WBB: ISU vs UNI Panthers 5:00

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
image_handler.aspx

AMES, Iowa -The Iowa State women's basketball team (7-2, 0-0, Big 12) continues its home stand Sunday as it takes on Northern Iowa (7-3, 0-0 MVC) on Sunday, Dec. 22 at 5 p.m. on Cyclones.tv. Iowa State is 36-9 against the Panthers. UNI claimed the last meeting in 2017, 57-53. Prior to that victory, Iowa State had won 13-straight. The Cyclones are also 17-1 all-time against UNI in Hilton Coliseum.

As a reminder, Hilton Coliseum has instituted a Clear Bag Policy for athletic events. The policy will enhance security while improving efficiency at the entry gates.

Where: Hilton Coliseum - Ames, Iowa
When: Sunday, Dec. 22 at 5 p.m.
Projected Starting Lineup: Rae Johnson, Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw, Ashley Joens, Inés Nezerwa, Kristin Scott
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent:Dave Sprau, Molly Parrott
TV: Cyclones.tv

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The TV scheduling gods hate me. Yesterday, other than the volleyball championship, there was not a darn thing on I wanted to watch. Today it's a full slate and have to pick a game to miss while I run over to work out so I don't end up full time in the CF fat thread.

MBB: ISU @ noon

WBB: Texas plays #1 Stanford* at Norman Sunday ESPN2 1200
Edit: Good game so far by Texas, up 9 at the half. We'll see if they have the depth to hold off the Cardinal in the 4th. Texas isn't deep, at all, but they got some good players and playing with some confidence this afternoon.

Edit 2: :( Joyner Holmes just went down at 9:00 in 4th and had to be carried off the court. Looks like a knee. And 5 minutes later she's back from locker room and just reentered the game. :eek:

Edit 3: Texas 69-64. Wow. #1 goes down.

MBB: Oklahoma plays #2 Connecticut* at Norman Sunday CBS Sports Net 3:00

MBB: ISU @ 5:00

NBA: Monte Morris vs Lakers 8:30

At least the NFL Lazards aren't on till tomorrow night. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: harimad

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The TV scheduling gods hate me. Yesterday, other than the volleyball championship, there was not a darn thing on I wanted to watch. Today it's a full slate and have to pick a game to miss while I run over to work out so I don't end up full time in the CF fat thread.

MBB: ISU @ noon

WBB: Texas plays #1 Stanford* at Norman Sunday ESPN2 1200
Edit: Good game so far by Texas, up 9 at the half. We'll see if they have the depth to hold off the Cardinal in the 4th. Texas isn't deep, at all, but they got some good players and playing with some confidence this afternoon.

Edit 2: :( Joyner Holmes just went down at 9:00 in 4th and had to be carried off the court. Looks like a knee. And 5 minutes later she's back from locker room and just reentered the game. :eek:

Edit 3: Texas 69-64. Wow. #1 goes down.

MBB: Oklahoma plays #2 Connecticut* at Norman Sunday CBS Sports Net 3:00

MBB: ISU @ 5:00

NBA: Monte Morris vs Lakers 8:30

At least the NFL Lazards aren't on till tomorrow night. ;)

We stayed in Hilton after the men’s game ended to watch the Texas-Stanford game ending. Guessing Tara will have some choice words for her team after losing the throw-in right in front of their bench down 67-64.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Still early for math based forecasts to be reliable, but just for fun, RealTimeRPI has UNI winning this one in a nail biter 73-72.
Common opponents Iowa and Alabama we had reversed outcomes.
Average points per game UNI 74.96 ISU 73.26
Average points give up per game UNI 65.25 ISU 69.19

We have a height advantage and I like the twin post line-up. Unless Joens is the only one scoring, we should get this.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
There wi be two keys to this game. Perimeter defense and having multiple scorers. For the first we miss Madison greatly. The rest of our guards who are regular playing time are a bit slow on D. On the inside Nez has to stay out of foul trouble while protecting the middle. For the second, there needs to be 4-5 scorers. It can’t just be Nez and Joens. We have to be able to hit the three so UNI can’t collapse to stop Joens on the drive. Rae needs to show up for this one.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Right now we have a bunch of players with no offensive confidence. UNI taking Joens out of the game and our guards wont shoot

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We are seeing a pattern that Iowa exposed. Guards that are slow and afraid to shoot. Teams that move the ball well can score on us. We stand out at the three point line and no one is afraid of us.

That second quarter was brutal. Unforced turnovers, no offense and too many defensive break downs. Just a lack of any type of flow. When we did turn it over we were slow to get back on D leaving UNI open for easy shots.

What is concerning is that Kristen is still a shadow of herself compared to last year. We miss Wise terribly on defense. Starting to remind me more and more of Carltons junior year. A one trick pony.

Going to take someone to help out on offense in the second half or it could be trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and geewago

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Too many turnovers today..seems like I think that same thought during most games this season.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
We need to win this game to not go 0-3 against the in-state schools. Interesting how many Iowans on each roster:

UNI - 9
Iowa - 4
Drake - 4
ISU - 2

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Many on really dumb passes trying to feed the post. If it ain't there, don't try the 5% change of success pass. :(
Thanks Boxster, I'm having to listen to the game this evening so thanks for the descriptor.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Maybe he should have AJ start shooting from outside