Army / Navy game and "white power" sign

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
It may be a game, but to brush it off as such without any investigation is rather silly, especially given the white supremacy and other gang issues we have in our military branches.

The military does have race issues but is trying to address it with a zero tolerance policy.

We had some racist on our ship that kept scratching KKK and other white supremacist symbols into the bulkheads. Got so bad everyone on our carrier had to attend mandatory race relations training. Don't know if they ever caught the ringleaders but the white supremacist markings stopped shortly after that.

This would be the second white supremacist symbol scandal at the Military Academy this fall.

I'm sure all the cadets will receive extra "training" on the subject.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...removes-motto-from-army-football-spirit-flag/

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And what exactly have you done to combat all of these horrible theoretical happenings plaguing our country? Or are you just the thought police? We all know how helpful keeping someone in your thoughts and prayers is

Maybe be a little more aware of my actions towards others to not make them feel scrutinized for the color of their skin or the way they look?

It's not theoretical. If someone talks to someone else about things that they think that person associates with because of how they look, it's a form of racism, and it's a form of white privilege to feel comfortable saying those things.

And it's not really a one side of the political aisle kind of thing...I've seen these types of actions from people that claim to be diversity loving progressives.

Now make sure you don't read or watching anything today about this type of stuff so you can stay in your safe space.

Reactions: CyDude16

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've never considered how to tape my johnson between my legs so I could dress like a woman but that doesn't make me hostile to those communities. Crap - now I'm going to think about taping my johnson between my legs...

I'm not talking about being openly hostile.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Kind of a weird story... I watched the game but never saw the "hate" symbols. Well the probe was just completed and it was kids playing a game. A game I used to play in the Air Force back in 19 and 85 called the "bag game". You make a circle with your fingers (the OK sign which is apparently now hate speech) and hold it over your head or below your waist. If someone LOOKED at it you could punch them - sometimes in the nuts - thus the "bag" game. If someone made the sign and you could break the circle, you could give the punishment. Actually brings back fond memories. Not of scrotum abuse, but the male bonding part of it.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-hand-gestures-made-army-navy-game-not-racist
I don’t remember seeing any of them punching one another? Just flashing a hand gesture and laughing.

Me thinks they are lying about their intentions because they clearly understand the oldest of white priveledges... that forgiveness comes easier for white people and misunderstandings are a little more clearly understood for white people.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
No one, that I've seen, is denying that white supremacists exist. What I am seeing are people saying that they make up a miniscule piece of the white population. I think we can all agree that the gesture has been appropriated by white supremacists. That shouldn't even be up for discussion.

If anything should have been learned by people the last couple years it's that those numbers aren't as miniscule as we had hoped they were.

I mean even just here in Iowa, we've hit national news twice in a week because of this **** (the guy with Nazi **** in his yard and the woman who ran over a girl because she was Hispanic). A whole bunch of other racist incidents on campuses including Iowa state, high school students chanting racist **** at other teams.. and hell, we have an extremely racist congressman in the 4th district who our governor embraces- she campaigned with him all the way to the end.

I wish it were just a miniscule percentage. Its not the majority, but it's enough that we can't just brush it off as being miniscule either.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Maybe be a little more aware of my actions towards others to not make them feel scrutinized for the color of their skin or the way they look?

It's not theoretical. If someone talks to someone else about things that they think that person associates with because of how they look, it's a form of racism, and it's a form of white privilege to feel comfortable saying those things.

And it's not really a one side of the political aisle kind of thing...I've seen these types of actions from people that claim to be diversity loving progressives.

Now make sure you don't read or watching anything today about this type of stuff so you can stay in your safe space.

There ya go. That first paragraph was great. Other than being more cognizant of my actions towards others and discouraging those around me from these kinds of repulsive behavior theres not much else I can do. So instead of being chicken little and acting as if the sky is falling I'm just going to focus on what I can control

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There ya go. That first paragraph was great. Other than being more cognizant of my actions towards others and discouraging those around me from these kinds of repulsive behavior theres not much else I can do. So instead of being chicken little and acting as if the sky is falling I'm just going to focus on what I can control

Crazy idea here...maybe you could stop criticizing others for being informed and thoughtful.

From what I read on here your main point is that intentionally remaining ignorant to events of the world is the best solution.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So you acknowledge that these types of things exist, but you don't think white privilege does?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So you acknowledge that these types of things exist, but you don't think white privilege does?

I think his point is that we should not have read about the white supremacist terror attacks in Charlottesville, New Zealand, Charleston, etc... It's our fault for following even the most obvious and biggest stories of our time. If we would just remain less informed, racism would go away.

