Will Iowa State Make NCAA Tourney?

Will ISU make the NCAA Tourney for 19-20 Season?

• Yes

Votes: 69 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 332 82.8%

• Total voters

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
ReSs.gif

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We are pretty much what I thought we'd be preseason. Better than the team from two year ago that missed the tournament, but just below a bubble team. We lost arguably 5 of our 6 most talented players (Wigginton, Horton-Tucker, Shayock, Lard and Babb). The Horton-Tucker loss was unfortunate because he was good enough to go pro, but not good enough to have a huge impact as a freshman. Pretty much the worst case scenario for a recruit. Similar case with Wigginton, although he wasn't really good enough to go to the NBA, but decided to try it anyway. We are lacking scorers in a big way. Either Wigginton or Horton-Tucker would have made a huge difference this season if they had returned.

This. We only have 3 people who played in the NCAA tourney game last year, those 3 combined to go 2-7 for 4pts. Solo helps a little but if you count him, we essentially have 3/4 returning guys who play the same position and are limited offensively. Throw in a developmental recruiting class and you're going to struggle.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you can’t shoot, you need to be able to get offensive rebounds to get second chances. Unfortunately we suck at shooting and rebounding. Hard no to making the tourney.
Our offense is sufficiently effective and efficient, despite our poor 3P shooting and too high 3PA rate. If we can get FTs and transition buckets, our offense can be good enough.

It’s our non-steal/block defense and DReb%.If you can’t defend and defensive rebound, your offense has to be elite.

We’ve got glaring holes, but we have some building blocks. The staff will need to do a good job with exploiting what we can do and dictating matchups.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Our offense is sufficiently effective and efficient, despite our poor 3P shooting and too high 3PA rate. If we can get FTs and transition buckets, our offense can be good enough.

It’s our non-steal/block defense and DReb%.If you can’t defend and defensive rebound, your offense has to be elite.

We’ve got glaring holes, but we have some building blocks. The staff will need to do a good job with exploiting what we can do and dictating matchups.

The bold might be a problem.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seton hall, whom we beat with one of their better players more or less missing the entire game, just beat #7 Maryland, without the same player that got hurt vs us, and their best overall player Myles Powell.

Point being, yes, I think we can make the tournament. College basketball is always a fickle beast, but this year it seems even more volatile than ever... we'll know for sure 6 games into the conference season

• Winner
Reactions: Pat

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Seton hall, whom we beat with one of their better players more or less missing the entire game, just beat #7 Maryland, without the same player that got hurt vs us, and their best overall player Myles Powell.

Point being, yes, I think we can make the tournament. College basketball is always a fickle beast, but this year it seems even more volatile than ever... we'll know for sure 6 games into the conference season
This is exactly why we are in deep doo doo. Lots of teams this year seem to be having off nights and getting beat. Which is ok, it happens. What’s important is to have consistency over the long haul to get you where you want to go. That c word is key and something I haven’t seen from this team at all. Could it show up? Maybe? But until it does it’s NIT

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think at this point, with what we have done in the non con, we have to get at least 9 wins in conference play, and will have to at least have a win against Baylor or Kansas. We certainly can do that, but from the "what have you done for me lately" perspective, I dont see it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron