Gamer nerds: what video game affected you the most emotionally?

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Celeste

Seriously, cannot say enough good things about that game. It is a hard platformer, but the fabulous soundtrack, level design, and touching and relatable story make it an all-timer. If you don't know about it, look it up, honestly. There's a reason this little 2D pixel-art game was nominated for Game of the Year alongside AAA titles like God of War and Spiderman.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
The feelings I had playing WoW Classic with my best friends back in 2004/2005 I don't think I'll ever have again.
Did you subscribe to WoW Classic?

Although I agree. It wasn't the game that made that an emotional experience. It was the part about discovering an entire new world with your close friends. The more they've replaced friends with strangers (battlegroup consolidation, dungeon finder), the worse that game has gotten. Of course, I haven't played it in years though, so maybe it's better now?

Reactions: heitclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
For me it's Super Tecmo Bowl. There were a lot of friendships formed and torn apart because of this game.

tenor.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-20_13-38-10.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-20_13-38-10.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
RDR2 wasn't necessarily non-stop action and fun, but Arthur's "I'm afraid" scene is up there for me. Honestly, towards the end I was getting a bit bored, but when that scene happened it made me realize the subtle yet strong connection I'd made to the morally-divided character throughout my time playing. It caught me off guard, how much it hit me tbh. I didn't cry, but it certainly effected my mood haha

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I loved the FF series when I was a kid. All the SNES JRPG's. RDR. The GTA series.

What really did me in was Mass Effect. I freaking loved Mass Effect. I was so disappointed with the end of that game that I haven't played another game with a narrative arc since.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
For me its NCAA Football. When the online dynasty mode came out my friend and I set to the NCAA Football forums to find others to join. After a year of the thing we had a tight knit group of 12 people playing. We ran it until I got to college and the games stopped coming out.

Most of us are still in touch through social media and texting and a few of us have met in person. Pretty cool when something totally unexpected turns into lasting friendships.

Reactions: cyrocksmypants

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Nothing is as emotionally scarring as ET. Just sucks the life out of you when you realize, it never gets better no matter how long you play.....

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd probably say the last of us. Probably the game that felt the most like i was in a movie.

The Ezio and Cristina story in the Assassins Creed series probably would be up there as well.

Dec 16, 2019
RDR2 wasn't necessarily non-stop action and fun, but Arthur's "I'm afraid" scene is up there for me. Honestly, towards the end I was getting a bit bored, but when that scene happened it made me realize the subtle yet strong connection I'd made to the morally-divided character throughout my time playing. It caught me off guard, how much it hit me tbh. I didn't cry, but it certainly effected my mood haha
RDR2 was fantastic, it is my most favorite game of the decade. The ending was amazing and really enjoyed the epilogue. I do agree it gets a little boring near the end. It took me about 2 months to beat the game. By chapter 5, I was ready for it to be over, but the ending was worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
RDR2 was fantastic, it is my most favorite game of the decade. The ending was amazing and really enjoyed the epilogue. I do agree it gets a little boring near the end. It took me about 2 months to beat the game. By chapter 5, I was ready for it to be over, but the ending was worth it.
that was my feeling too. I loved the visuals, the gameplay, and the characters for the most part. It was really really well done. But I did think it dragged a bit towards the end, and although I understood the reason to switch to John on the ranch, I would've been content with the storyline being done with Arthur. Other than that I had no qualms with the game and loved the way his story played out.

Reactions: Rise of the Clones

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
From a plot and story standpoint - definitely the Mass Effect series. Great story. I was so invested in it and the characters. Still love them. Also RDR2 - Arthur is my boy! On chapter 6, haven’t finished yet. Intentionally.

From an atmosphere and ambiance perspective- Skyrim. That music, that scenery, those sounds. Like an old friend. What a soundtrack.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
For me it's Super Tecmo Bowl. There were a lot of friendships formed and torn apart because of this game.

Mine isn't a what affected me the most story, but it was about Super Tecmo Bowl. I may have even told this story on CF.

One of my friends was hooked on STB as well as RBI Baseball. He was pretty good at them, too. I don't remember ever beating him in RBI.

One day he wants to play STB. He agrees to give me a good team, probably the Raiders or the Giants, and he'll play with a crappy one. I beat him, which was rare even with the handicapping.

Now he wants to play with his team (I don't remember which team it was). I beat him again. One of our other friends (his cousin, actually) shows up somewhere around this time, and I beat him again. He's not to be shamed in his own house and showed up in front of his cousin. Rematch!

I was channeling Lombardi - every call was right. Every run stuffed, every pass defensed, I'm scoring at will. The final score is lost to memory, but it wasn't close - a few TDs.

My friend is seething. We're playing again!

I said, "nah, I'm good. Gonna ride this one for awhile." After four straight Ws (which probably matched my total in the year or two up to this point), I'm feeling pretty good about things. He's badgering me, I tell him no a few more times. Finally, he pushes too far.

I respond saying something along the lines of "you know, I don't think I'm ever going to play this game again."

That was 25+ years ago. And I still haven't played it again.

Yes, he's still demanding a rematch.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Mine isn't a what affected me the most story, but it was about Super Tecmo Bowl. I may have even told this story on CF.

One of my friends was hooked on STB as well as RBI Baseball. He was pretty good at them, too. I don't remember ever beating him in RBI.

One day he wants to play STB. He agrees to give me a good team, probably the Raiders or the Giants, and he'll play with a crappy one. I beat him, which was rare even with the handicapping.

Now he wants to play with his team (I don't remember which team it was). I beat him again. One of our other friends (his cousin, actually) shows up somewhere around this time, and I beat him again. He's not to be shamed in his own house and showed up in front of his cousin. Rematch!

I was channeling Lombardi - every call was right. Every run stuffed, every pass defensed, I'm scoring at will. The final score is lost to memory, but it wasn't close - a few TDs.

My friend is seething. We're playing again!

I said, "nah, I'm good. Gonna ride this one for awhile." After four straight Ws (which probably matched my total in the year or two up to this point), I'm feeling pretty good about things. He's badgering me, I tell him no a few more times. Finally, he pushes too far.

I respond saying something along the lines of "you know, I don't think I'm ever going to play this game again."

That was 25+ years ago. And I still haven't played it again.

Yes, he's still demanding a rematch.
Met a guy at a party who talked mad heat about his STB skills. So I said alright I'll play you. He picks the 49ers, of course, and I picked the Falcons. Dude starts laughing, I had 3 picks with Deion, and 3 TDs to Rison and 200 with Rozier. Beat him 49-0. We call it good.

Later down the road another guy challenges me but this time I'm the over confident one. I don't remember the teams, but he proceeds to do the same thing to me that I did to the other guy. She's a harsh mistress.