Seriously, I think that's the original take he brought to the thread.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
The military has a small but known problem with gangs and white supremacy, so they absolutely had to investigate this. Nasty part about this is the ability to claim plausible deniability. Yes, it was traditionally used as "ok" or the punching game, but in recent years has been used by white supremacists, some who have killed.

Such things cannot be allowed to take root.

. . . hoax people into believing some widespread conspiracy of racism.

Unfortunately, racism is still around us. For example, there was a big undercover expose recently released about real estate agents in Long Island and how prospective black buyers were discriminated against 49% of the time. That's just one narrow slice of the human experience.

Last I checked, it's 2019, not 1861, but here we are.

We did this same circle game 30 yrs ago. It ain’t a WP thing.

Language and symbols are constantly evolving in meaning. There used to be a symbol of peace widely used in popular culture before a small group of white people, widely considered a joke, started killing. Suddenly the swatiska was no longer a nice thing.

Does this mean during WW2 you would've been running around saying the swatiska is ok, because Coca-Cola used it on advertising during the 1920s?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don’t remember seeing any of them punching one another? Just flashing a hand gesture and laughing.

Me thinks they are lying about their intentions because they clearly understand the oldest of white priveledges... that forgiveness comes easier for white people and misunderstandings are a little more clearly understood for white people.

They do have SOME sense of military bearing and discipline...

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If anything should have been learned by people the last couple years it's that those numbers aren't as miniscule as we had hoped they were.

I mean even just here in Iowa, we've hit national news twice in a week because of this **** (the guy with Nazi **** in his yard and the woman who ran over a girl because she was Hispanic). A whole bunch of other racist incidents on campuses including Iowa state, high school students chanting racist **** at other teams.. and hell, we have an extremely racist congressman in the 4th district who our governor embraces- she campaigned with him all the way to the end.

I wish it were just a miniscule percentage. Its not the majority, but it's enough that we can't just brush it off as being miniscule either.

I could point to the fact that the other 3+ million white people in Iowa are not card carrying racists. That said, there are clearly more of these people than meets the eye, unfortunately. I just don't want to see our society continuously go down this path of giving the far minority an equal say (strictly talking about **** like this, not minorities) because we're for some reason not capable of zeroing in on them specifically. It's completely unfair to assume the worst in these situations. Especially when we're taking about a kid in a service academy.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
JFC the "ok sign" isn't a white power sign. It's a popular hand gesture. @Bigman38 this isn't dumb, the ok sign is literally a meme, maybe you are too old to understand.

It's both. And the people with bad intentions chose to co-opt it precisely because historically it hasn't meant anything bad and it was popular. The people "in on the secret" would get it, while the rest of us (well, some of us) don't notice.

Unfortunately I can't weigh in on this specific instance, and it's tricky because we don't actually know. But it's precisely that reason, the fact that we can't outright know intentions, that those of us who aren't racist bags and who know that it has indeed been co-opted by those who are, have to choose to just.. not use it anymore. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it frustrating that ***** people exist and ruin things for the rest of us? ("This is why we can't have nice things", as the saying goes) Yes. But that's reality. None of us "needs" the ok sign or the stupid ******* circle game to live. It's a dumb thing that was co-opted by dumb people for nefarious purposes. So for ***** sake, let it go.

• Winner
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The military has a small but known problem with gangs and white supremacy, so they absolutely had to investigate this. Nasty part about this is the ability to claim plausible deniability. Yes, it was traditionally used as "ok" or the punching game, but in recent years has been used by white supremacists, some who have killed.

Such things cannot be allowed to take root.

Unfortunately, racism is still around us. For example, there was a big undercover expose recently released about real estate agents in Long Island and how prospective black buyers were discriminated against 49% of the time. That's just one narrow slice of the human experience.

Last I checked, it's 2019, not 1861, but here we are.

Language and symbols are constantly evolving in meaning. There used to be a symbol of peace widely used in popular culture before a small group of white people, widely considered a joke, started killing. Suddenly the swatiska was no longer a nice thing.

Does this mean during WW2 you would've been running around saying the swatiska is ok, because Coca-Cola used it on advertising during the 1920s?

Here is what was well known as a common good luck symbol on the Spirit of St Louis nose cone about a decade before the rise of the Nazis.
800px-Spirit_of_St._Louis_Nose_Cone_1.jpg

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I think there is a HUGE segment of the population that doesn't live on social media who would be surprised that the OK symbol is racist. Man I'm not sure I can even TYPE "OK symbol" now...

Don't be a troll. We all know the symbol itself isn't racist. But you're right, I think a lot of people would be surprised to learn that racists have co-opted it as a signal to each other, because this is a relatively recent phenomenon. That's the whole reason they chose that **** hand sign in the first place, because it doesn't inherently have a racist meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.