Wednesday OT - The Worst Is Not

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm having flashbacks to Love Actually... A truly awful song becoming #1

In all fairness, it was supposed to be an awful Christmas song.

New side question:
Are there any Christmas songs that are truly GOOD songs? Not just because of nostalgia, but actually being objectively good songs?

Mariah Carey's POS song is just poppy BS that gets played ad nauseum every year just to piss off everyone in retail.

I guess some of the classics, sung by their original iconic artists can be considered well written and well executed. Anything in the last 40 years is probably poppy crap.

That said, due to nostalgia, I actually like a decent amount of Christmas music more than I should.

Reactions: Angie

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This thread made me think of all of the Christmas songs I listened to when I was a kid.

I remember when I was little, we still had record players (shut up millennials), and we had a stack of random as **** Christmas albums that my sister and I listened to over and over. Filled with songs I'd never heard before or since and weird ass versions of standard Christmas songs.

Now I'm curious if anyone else has heard some of these songs. I looked them up just now and was shocked to see that people have put them on youtube.

One of the albums I remember the best was the Peppermint Kandy Kids - Santa Claus is Coming to Town circa 1972! So I'm guessing my mom got them for my older brother since that's before my time too.
I think there were stories and interludes between the songs as well. So weird remembering these.

mbid-ca37b122-c9b1-4883-91d8-2cb975f25116-12306264573.jpg

The most memorable song that I've never heard since.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Normally I wouldn't do this. But I really start to loathe Christmas music this time of year. So in the absence of ANY good Christmas tunes here's my favorite...

• Friendly

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I've heard so many times that "Christmas Shoes" is the all time worst.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard it. Or if I did it was on some random store background thing and I didn't notice.

I see people posting it, but being forewarned, I DON'T click. Thank you internet!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

New side question:
Are there any Christmas songs that are truly GOOD songs? Not just because of nostalgia, but actually being objectively good songs?

Mariah Carey's POS song is just poppy BS that gets played ad nauseum every year just to piss off everyone in retail.

I guess some of the classics, sung by their original iconic artists can be considered well written and well executed. Anything in the last 40 years is probably poppy crap.

That said, due to nostalgia, I actually like a decent amount of Christmas music more than I should.

I have a Spotify playlist of mostly indie, rap, and alternative holiday music (or goofy, like Eazy E's "Merry Motherf****** Christmas"). I love-love-love the holidays, but cannot handle most of it. I do have a couple of big hits on there (Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is on there because my kids love the song, and I can't find a better alternative), but most of it is at least an attempt at a better version.

Normally I wouldn't do this. But I really start to loathe Christmas music this time of year. So in the absence of ANY good Christmas tunes here's my favorite...

And that song holds a high place of honor on my list. It's awesome!

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

New side question:
Are there any Christmas songs that are truly GOOD songs? Not just because of nostalgia, but actually being objectively good songs
?

Due to nostalgia, I enjoy Raffi's Christmas album. As a wee lad my parents played it a lot.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I was just reading that Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is the #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, 25 years after it was released (LINK). Which, in turn, made me think about how truly dreadful the song is and how people collectively have awful taste.

What is your opinion for the absolute worst Christmas/holiday song? Extra points for posting a link. I think my actual vote may be "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon. "Let's stop all the fight" may be the worst lyrics he's ever written (and I'm not a huge fan of his solo stuff, especially "Imagine"). Please prove me wrong:

I just heard this past weekend that Mariah has made $60 million in royalties off that one song alone. Also, she claims to have written the song in something like 15 minutes.

Side note, I'm laughing at @cyrocksmypants struggling to deal with the revelation that you don't like the song "Imagine"

• Funny

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Not as bad as Christmas Shoes or Christmas in Iowa but a bad one I wish I hadn't been introduced to this year "Donde Esta Santa Clause?" (1958). It is a tenacious earworm.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I just heard this past weekend that Mariah has made $60 million in royalties off that one song alone. Also, she claims to have written the song in something like 15 minutes.

Side note, I'm laughing at @cyrocksmypants struggling to deal with the revelation that you don't like the song "Imagine"

Is he a big fan? I didn't know that!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Wait, whut? @Angie is this true?!

Happy Xmas is absolutely not a Christmas song and I’ve been saying that for years.

But no Imagine?! I literally have that tattooed on my body.....

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Wait, whut? @Angie is this true?!

Happy Xmas is absolutely not a Christmas song and I’ve been saying that for years.

But no Imagine?! I literally have that tattooed on my body.....

I love the idea behind it. I don't even have any problem with the actual song. It's just more who he was behind closed doors juxtaposed on it that gets to me. I have no better explanation!

Reactions: CloneLawman

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have a Spotify playlist of mostly indie, rap, and alternative holiday music (or goofy, like Eazy E's "Merry Motherf****** Christmas"). I love-love-love the holidays, but cannot handle most of it. I do have a couple of big hits on there (Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is on there because my kids love the song, and I can't find a better alternative), but most of it is at least an attempt at a better version.

And that song holds a high place of honor on my list. It's awesome!

Now I'm trying to think of some more non-traditional Christmas songs

The good:

A poorer version, but with a video:

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa

Somehow this is my wife's favorite Christmas song.

I heard this song for the first time about 4 years ago when I was in the Chicago area for work in early December.

If you can't enjoy a song about an "Italian Christmas donkey" then what are we really doing?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I heard this song for the first time about 4 years ago when I was in the Chicago area for work in early December.

If you can't enjoy a song about an "Italian Christmas donkey" then what are we really doing?
When you are in college and your then girlfriend now wife plays it on repeat while studying for finals is how.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site