Need gift idea: A night out in Des Moines area

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hello fanatics, I looked through 13 pages of old off topic threads and couldn't find my answer so here goes.

I want to give a Christmas gift to sister and BIL (early 30s, two kids under 4). They don't get out much recently but they live near Ankeny. I'm thinking a gift card to a restaurant/brewery that was within walking distance of some entertainment.

What does Des Moines/Ankeny/Ames area offer for quality breweries, restaurants, shows etc? They've probably been to several of the usual stops and they're not much for the Court Ave college bars.

Sorry I don't have a lot of specifics, but that might help keep options open. For his 30th bday we took a group to the Iowa Taproom and he loved it. Great beer/food, but that was all we did. I don't remember what's near there for entertainment so I was hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If you're thinking Ankeny, there's a number of restaurants in the Prairie Trail area (Jethro's, District 36, Fongs, etc.). Everything is within walking distance of the new movie theater.

• Friendly
Reactions: dualthreat

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If you're thinking Ankeny, there's a number of restaurants in the Prairie Trail area (Jethro's, District 36, Fongs, etc.). Everything is within walking distance of the new movie theater.

Follow up: are you thinking a night out for them, or with the kids in tow? My suggestion would work for both, but if it's just them I might choose something downtown.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Follow up: are you thinking a night out for them, or with the kids in tow? My suggestion would work for both, but if it's just them I might choose something downtown.

I was thinking just for them... to get away from the kids for a night. But would be open to any ideas

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Might be worth checking out if you can do gift cards/certificates to any of the restaurants on Ingersoll (Eatery A, Sakari, Noah's)

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Gift card toThe Cheese Shop at Shops at Roosevelt for cheese and wine before a gift card to Flying Mango for dinner the follow up with a gift card to Firetrucker to end the night with a nightcap near home for naughty time!

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Hello fanatics, I looked through 13 pages of old off topic threads and couldn't find my answer so here goes.

I want to give a Christmas gift to sister and BIL (early 30s, two kids under 4). They don't get out much recently but they live near Ankeny. I'm thinking a gift card to a restaurant/brewery that was within walking distance of some entertainment.

What does Des Moines/Ankeny/Ames area offer for quality breweries, restaurants, shows etc? They've probably been to several of the usual stops and they're not much for the Court Ave college bars.

Sorry I don't have a lot of specifics, but that might help keep options open. For his 30th bday we took a group to the Iowa Taproom and he loved it. Great beer/food, but that was all we did. I don't remember what's near there for entertainment so I was hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks!
I recommend dinner to Simons and tickets to the Funny Bone

• Agree
Reactions: StormnClone58

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
West Glen they could eat at Bone Fish, Funny Bone, then drinks at the bars to get the mixture right for 5 minutes of boom boom time at the hotel there.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
West Glen they could eat at Bone Fish, Funny Bone, then drinks at the bars to get the mixture right for 5 minutes of boom boom time at the hotel there.

Boo. Why spend your money at chains when you can support local families?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
As an adult I find the Operating Room fun. You can do a gift card for there and a restaurant like Wasabi.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Some good suggestions here but Flying Mango is the correct answer.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Thanks!

Entertainment: you have the Temple Theater (which offers several different things - comedy, plays, musicals, etc) and Centro is located on the ground floor so everything is in one building. You also have the Sculpture Park right there for a nice walk....and other restaurant/drink options in addition to Centro.

If you want more specific ideas (and know what kind of food and entertainment they might like)....and maybe even time of the year you see them using it, feel free to PM me (or add it to this thread) with those additional details.

IMO, if they are in Ankeny, it will make more of an impression if you set something up for them downtown. That said, if they don't ever get out, anything might be a treat for them. ;)

Reactions: dualthreat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron