Star Wars episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
why does it offend you so much that the “hacks” work for Disney and not another studio? It’s just a weird obsession.

Since when are you on the side of huge money-grubbing corporations ($11 billion in revenue last year according to the Mouse’s 10-K)?

• Funny
Reactions: bawbie

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Luke getting his hand chopped off has zero affect on him or his development. It’s a shock in the moment. What does he change after experiencing failure?

He starts to mature and goes back to Yoda to finish training; he also goes to the Emperor fully believing he is going to die - his goal is to just distract the Emperor until the rebels can blow it up. Also, his arm becomes a connecting point to his father - who fell to the dark side and became more machine than man. When he is caught up in his anger while cutting off Vader's hand in RotJ, seeing his father's machine stump along with his own robotic arm reminds him that his anger is leading him down the same path as Vader and likely what kept him from falling himself.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
They should have let the dark side win. It’s like watching the Harlem Globetrotters, it’s gets old.

they had a chance to blow everyone’s mind and make more money I mean movies

They actually did win the prequel trilogy, and the middle films of both later trilogies. That’s a decent batting average.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Worst part of the prequels was I was really excited by the actors and... flop.

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
I’ve had 24 hours to reflect now, so here are my thoughts:

I do not regret seeing this in theaters. If you are on the fence I recommend seeing it sooner rather than later. I think the “shared experience” of seeing a movie in theaters really helps with the overall enjoyment of the film.

With that being said, this movie is probably the least re-watchable of the new trilogy. I think there are too many questions that you could come up with on repeated viewings.

One thing I absolutely hated - the entire trilogy trivializes the role of Darth Vader in the Skywalker story arch. I didn’t mind the prequels in that it gave us backstory to Anakin/Darth Vader. This new trilogy almost completely ignores that character and that did not sit well with me.

I really think there was a different ending in mind and that got vetoed due to perceived feedback
The movie really flirted with the fact that there were stormtroopers like Finn ready to mutiny. This is only an assumption, but I thought the likelihood of the rebels winning was dependent on the stormtroopers turning against the First Order. There were definitely hints to that and I think that got squashed as being perceived as a fairly “liberal” ending. I don’t want to make this a political discussion, but it definitely seemed like it could have ended that way. I think if it were done tactfully that would have been an appropriate ending, but given the current political climate it was way too risky for Disney to pull off.

But for that ending to be put in, the Chinese censors would of had to allow it. Might of even had to get cut out with recent events over there.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
But for that ending to be put in, the Chinese censors would of had to allow it. Might of even had to get cut out with recent events over there.

It just seemed like that was the only “logical” conclusion to the movie with how much attention they paid to Finn’s character towards the end. It would have made way more sense if
The kidnapped stormtroopers would have turned on the Final Order troops and turned the ships on each other. That makes way more sense than Lando and Chewie getting +1 million ships flown by “average people” in the span of minutes.
But you are 100% correct, only I wasn’t thinking about Chinese media but rather US media taking either a pro or anti-establishment stance.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd but have seen all of the films. This is one is honestly mediocre and was some what predictable. I knew Kylo would rebel against the Sith the whole time even though he was trying to get Ray to join for the past 2 movies. It wasn't terrible but it isn't as good as the other Star Wars.

this is a lower tier Star Wars movie for me. I’d put only Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones below it which is a bummer. Still had a good time at the movies.

• Agree
Reactions: Rise of the Clones

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

sIlLYXQ_d.jpg

Reactions: bawbie

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Its a bit like the original trilogy that we all revere. Vader was not going to be Luke’s father, until he was (after Star Wars). They didn’t know Leia was going to be Luke’s brother until the last movie.

Things are more enjoyable when you just roll with it and don’t analyze everything. I knew nothing about the new movie at all before I went in. Didn’t even watch a trailer. Did not know who directed it. Maybe that is part of why I really enjoyed it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It just seemed like that was the only “logical” conclusion to the movie with how much attention they paid to Finn’s character towards the end. It would have made way more sense if
The kidnapped stormtroopers would have turned on the Final Order troops and turned the ships on each other. That makes way more sense than Lando and Chewie getting +1 million ships flown by “average people” in the span of minutes.
But you are 100% correct, only I wasn’t thinking about Chinese media but rather US media taking either a pro or anti-establishment stance.

I agree that would’ve been great. I think they would’ve needed to plant a few more seeds throughout. Great idea if executed right.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Questions...
What the hell was Lando doing during the time of resistance?

How did Lando convince 1,000 ships to follow him in 10 minutes when Leia couldn’t get anyone? Is she that bad of a leader?

What was the point of the turncoat storm troopers in the planet with Death Star wreckage?

How did the dagger have the location of the Sith finder built into its design?

What’s with the fascination of destroying planets? How does that win people over to your cause?

Why did the New Order rely on conscripts to fill their ranks? Why not go with droids for their infantry? No worry about deserters.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Its a bit like the original trilogy that we all revere. Vader was not going to be Luke’s father, until he was (after Star Wars). They didn’t know Leia was going to be Luke’s brother until the last movie.

Things are more enjoyable when you just roll with it and don’t analyze everything. I knew nothing about the new movie at all before I went in. Didn’t even watch a trailer. Did not know who directed it. Maybe that is part of why I really enjoyed it.

Is this new film acceptable popcorn entertainment for two hours...?

Probably.

Is it going to have any staying power, artistically or commercially?

Probably not.

"Just don't think about it" is a pretty weak defense.

And by the way, the fact that Luke and Leia go mouth-to-mouth with each other early in The Empire Strikes Back is such a wince-worthy moment.

That is definitely a titanic flaw in a consensus masterpiece.

• Agree
Reactions: weR138 and JBone84

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is this new film acceptable popcorn entertainment for two hours...?

Probably.

Is it going to have any staying power, artistically or commercially?

Probably not.

"Just don't think about it" is a pretty weak defense.

And by the way, the fact that Luke and Leia go mouth-to-mouth with each other early in The Empire Strikes Back is such a wince-worthy moment.

That is definitely a titanic flaw in a consensus masterpiece.
“Consensus masterpiece”?

Consensus of whom? Seems like a very large straw man to me

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
“Consensus masterpiece”?

Consensus of whom? Seems like a very large straw man to me

When aggregating fan and reviewer scores, all three movies in the original trilogy wind up rating 94 or above out of a possible 100, with tens of thousands of reviews.

That doesn't mean there wasn't plot problems with those movies though. There were.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis