins can't step anywhere when literally every angle around him is surrounded by defenders already. That was a regular problem last night. He has 2-3 seconds post-snap to make these calls, much less than the average QB, elite or not -- a QB is barely out of their drop after that short of time. If you watch the Vikings and think the source of their problems is at the QB position, you're looking for the wrong things. They have the exact same OL problems that predate Cousins.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron